Energizer Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Energizer Battery?

Well, it looks like it's time for a new battery in the Lariat. I was working on it yesterday, and had the key on for about 30 minutes. Afterward, it woudn't start.

I've been pricing out batteries, and would love to get an Interstate, but the 850 CCA model is $120. I can get the 675 CCA unit for $90, though, and this would be just a bit more than the stock 650. Warranty on the 850 is 85 months (30-month free replacement), and the 675 is 75/24

At the other end of the price spectrum is the Energizer battery from Sam's club with 850CCA, 36-mo replacement and 96-mo pro-rated warranty for $75.

Money's tight right now while still looking for work, so I'm leaning heavily toward the Energizer unit, especially with the long warranty and 850CCA. OTOH, warranties are great, but you don't want to have to use them. $15 won't break me if the Interstate will actually out-perform the Energizer, but it's smaller with less warranty coverage.

Bottom line, has anyone used the Energizer batteries, and if so, how did they perform/last?

Thanks.

Andy

Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ask them at Sam's Club who makes the "Energizer"? Hope it's not the same people who make the flashlight batteries. Not likely, just the same name. I definitely won't use the "Bunny Batteries". Lost more good flashlights that way than I can count. There aren't many good batteries any more, regardless of what the warranty says.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's made by Johnson Controls, who private-labels many batteries. From doing a bit of research, it seems that this battery may be the same as Autozone's Duralast Gold, which received high marks in Consumer Reports' testing. Same ratings, same warranty, and same manufacturer. (Even the date-code stickers look like they came off the same roll.)

I also found in CR that the lower-rated Interstate performed much worse than the higher CCA-rated one, and even this one fell behind the Duralast in their testing. I always thought Interstate was crème de la crème.

I picked one up yesterday. Guess we'll see how it performs.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 04-25-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea we had some interstates in our boat and theyre both crap. we got some die hards and have been good.

Quick Reply: Energizer Battery?