New alternator and battery, but battery light is still on.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lay down the gun, step away from the cliff, get away from the speeding bus...

I had the exact same symptoms at almost the exact same time and was considering the afterlife until I checked fuse #11 for the 5th time. It looked great, it looked clean on the contacts and for some strange reason I thought I'd just check continuity since I had the meter there. It was open, I looked at it again and it looked perfect, almost. Along the one side there was a hairline crack. When I twisted the fuse in my hand the thing opened up. I invested $3 dollars in a whole bunch of fuses and one of them did more than the new alternator I bought, the new serpentine belt, the witch doctor....

Old 09-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Well my neck is about worn out from shaking after reading how many times people say things look ok when trying to solve a problem.
Looks don't count more than half the time as you found out.
Have to test operation or some indicators, if operation is infact proper.
There are meters, gauges, scanners and knowledge that has to be used otherwise, money, time and aggravation is spent, as a result.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Without going back thru all the replies, your drawing does not show the 20 amp small fuse but neither here nor there at this point.
The charge lite is put out when the alternator charge voltage comes up to a certain value.
This says either the alternator or the regulating unit is possibly at fault.
Start the truck and check if you see at least 15 volts at the battery by raising the idle by hand. This tells you if the alternator is outputting.
If it doesnot rise you have a fault with the charging unit.
Could be the harness or connectors, open fuse link.
Do the same test on the alternator side of the fuse link if there was no rise at the battery. This tells you the link is open if you see the voltage rise at that point.
Theres' not much else to have a problem with.
I got the trusty alternator out, and tested at the battery. It showed just over 10 volts, didn't change a bit when I reved the engine, I tested on the alternator side of the Fuze link, and it was the same voltage. I then tested the voltage on the actual alternator post that leads to the battery, And it showed the same voltage even when I reved it, I am assuming that there should be a higher voltage coming directly from the alternator. I guess I will take off the alternator and make another trip to the 'ol autozone and see if I can find someone who is capable of testing an alternator correctly.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Update... I went to auto zone, and the alternator was good, Which leads me to the harness, which is about the only thing I think it still could be. I'm going to have to call and see how much those run exactly.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:41 PM
try a different brand alternator. its possible to have a run of bad alternators

Old 10-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Well I brought it in yesterday to Village Auto Electric in Mesa, They had it done in less than a day, and it was 130 bucks. It was the wiring harness to the alternator, apparently one of the connectors was corroded inside of it, they replaced part of it, and low and behold no more battery light. Praise the sweet lord, I can finally drive my truck on its sweet new BFG Tires that have less than 20 miles on them. Thanks to everyone who helped me w/ this, and I hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Had a charging problem on 2000 f250 6.8. Found 12 ga fuse able link bad. Could apply 12 volts to orange wire on regulator and alternator would work. Wire had battery voltage on when unplugged from alternator, but only 5 volts plugged in.

Just a heads up. Found this thread on good search for charging problems.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Beware of Cheaper Alternators. Your battery light might stay on.

I bought a cheap alternator from TYC ($80) to replace my stock that had gone bad. Although it preformed well as far as output etc. the battery light and "check charging system" warning stayed on. After ruling everything else out I figured out that the cheap replacement wasn't compatible with the computer. I guess ford still has a monopoly on compatible replacement alternators. I probably could have driven it with the light on and it would have been fine. I paid $200 for a rebuilt (carquest) from Autozone and the light went out and it works fine. (Plus its guaranteed for life). Hope someone finds this helpful. Mine is a 2004 F150 lariat.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:15 PM
Hi All,
I own a 2001 Ford Excursion and like many on this forum, struggled with the alternator not charging the battery. I spent hours and hours troubleshooting and reading forum posts. I swapped out a new alternator when it wasn't charging and the 2nd "new" alternator wasn't charging either. Here's what finally solved my problem...

The main power wire that runs from the positive battery terminal to the 3 wire connector that plugs into the alternator isn't providing 12 volts to the alternator (required to active it). The strange thing was that if I disconnected the connector and measured voltage when the engine was off, I had 12V. If I connected the connector and measured voltage while the engine was *running*, it would drop down to ~ 1V. I'm not sure why. It took me a while to figure this out though. Anyway, I wound up running my own wire from the positive battery terminal to the connector (soldered / spliced the wires) and capped off / taped the original power wire. The other 2 wires on the connector are hooked up in their original configuration.

That did it! I now have ~ 14.6V when running the car across the battery terminals.

I thought I'd follow up with this post in case someone can learn from my experience.

Regards,

-Jason

Old 09-11-2021, 06:06 AM
Battery

Originally Posted by heffelfinger007
So the other day I was driving to work, and when I was getting off the freeway, the radio started fritzing out, getting all fuzzy, and dim. Well when I got off work, I went out and tried to start my truck, and the battery was dead. I had my buddy jump me, and it ran for about 20 seconds, then it just died. I jumped it again, and I noticed the battery light was on, then the gauges died, and so did the truck. The next day, I replaced the alternator, with a new one from Autozone that I had them test, and I replaced the 6 year old original battery, with a new Optima battery. The truck started right up, but the battery light remained on. I was able to drive home, about 15 miles on the freeway, at night with my lights on etc. without any problems, the voltage gauge stayed steady, slightly over halfway up, and never dipped or anything. I just cant figure out why the darn battery light will not go off. If anyone has an idea, it would sure help. Thanks!
I have the same problem.
Light stays on even after replacing battery and now my 3rd alternator in 3 weeks

Quick Reply: New alternator and battery, but battery light is still on.