Heated Seats, Compass and Cruise not working...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated Seats, Compass and Cruise not working...

Hey guys, just bought a 2002 KR Super Crew 4x4 yesterday. The guy told me that he heard that these had a problem with the sunroof seal getting dirt in them and not sealing properly. Thus, letting water in and dripping down the pillar (inside) and shorting out some grounds screws and it makes the heated seats, compass and cruise all not work. The compass doesn't light up at nor do the seats and the cruise blinks fast one time when I press "set". So, I took off the kick panel to see what screws he was talking about and I only found one so I un-hooked it and cleaned the connection, still nothing. Does this sound like bull or is this a legitimate solution. If not have any ideas?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The overhead console lights ( compass ), ground from the clock spring in the steering wheel, and heated seats do share a common ground and splice. G200 is in the passenger side kick panel by the fuel inertia switch ( actually looks closer to the floor, but behind that panel ). Also a splice moving away from that ground point. The splice is for the heated seats and the overhead console, and the other wire on that bolt should be from the clock spring ( should only be 2 wires ).

Is this the ground you checked ?

Quick test could be to check for continuity between the heated seat module ( under each seat ), the black wire in pin 8 on the connector should be the same at the bolt in the kick panel body and at the seat ( < 10 ohms between the module and the bolt ).

Depending on what you find with that:

1. CC not working
1.1. Did you have the CC recall done ?
1.2. Does you CHMSL work ?
1.3. Did you try the self test ?

Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING:
This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in park only with emergency brake fully engaged.

1. Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.

2. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.

If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.

The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.

Note:
There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

3. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.

If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

— 2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).

— 3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.

— 4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective

4. Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

5. Return the ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to the Symptom Chart.
2. Compass not working
2.1. Do the map lights in the overhead work ?
2.1.1. Same circuit as the illuminated vanity mirrors.
2.2. Did you check the fuse

3. Power seat portion works, but the heating part does not ?
3.1. Have you checked both sides to see if either work.
3.2. Did you check both fuses for the heated seats ( there are 2 for both to work ). I would say CJB ( aka Central Junction Box . cab fuse panel ) Fuse #23, 10A is blown if the controller does not turn on, but check both of them to be sure.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
What is the little module deal for the speed control on the master cylinder called?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ToofastFX
What is the little module deal for the speed control on the master cylinder called?
I do believe the correct name is Secondary Safety Switch Cruise Control or Secondary Disconnect switch cruise control.

That is what I asked in question 1.1, have you had the recall done ?

Did you get a chance to check the ground to the heated seat module ?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi i have a 2002 f150 king ranch with the cc, console and heated seats not working.
I checked the ground in the passenger kick panel and its still shinny and i get my ten ohms to pin number eight on the heated seat module.
I looked in the driver kick panel and found another ground. That one quite rusted. I couldnt get the bolt out yet to clen it up. I was wondering if that could have something to do with it.
Then i noticed i didnt ave a heated seat module under the driver side seat. Do i need one on each side for them to work properly.

1.1 havent checked for a recall yet
1.2 whats a chmsl?
1.3 tried the self test. I get three flashes. Where do i go from there

2.1 map lights work
2.1.1 mirror lights dont
2.2 didnt check that fuse yet

3.1 both sides dont work
3.2both fuses are good
Thanks

Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 PM

That rusted ground lug very well could be it. When you get it out, check to make sure the wire is not corroded up inside the insulation on the eye terminal.

the CHMSL = Center High Mount Stop Lamp ( also called 3rd stop lamp ).

3 Flashes from the self test is the deactivator switch is open or circuit defective. This is part of the recall, might want to unplug the deactivator switch at the end of the brake booster until you can get the recall done.

The heated seat module is under both seats, else the seat without it will not have the heated seat function.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats, Compass and Cruise not working...