Edge Evolution Programer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evolution Programer

I bought a edge evolution programmer over the summer for my 01' 5.4 f-150and I can't seem to get this sucker to recalibrate my tire size. Whats the trick? Also my tires are 35's. Anybody have a similar set-up and running a custom tune to help me out? I haven't messed with it a whole lot but I have been running it on level one which is transmission i think. I want to get some extra MPG and maybe some acceleration. I don't want it to be doggy. Either a set-up for better feul economy or for more acceleration and top speed. My main goal is just to get my odometer set right. Its kinda annoying when my speedo says I'm going 55 but actually 60. Just a little pet peeve. Also anyone hook this up to a computer and use it that way? Any help would be appreciated. I know very little about this programmer and just trying to get everything i can out of it.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 95'F-150
I bought a edge evolution programmer over the summer for my 01' 5.4 f-150and I can't seem to get this sucker to recalibrate my tire size. Whats the trick? Also my tires are 35's. Anybody have a similar set-up and running a custom tune to help me out? I haven't messed with it a whole lot but I have been running it on level one which is transmission i think. I want to get some extra MPG and maybe some acceleration. I don't want it to be doggy. Either a set-up for better feul economy or for more acceleration and top speed. My main goal is just to get my odometer set right. Its kinda annoying when my speedo says I'm going 55 but actually 60. Just a little pet peeve. Also anyone hook this up to a computer and use it that way? Any help would be appreciated. I know very little about this programmer and just trying to get everything i can out of it.
If you're running the Level 1 tune, it is really only firming up your transmission shifts. When I got my Edge (that has since been converted to a Gryphon with custom tunes) I used the Level 2 tow tune. Are your tires "stock"? I'm assuming NO, since you are having trouble in this area, but I wanted to check anyway.

Here's what I'd do in your place: Return your vehicle to Level 0 - the stock tune your truck came from the factory with. Then, choose "Power Programming" and choose whichever level you want, but don't choose Level 3 unless you drive with 91+octane gas. Skip the "Custom Program" option and let the programmer reprogram the PCM. Doing this will load your factory installed gear ratio and tire sizes into the calibration section of the PCM.

Now, if your tire size is different than stock, go back, reselect "Power Programming" and this time say "Yes" to the "Create a Custom Program" option. When that menu appears, first - scroll to and accept "Load Previous Settings"!. Do this step anytime you are "playing" with the options! Check your Gear Ratio next, it may not be right - correct it if it is not and hit <Enter> to set it. Scroll to Tire Size. The Edge manual says the number here should be 2792mm for 35's. This is actually too large because the tire "flattens" out due to the weight of the truck so its rolling radius is reduced, which in turn, reduces the effective circumference (size). I'd try a figure that is 5% lower: 2652mm. You say you indicate 55mph when you are actually doing 60, which is about 8%, so you may have to enter an even smaller size, but, start at 5% and see what happens. Hit <Enter> to accept your new size and then scroll to the "Done" entry and hit that. Let the programmer reprogram the PCM - it will take quite a bit longer this time.

Your battery needs to be in good shape for all of this. Make sure your AC blower is off, radio off, no lights on, etc. I've actually done mine with a charger connected.

Test drive the truck with the new data loaded and determine your percent error. If you indicate, say 58mph when you are actually doing 60, you need to subtract an additional 3% or 80mm from the 2652 figure. Remember to Load Previous Settings when you reenter the Custom Program menu! Don't be surprised if the tire circumference has changed slightly (a few mm) when you see it - this is an effect of "rounding" and is not really significant. Also, recheck that your gear ratio value is correct and reset it if necessary.

Hope this helps and makes at least a bit of sense!

- Jack

Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Well see when I go to put the 35in into the custom tune data it says that option is not avaliable. So i didn't know if i was doing anything wrong.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Well see when I go to put the 35in into the custom tune data it says that option is not avaliable. So i didn't know if i was doing anything wrong.
Now I'm confused (which is nothing new)! Are you saying there's no "Tire Size" option in the Custom Options menu? If so, talk to Edge. I'm sure your truck has this capability and you probably need a firmware or version update.

