Ford 500 Disable Key/Door chime-HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ford 500 Disable Key/Door chime-HELP!

This chime is driving me crazy! It is extremely loud - scares the crap out of me and wakes up the kids. Chimes with every door/trunk opening, keys in the ignition, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1% oil life, turn signal on off ramps, etc... I have driven other fords and the sound is a pleasant 'ping' - mine is more like an alarm - literally makes you jump out of your skin when it comes on.

After taking apart the dash I found the little box causing all the trouble but it is located inside the circuit board box containing the spedometer and other guages. I cannot access it without breaking the box. The dealers will not program it to stop. I cannot access it even to cover it a bit to make it quieter. Can someone PLEASE tell me which wire to snip off of the harness to make it stop??? Or tell me which fuse controls it??? The owners manual is no help with this.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MFORD500
This chime is driving me crazy! It is extremely loud - scares the crap out of me and wakes up the kids. Chimes with every door/trunk opening, keys in the ignition, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1% oil life, turn signal on off ramps, etc... I have driven other fords and the sound is a pleasant 'ping' - mine is more like an alarm - literally makes you jump out of your skin when it comes on.

After taking apart the dash I found the little box causing all the trouble but it is located inside the circuit board box containing the spedometer and other guages. I cannot access it without breaking the box. The dealers will not program it to stop. I cannot access it even to cover it a bit to make it quieter. Can someone PLEASE tell me which wire to snip off of the harness to make it stop??? Or tell me which fuse controls it??? The owners manual is no help with this.
MFORD500- What model of car are we talking about here? I did code 3 outfitting before I retired and we took those out all the time. You say the box you located is electro sealed? I've never seen one that was. The BCM on the Crown Vic's was under the dash and only took about 5 min. to take it out and remove the ding speaker. The Expeditions and Excursions were quite a bit more work because you had to take the instrument cluster out (it was on the printed circuit board in the instrument housing). Re-examine your memory about whether the box was actually sealed- I have never seen one that was. We took them out PERMANENTLY- if you can get into where the speaker is (it's a little round black cylinder about 1" in diameter and 1/2 " thick with a hole for the sound to come out about 3/8" in diameter), we simply took a pair of pliers and twisted it and it broke off. (it is soldered into the board) That's why I said we removed it PERMANENTLY- it's not going back! It had no effect on any other systems- simply there to annoy you. Do this at your own risk but we did it on literally thousands of vehicles with no ill effect. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

I doubt that there is a fuse and also doubt there is a wire to snip when it is built into the instrument cluster. Be sure and tell us what vehicle your working on.

Last edited by code58; 08-07-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is a Ford 500 2005. The black box is small - can't see the entire thing - located in the small space between the spedometer/tachometer and the circuit board behind them. I cannot get in there with a tool to get it out without damaging the glue and clips that hold the entire unit together. I was hoping there would be a wire just for that. I am afraid of damaging the circuit board or panel if I open the case up. Any tricks to it? Thank you so much for the response you gave!!

Quick Reply: Ford 500 Disable Key/Door chime-HELP!