Having trouble with my 01 F150 starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having trouble with my 01 F150 starting

For the last few weeks my truck has had a problem cranking. When i turn the key i have plenty power but it does nothing when i turn the key to crank it. Ill have to turn the key 5 or 6 times and it will finally turn over. Tonight it wouldnt turn over at all. I ended up popping the hood. After about an hour i decided to try sticking a screwdriver to the solenoid and it cranked right up....anybody know what it could be??

Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Press and hold the brake, turn key from off to run ( do not start ) and shift into neutral.

Try starting here, while still holding the brake.

This is just a quick test to see if the DTR ( Digital Transmission Range ) Sensor is having an issue in the park position.

If this proved the same symptoms ( no crank no start ) next is to check and see if the power is getting to the DTR, and if power is leaving the DTR.

To check, you will need two people.
Remember to secure the truck with the parking brake, wheel chocks, etc.

When the key is in the start position, you should have power to the Tan w/ Red stripe wire on the start motor relay on the firewall ( Is this is what you jumpered, the solenoid is on the starter itself ).

The power with the key in the start position will have power to the Dark Blue w/ Orange stripe wire on the DTR.

in Park or Neutral, power will be leaving on the Tan w/ Red stripe wire.

If you have power to the DTR, but none leaving on either park or Neutral, time to check the resistance or continuity on the DTR when the truck is in park and in neutral.

With the key off and in park, check resistance from the Dark Blue w/ Orange stripe wire to the Tan w/ Red stripe wire. Should show continuity or < 50 ohms resistance.
If not, could be the DTR connector is dirty or there is something wrong with the contacts. Start by checking the connector on the DTR both the make and female pins. You will need good flashlight to do this, as you will need to look for darkness on the contacts.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where would the DTR be located??

Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry about that, all that and I leave it off the location

Driver's side of the transmission.

Quick Reply: Having trouble with my 01 F150 starting