Otherwise, if this option exists, hit enter to select it and then just use the up or down arrows to select 2652.

- Jack

Old 01-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Now I'm confused (which is nothing new)! Are you saying there's no "Tire Size" option in the Custom Options menu? If so, talk to Edge. I'm sure your truck has this capability and you probably need a firmware or version update.

Otherwise, if this option exists, hit enter to select it and then just use the up or down arrows to select 2652.

- Jack
No. Okay it has a option for it but when i go to change it from the stock tire size to 35in and then hit enter it says it is unable to change it. I don't remember the exact words that it says. I'll go out there and play with it in a little bit to refresh my memory.

Is there annyway of hooking the screen up to a computer and downloading a custom tune off of a site and uploading it to my truck? It came with a disk when i bought it and i think i still have it somewhere. Idk how these programmers really work. I'm pretty unfamiliar with these programmers. I can't really tell a huge difference from stock to any level on the programmer. I know the level 3 performance doesn't do as good on MPG as level 1 or 2.

Also if it helps any i installed a K&N series 57 CAI a few days before i installed the chip. I don't think that should make a difference should it?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Global Moderator &

No. Okay it has a option for it but when i go to change it from the stock tire size to 35in and then hit enter it says it is unable to change it. I don't remember the exact words that it says. I'll go out there and play with it in a little bit to refresh my memory.

Is there annyway of hooking the screen up to a computer and downloading a custom tune off of a site and uploading it to my truck? It came with a disk when i bought it and i think i still have it somewhere. Idk how these programmers really work. I'm pretty unfamiliar with these programmers. I can't really tell a huge difference from stock to any level on the programmer. I know the level 3 performance doesn't do as good on MPG as level 1 or 2.

Also if it helps any i installed a K&N series 57 CAI a few days before i installed the chip. I don't think that should make a difference should it?
Actually, the CAI can cause your truck to run lean. Bill Cohron at PHP explained it as being caused by more air moving around the airflow sensor than through it (which I think was a gross simplification), but let's just say the airflow sensor is "fooled" by the CAI and won't permit enough fuel to properly balance the increased airflow.

The fix for this is custom tunes. Bill can compensate for the CAI if you convert your Edge to a Gryphon.

And, you keep using 35in in your tire size problem. The value you MUST enter is the tire circumference in millimeters. If you are trying to set it to 35, I can see why it won't "take". See if you can change the default value you see to 2652. Let me know what happens then.

I know of no way to hook your Edge up to a computer for the purpose of downloading a custom tune. The Edge cannot be custom tuned! If you convert it to a Gryphon, you WILL download custom tunes through an application PHP calls "Pegasus" on your PC.

- Jack

Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Actually, the CAI can cause your truck to run lean. Bill Cohron at PHP explained it as being caused by more air moving around the airflow sensor than through it (which I think was a gross simplification), but let's just say the airflow sensor is "fooled" by the CAI and won't permit enough fuel to properly balance the increased airflow.

The fix for this is custom tunes. Bill can compensate for the CAI if you convert your Edge to a Gryphon.

And, you keep using 35in in your tire size problem. The value you MUST enter is the tire circumference in millimeters. If you are trying to set it to 35, I can see why it won't "take". See if you can change the default value you see to 2652. Let me know what happens then.

I know of no way to hook your Edge up to a computer for the purpose of downloading a custom tune. The Edge cannot be custom tuned! If you convert it to a Gryphon, you WILL download custom tunes through an application PHP calls "Pegasus" on your PC.

