How to disable door/key/lights on/seatbelt buzzer????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to disable door/key/lights on/seatbelt buzzer????

I'm hoping someone knows how to disable the annoying door ajar, key in ignition, lights on, seat belt buzzer or dinger. I found a large electronic box under the dash where the sound comes from, but I don't know what else this black box does.

Any suggestions? It's so annoying to have the truck running and the thing dinging away reminding me I'm not wearing the seatbelt. I wear the thing when I'm driving but don't need all the reminders Ford thinks we need.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2003, 09:57 PM
I drive an E250 for work everyday. I hated that door chime since I am in and out of the van 30+ times a day. Anyway... I know of the infamous black box. All I had to do is unplug it, pry it open and slide out the small electronic board. On the board you should see a round black thing, the size of a quarter. Inside is the speaker. I used a small screwdriver that would insert into the hole and twisted it around until the speaker was destroyed. (This does no damage to the circuit board.) Plug it back in and test it to make sure that you in fact killed the speaker. That box is in a pain in the @ss place you only want to have to go in there the original 2 times. This way the box stays and the sound goes

Good luck, hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:47 AM
I have an 02 and I hated that sound, If you go under the seat, there are two harnesses. One for an airbag and one for the seat belt sensor. Just pull the seat belt one apart. The yellow one is an airbag im almost positvie. Just unclip it and the dinging wont annoy you anymore. just turn the truck on and make sure the airbag light doesnt come on, than you need to pull the other one and reattach the airbag one. Much easier than finding the speaker and killing it, ive looked for it and its a bitch
Ry

Old 10-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by 02F15054
One for an airbag and one for the seat belt sensor. Just pull the seat belt one apart. The yellow one is an airbag im almost positvie. Ry
Won't that only take care of the seatbelt chime? The other way will take care of all chimes By what was said I think he has the box in hand anyway.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:32 AM
How do I get to this famous black box ??????

Old 06-10-2004, 11:10 PM
BeltMinder Enable/Disable
The Belt MinderTM is the electronic warning system to remind you to use your safety belt system. It's a combination of a sounding chime and the illuminating warning light on your instrument panel. The Belt Minder is active from the time the truck leaves the factory. When active, if the driver's safety belt is not buckled in about 5 seconds from the time the warning light has turned off, the warning light will again illuminate and the alarm chime will sound for 6 seconds, repeating itself every 30 seconds for the next 5 minutes, or until you buckle your seat belt. This procedure applies to most newer vehicles equipped with BeltMinder, not just Ford trucks.

Important Notes:
Follow these instructions at your own risk! Not wearing your seatbelt may be illegal in your area. Always be sure you're aware of your local laws, and wearing your seatbelt!

Procedures
You can Deactivate the Belt Minder two ways. First, you can deactivate it temporarily for your current "run cycle", that is after you have started your car and it's still running. Second, you completely deactivate the Belt Minder so that it never reminds you again, or at least until your reactivate it...

The first method, temporary deactivation, or one time disable: After you have started your vehicle, buckle and then un-buckle your safety belt. Be sure to buckle back up.... This will disable the Belt Minder only for that ignition cycle.

The second method, permanent deactivation: There are 9 steps you need to follow to deactivate or activate your Belt Minder system. Before doing so, make sure that:
The parking brake is set.
The truck/car is in Park (automatic), Neutral (manual).
The ignition is OFF.
All doors are closed.
The driver's safety belt is un-buckled.
The parking and headlights are OFF.
Then follow these 9 steps:

Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.
Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).
Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!

Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.
Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.

Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt.
This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds.
Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.
After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete.
BeltMinderTM is a registered Trademark of Ford Motor Company.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:52 PM
I would not disconnect the wire harness under the seat. I would use the instructions shown above to accomplish removing the sound. I am fairly sure that during a wreck the airbag deploys differently if you are wearing your seatbelt or not wearing it. If you mess with the wire harness it may degrade the effectivness of the airbag. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: How to disable door/key/lights on/seatbelt buzzer????