Old 04-13-2015, 06:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ele...door-open.html

ISSUE
Radio continues to play even while the door is opened. This could be symptomatic of the accessory delay relay stuck in on or this could be the fault of corroded wiring.

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem solved

Originally Posted by sarmstrong13
I am new to this, so excuse me if its already posted, but i dont seem to have tbe purple wire spliced into 2 other wires. I have an 07 f150 xlt supercrew, no interior lights no dash lights, no audio, and radio stays on after key removed a nd door open, please help
Well my problem was solved today, mine was a connector that worked itself loose somehow, behind front drivers side kick panel.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:47 PM
I have a 2003 f250 7.3 that is have the same issues with radio, no door ajar light, doors won't auto lock when driving, no auto headlights, and no dome lights when I open the doors. I replaced the vsm with a new one and nothing changed, would a f250 have the same wire in the same place? This is about to drive me insane!!!

Old 02-16-2015, 04:21 PM
i honestly dont even know what i did... i took the rear sill plate off... checked wires for corrosion... not visible and didnt have the two purple wires just one ... took off the drivers kick panel jiggled the wire connections in there and for some strange reason the radio was turning off when the key was removed and door was open... i dont expect it to last however but i will see what progresses...

Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 PM
I have an 04 lariat F150 screw 4x4 that I purchased in October with 83k miles. Honestly, I've never had so many problems with a vehicle in my life and I've only had this thing for 5k miles...but I won't get into all that. I fixed the purple wire in the door sill a few months back thanks to this site (along with most of the other crap), as well as the dome light that was leaking. Recently, I noticed that my radio stayed on again after I got out of the truck. I shut the door again a few times and no change...same data errors on the dash and exact same symptoms I was having before I fixed the purple wire. I figured maybe my splice came loose. Pulled everything apart, re-stripped the wires, cleaned them with acid to get the copper nice and shinny, soldered on a new jumper wire and no change. I still have the issue. So the connection is now broken somewhere else. I took off the drivers kick panel and all that stuff seemed normal, jiggled everything and unplugged/plugged everything and no change. Checked all along the floor boards from front to back and it looks pretty normal, been dry in there ever since I fixed the 3rd brake light leak. I pulled the door cover off the drivers side to check to see if anything had disconnected or come lose, but everything looks like it's connected as normal, and the door mechanism and switch all seem to be working fine.

Does anyone know where that purple wire goes after it passes into the back of the cab? Is there a computer back there, or another connector somewhere? I'm assuming the problem is in the back, because that's where the water damage was from the 3rd brake light leaking for god knows how long. I guess it's not the end of the world if I can't fix it, but just super frustrating. I bought this truck to tow my 1970 911 to track events, and I end up spending more time working on my tow vehicle than I do my hobby car.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Had the same issue on my 06 SCREW. Not sure it's set up the same but I disconnected the battery and pulled each of the relays out of the right (passenger) side junction box. Put them all back in, reconnected the battery and all was right with the world again. That was a couple of years ago and no issues since.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 AM
I had the same problems, looking for the purple wire in mine (doesnt exist in my 07 xlt) i took it to the stealership, turned out my connector behind drivers kick panel worked it way loose check that.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM
did you find it yet?

Old 03-22-2015, 04:27 PM
06 F150 4x4 5.4L same issue

Originally Posted by BigJD
You know how you can take the key out of the ignition (after turning off), and radio continues until you open the door?

Well, yesterday I opened the door, and the radio kept playing. I figured maybe it was a glitch...but test after test, restart after restart over 2 days....problem still occurring.

Anyone have this problem before, and if so, do you know what the fix is?

Thanks.
I followed the purple wire to connection block left front drivers side behind e-brake. Bad connection. Rat's nest of wires. Subject to corrosion. Issue solved until next time.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Found the purple wires under rear sill plate back door drivers side! Just pull the purple wire a little. It will break very easy! Broken wire marks the problem! Splice together! All problems solved! This is for the f150 2004 Lariat! Thanks to all that posted the remedy !

Old 01-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Can u send me pics. Im experiencing the problem now

Originally Posted by FattyBogora
I finally fixed the problem today. I found the bad splice in the wire, fixed it and now my radio shuts off when I open the door...and I don't have the data error anymore. Oh ya, and my power seats memory function works again.

FYI: The wire is Violet and is located on the driver's side wire bundler, right before the bundle goes into the rear pillar area. I took a picture if anyone is interested...

Old 01-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by RYAN NACIANCENO
Can u send me pics. Im experiencing the problem now
I only was successful by the picks I found on this site. They had good pics posted! It has been the answer to the problem since!

Old 01-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
See post 98 for pictures showing how to locate the wire splice that may be the problem.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:05 AM
Driver Door Electrical Problem

In my 2008 Ford F150 King Ranch. When I open the Driver door the dome light does not come on but other doors when opened do activate the dome light. Also, when the driver door is opened the Radio does not automatically turn off. All the window and locking switches in the door work, Any suggestions?

Last edited by Tincupgolfer; 01-05-2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Tincupgolfer
In my 2008 Ford F150 King Ranch. When I open the Driver door the dome light does not come on but other doors when opened do activate the dome light. Also, when the driver door is opened the Radio does not automatically turn off. All the window and locking switches in the door work, Any suggestions?
Check the switch in the latch for the driver's door. Give it a WD40 "high colonic" (google it).

Old 01-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Reseal the third brake light

After having the problem with water getting into the wire trough and causing the wire splice to stop working, I removed the third brake light and found that the rubber gasket was misaligned. I just realigned it and screwed it back down, and it no longer leaks.

Quick Reply: 04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open