- Jack

Well in all honesty If I had a few hundred bucks layin around I'd buy it. Actually I do have plenty of money laying around but I don't want to spend it. I have other plans with it. Where can I check this Gryphon out at? Also I noticed you have a 2006 f-150. I have an 01' so do they make a programmer for my gen of f-150? And i'm going to go out and try that size right now

Trending Topics

Old 01-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Well in all honesty If I had a few hundred bucks layin around I'd buy it. Actually I do have plenty of money laying around but I don't want to spend it. I have other plans with it. Where can I check this Gryphon out at? Also I noticed you have a 2006 f-150. I have an 01' so do they make a programmer for my gen of f-150? And i'm going to go out and try that size right now
My truck is actually a 2005, but what's a year, more or less?

The Gryphon conversion for your unit is explained here: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...p/Upgrade.html As you can see, it doesn't cost much at all. And yes, your programmer can be converted!

Call them! Bill Cohron, the guy who does the tuning is out of town right now doing some custom, on site tuning, but his wife Corey's at home and will explain most everything to you. They are BOTH very easy to talk to and have your needs as their top priority, so they're not going to try to talk you into anything you don't want or need.

- Jack

Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 PM
My truck is actually a 2005, but what's a year, more or less?

The Gryphon conversion for your unit is explained here: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...p/Upgrade.html As you can see, it doesn't cost much at all. And yes, your programmer can be converted!

Call them! Bill Cohron, the guy who does the tuning is out of town right now doing some custom, on site tuning, but his wife Corey's at home and will explain most everything to you. They are BOTH very easy to talk to and have your needs as their top priority, so they're not going to try to talk you into anything you don't want or need.

- Jack
Well I couldn't remember the exact year i just noticed yours was only a few years olds. Also I went to change the tire size and i totally made up the 35in thing i guess haha. When I go into the custom tune option and hit enter at the tire size it says that option is not available for your vehicle. So it has an option for it but it wont let me change this. I'm begining to think Edge Performance= waste of $450 bucks! ha

Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Well I couldn't remember the exact year i just noticed yours was only a few years olds. Also I went to change the tire size and i totally made up the 35in thing i guess haha. When I go into the custom tune option and hit enter at the tire size it says that option is not available for your vehicle. So it has an option for it but it wont let me change this. I'm begining to think Edge Performance= waste of $450 bucks! ha
I don't think it's a total waste, and I'm fairly certain you can upgrade the firmware on that thing so it WILL allow you to change the tire size. I believe your truck has a speedometer that's controlled by the PCM, not a mechanical cable like the old days. It's just a matter of getting the Edge to recognize this.

Try to get Edge technical support to help you here. If they can't do it (some people have had better luck with them than others) contact Bill Cohron at www.PHPTune.com I KNOW he'll be able to tell you exactly what your unit can and can't do. While you're talking to him, discuss converting it to a Gryphon too.

Bill's out of town through the weekend, but is supposed to be back at the office on Monday.

- Jack

Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I think you have me convinced to upgrade it to a Gryphon. You kept talking about a Gryphon and I thought you were referring to a different tuner. I went to their webpage you provided and went to the form you have to fill out and looked it over. Just have a few questions on doing this.

I send just my tuner with the cable(since mine isn't 04 and up) and not the base that came with it?
Gryphon will program my module to compensate for 35in tires?
And I can put on that form that I want better acceleration while not giving up too much mpg and they'll tune it to that?
And what exactly do they do to the edge chip that I couldn't do myself?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Global Moderator &

I think you have me convinced to upgrade it to a Gryphon. You kept talking about a Gryphon and I thought you were referring to a different tuner. I went to their webpage you provided and went to the form you have to fill out and looked it over. Just have a few questions on doing this.

I send just my tuner with the cable(since mine isn't 04 and up) and not the base that came with it?
Gryphon will program my module to compensate for 35in tires?
And I can put on that form that I want better acceleration while not giving up too much mpg and they'll tune it to that?
And what exactly do they do to the edge chip that I couldn't do myself?
OK - BEFORE you fill out anything or send anything in, call and talk to Bill or Corey (his wife). In fact, they just about insist that you do this! They want to make sure they can give you what you want and that you will not be disappointed. I can answer one question though. To upgrade, you simply send them the Edge programmer and the cable (after you've restored the tune on your truck to Level 0). They DO NOT need the mounting pod that holds it on the dash. When I sent mine in, I sent it insured with package tracking so I could see when it arrived. They'll return it via UPS. It will have the latest firmware installed and will still have the canned tunes. Any custom tunes you want will be downloadable later when they are written.

