Electrical Smoke Test... help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Smoke Test... help!

Hey all, I am having electrical issues with my running lights, and I've checked as much as I can, and still can not find a bad connection / short.

I heard from a shade tree mechanic, that I could do a "smoke test".

If anyone has any experience with this, can you please chime in!

Basically I want to isolate the fuse in question, and all the rear end wiring that goes to this fuse, and "jump" the fuse with a clip, and look for the smoke / smell.

Is this possible, or am I crazy?

Thanks in advance...

Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by FarrOut
Hey all, I am having electrical issues with my running lights, and I've checked as much as I can, and still can not find a bad connection / short.

I heard from a shade tree mechanic, that I could do a "smoke test".

If anyone has any experience with this, can you please chime in!

Basically I want to isolate the fuse in question, and all the rear end wiring that goes to this fuse, and "jump" the fuse with a clip, and look for the smoke / smell.

Is this possible, or am I crazy?

Thanks in advance...

The "fire" test is more accurate.........

Old 12-21-2007, 09:09 PM
NOT RECOMENDED, DO NOT TRY!!!!!

as a local vol. FF i have been to a few car fires, they go up REAL quick. the fuses are there for a reason, don't bypass them.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 PM
X2 what KDracing says. By running lights I think you are referring to the tail lights in the back. What is the problem? Are the lights not coming on or does the fuse blow when you turn on the lights? Lights not coming on means bad connection, broken wire or blown fuse. Fuses blowing means direct short to ground (the frame). Is it more than one light or both sides? Isolate the wires to the lights and check with a tester with a sharp point and built in light. You can check for voltage up to the sockets. I had an old car that had water in a socket that would blow fuses every time I turned on the lights.
Good luck. These things can make you pull your hair out.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:59 PM
get a infrared temperature sensor run it along the harnest when the temp raise that where your short is this way you won't burn the truck down

Old 12-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by magel
get a infrared temperature sensor run it along the harnest when the temp raise that where your short is this way you won't burn the truck down

The truck will have burned to the ground before you ever find the problem that way...besides it won't work. The current is the same in the complete wire in which the short circuit is present, not just at the point where the short circuit is at.

You can buy a short circuit tester that injects an AC signal into the harness, then you traced the path of the current using the included detector.

Steve

Quick Reply: Electrical Smoke Test... help!