Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck tent

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought this one off Ebay years ago, thought it was a great idea at the time. I have never used it once, but that is likely cause I am not really a camper lol. Still pretty sweet tho.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nathan3306
Well did you get one? Pics? Review?
Not yet, a few things got in the way--namely, a Center Console swap

I'm still looking in the Sportsman's Guide, I'm sure it'll come cheap in the winter....

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 PM
i have an 06 supercab fx4... i also have the napier sportz truck tent.
let me tell you my story... my family and i went camping out to the desert a few years back and my wife and i took our truck tent, everybody else had their regular tent.the second night we where there the wind picked up something fierce. my brother had to stay up and keep the tent from coming down. my dad couldnt sleep cuz of all the sand being blown in throught the screen. couple others had broken tents in the morning. my wife and i had a good night sleep without any sand in our tent. only damage was one of the cross rods cracked. i called their CS and explained to them what had happen. they sent me an upgraded free replacement rod. we're very happy with it and use it whenever we go camping.
we use an inflatable mattress specificly made for my trucks bed. very comfy.
as far as camper shell, i have a bestop super top. its a collapsable camper top. for the most part i leave it up but whenever i need to load something i put it down and i have my bed again. pretty cool setup.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Now that I got my Flow Through console fully installed, I can think about this again lol. I've decided to get the TT from The Sportsman's Guide, but my next ? is: what kind of air mattress do you folks use when camping?

I'm looking at a Queen-sized mattress, thinking of going with a Coleman or Ozark Trail, but I wanted some input from y'all first...

Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the ones made for the truck bed. They have curves for the wheel wells.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:47 PM
We were walking down the aisles at the local Goodwill today and found a Simmons Beautyrest Queen with air pump (originally $80) for $15. Pumped it up, and it works great--it barely bothers the wheel wells on each side. I can still shut my tailgate--gotta love the 6.5' bed, if 8' ain't an option, like on the STX.

We are planning a camping trip for after we come back from Texas at the end of next month, should have a Sportsman's Guide tent in, or ordered, by that time For those who have tents, can you close the tailgate with it installed, or do you have to leave it down?

Last edited by DSGSTX81; 06-30-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
I camp alot with my sons scout troop...

I think a regular tent is probably a better option...although, I wish I had a camper shell for the rainy trips...

If you want to take a day trip with the truck tents it would require some tear down...

2 cents worth!!!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks kc,

When we go camping, it'll probably be an overnighter, which will only require a single build/teardown. That shouldn't be too strenuous

But for 3-4 day trips, yeah. I'm not sure I would want the hassle

Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by JEEBUS20
i have an 06 supercab fx4... i also have the napier sportz truck tent.
let me tell you my story... my family and i went camping out to the desert a few years back and my wife and i took our truck tent, everybody else had their regular tent.the second night we where there the wind picked up something fierce. my brother had to stay up and keep the tent from coming down. my dad couldnt sleep cuz of all the sand being blown in throught the screen. couple others had broken tents in the morning. my wife and i had a good night sleep without any sand in our tent. only damage was one of the cross rods cracked. i called their CS and explained to them what had happen. they sent me an upgraded free replacement rod. we're very happy with it and use it whenever we go camping.
we use an inflatable mattress specificly made for my trucks bed. very comfy.
as far as camper shell, i have a bestop super top. its a collapsable camper top. for the most part i leave it up but whenever i need to load something i put it down and i have my bed again. pretty cool setup.

Great to hear Napier took care of you!!

Here are the reviews on the Napier truck tents, I am also considering one myself and think they are pretty cool but have never used one before. I will report back if and when I do!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 AM
We used a Napier Sportz truck tent for 4 or 5 years before we bought our Pop-up and camped probably 3 or 4 times a year with it...It will definitely keep you more dry in the rain and hold up better against high winds. The Sportz is also the only truck tent that I know of that actually has a floor, which I think is another big advantage (keeps out the bugs.) The tailgate stays down with this model of tent so it increases your floor area inside as well. With the 6.5' bed you'll be able to keep a couple of bags or something stored inside the tent at the foot of your bed. Set up is a bit tricky the first time until you get your poles broken in and figure out your preferred technique. It's definitely a worth while investment in my opinion, we loved ours.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Whats the price range for these things? All over the map.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
For the Napier Sportz it'll most likely be somewhere between $200-250 depending on where you buy.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor
You can click here to price them out.
They are also on sale!

Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by benchwarmer4203
We used a Napier Sportz truck tent for 4 or 5 years before we bought our Pop-up and camped probably 3 or 4 times a year with it...It will definitely keep you more dry in the rain and hold up better against high winds. The Sportz is also the only truck tent that I know of that actually has a floor, which I think is another big advantage (keeps out the bugs.) The tailgate stays down with this model of tent so it increases your floor area inside as well. With the 6.5' bed you'll be able to keep a couple of bags or something stored inside the tent at the foot of your bed. Set up is a bit tricky the first time until you get your poles broken in and figure out your preferred technique. It's definitely a worth while investment in my opinion, we loved ours.
Thanks, man. Sounds like a good investment. I have had to fix my tailgate from a mishap during an attempt to tint my rear emblem, but I'm going to go with the Sportsman's Guide tent when they ship me the next issue (which should be anytime). BTW, I wouldn't have anything shorter than a 6.5' bed--too impractical for me to have a truck that I can't haul enough in the bed.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm with you on the 6.5' bed. They had to dealer trade for me when I bought mine last year, everything my local dealer had was 5.5'. I've added an aftermarket bed extender that I really like as well.

Quick Reply: Truck tent