When you call - ask them if the Gryphon upgrade will let you compensate for 35in tires. I think it will, but I can be wrong.

A custom tune can definitely improve your acceleration (power) and should make your CAI/engine combination better. In fact, I think with a custom tune you will probably see an improvement in your gas mileage as well as better performance. But again, ASK about this! They'll try to give you a feeling for what they can do for you and will not blow any smoke at you!

What Bill does to the programmer is quite complicated. He adjusts ignition timing and fuel delivery according to engine demand and will set this up to accommodate your CAI. He is able to exercise greater control over transmission line pressures, which effect how it shifts in ways that you cannot do in the Edge options. He'll set in shift points that will improve performance and economy based on your tire size and gear ratio. And there's probably much, much more that I don't have any knowledge of. He's been tuning engines for over 20 years - I doubt there are many of us who could match him.

You'll be able to choose up to three different custom tunes, but don't have to get all three. If you regularly tow, I'd get a towing tune. If you want to use 91+ octane gas, get a tune for that. Where do you live and drive? If it's over high mountains or generally at high altitude, the tune is different than at sea level. It's possible Bill even compensates for average temperature where you drive.

The more information you can give him regarding your goals and expectations, the better you'll be satisfied with the results.

- Jack

Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Alright I'll talk to Dad and see what he says about this and possibly be calling him or his wife tomorrow. I drive majority in city with occasional Highway for maybe 5 miles or so at a time. I drive like 100(there and back) miles on the highway maybe once a month. I live in Southern Indiana so not many hills around here or real steep ones i should say.

See the thing is to tell you the truth I'm not a gear head at all and some of the stuff he asks I may not be able to rattle off. I know enough to get me by you know. Like I could tell him what gears i have any everything about my tuck but if it came down to a technical engine question or whatever he might baffel me. But I'll see what dad says and maybe give him a call either tommorrow or monday sometime. Where is this guy located? Like his site says many people fail to get the most out of their edge chip and thats all i'm trying to do is get the most possible out of this chip. Thanks for helping me out!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Global Moderator &

You don't have to be a gear head at all. They're located in Winder, Georgia, pretty close to, and east of, Atlanta.

Do a search on all the posts in this forum by ASEMechanic (that's Bill) and Groovy Chick (that's Corey) and you'll get a good feeling about what they're like.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 01-09-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Alright I'll talk to Dad and see what he says about this and possibly be calling him or his wife tomorrow. I drive majority in city with occasional Highway for maybe 5 miles or so at a time. I drive like 100(there and back) miles on the highway maybe once a month. I live in Southern Indiana so not many hills around here or real steep ones i should say.

See the thing is to tell you the truth I'm not a gear head at all and some of the stuff he asks I may not be able to rattle off. I know enough to get me by you know. Like I could tell him what gears i have any everything about my tuck but if it came down to a technical engine question or whatever he might baffel me. But I'll see what dad says and maybe give him a call either tommorrow or monday sometime. Where is this guy located? Like his site says many people fail to get the most out of their edge chip and thats all i'm trying to do is get the most possible out of this chip. Thanks for helping me out!
You don't have to be a gear head at all. They're located in Winder, Georgia, pretty close to, and east of, Atlanta.

Do a search on all the posts in this forum by ASEMechanic (that's Bill) and Groovy Chick (that's Corey) and you'll get a good feeling about what they're like.

- Jack
JackandJanet is right, they seem to have a great customer service setup and are always on here gving feedback several times a day. It will be well worth the few extra bucks friend. ANd you really don't have to be a gear head, most of us are not or at least started off not being.

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution Programer