Amp Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp Problem?

Here's my problem, with the radio on (so the amp turns on) my subs are constantly making sound, even with the volume all the way down. It's just like a constant thundering, not loud, barely audible up in the front seat but still enough to annoy me. It does it with the truck on and off.

At first I thought it was picking up engine noise, but tried it with the truck off and it's still there. Then I thought I may have crossed an rca over a power cable, so rerouted everything, still there. The only wires I wasn't able to keep from crossing is the power and ground. I redid the ground, still have the problem.

So at the point, before running out to get new RCA's and a remote wire, I started to lean towards the amp. Went ahead and swapped the amp with an old Rockford Fosgate amp and the problem goes away!

The amp that had the problem is an older JL e1800d. So would I be correct in assuming it's the amp? or is there something else I'm missing?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Hook the old amp back up, if it starts, pull the fuse on the amp (assuming it has one) that will tell you 100% for sure.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
Here's my problem, with the radio on (so the amp turns on) my subs are constantly making sound, even with the volume all the way down. It's just like a constant thundering, not loud, barely audible up in the front seat but still enough to annoy me. It does it with the truck on and off.

At first I thought it was picking up engine noise, but tried it with the truck off and it's still there. Then I thought I may have crossed an rca over a power cable, so rerouted everything, still there. The only wires I wasn't able to keep from crossing is the power and ground. I redid the ground, still have the problem.

So at the point, before running out to get new RCA's and a remote wire, I started to lean towards the amp. Went ahead and swapped the amp with an old Rockford Fosgate amp and the problem goes away!

The amp that had the problem is an older JL e1800d. So would I be correct in assuming it's the amp? or is there something else I'm missing?
Hi bud!

I think yer diagnosis and conclusion is spot-on!

MGD

Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Bdees33
Hook the old amp back up, if it starts, pull the fuse on the amp (assuming it has one) that will tell you 100% for sure.
I'm not sure what pulling the fuse on the amp would do, besides provide no power at all to the subs.

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi bud!

I think yer diagnosis and conclusion is spot-on!

MGD
Yea I was afraid someone was gonna say that. Oh well, looks like this amp is gonna go to my girlfriends car, since the sound is so low it wouldn't be audible at all from the trunk.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:47 AM
what headunit is in the truck? if it is a pioneer and you hot swapped the rcas it will blow the pico fuse in the head unit and make a buzzing noise. you can try grounding your rcas that should help it.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:57 AM
Nah it's an Alpine, and nothing hot swapped either.

Quick Reply: Amp Problem?