Powerdyne S/C Project '98 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerdyne S/C Project '98 4.6L

Well this project is off and started. It is a project with my 18 yo son, to teach him about supercharging and EFI. I bought a kit from ONELOWF and I am collecting all the other needed pieces.

So far, the 255l fuel pump is installed, TR6 plugs installed, pulled the crank pulley off with Harbor Freight puller and am having it machined now for the s/c pulley. I have a lightning 90mm MAF and new K+N and all the 4" silicone hoses, 36lb injectors ready to install. Today pulled out the JET chip and downloaded the ECU stock program to the Delta Force Commander I bought. Will 'build' the tune and reload it this week.

Next is to relocate the PS resivor and the passenger coil pack. Mount the pulleys and s/c plate and supercharger and chect the pulley alignment and adjust as necessary. More to come.

I will have a JET plug in chip and Volant CAI for sale as they are coming off soon.

Last edited by cobramarty; 10-26-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Be sure to take plenty if pics

Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Thats awesome! How much boost is that thing gunna make? 6-8?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I personally wouldn't strap a powerdyne to a lawnmower that was given to me for free but to each their own. Just make sure you open it up and inspect the belt, nothing sucks worse then tearing apart your engine to get all of the supercharger parts out of it.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the insight.

Got the pulley back from the machine shop where the face was machined flat and trued up. Now if the weather cooperates I can bolt some of this together and check the alignments. Pics to come.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by shadowrider
I personally wouldn't strap a powerdyne to a lawnmower that was given to me for free but to each their own. Just make sure you open it up and inspect the belt, nothing sucks worse then tearing apart your engine to get all of the supercharger parts out of it.

LOL i have never heard any describe powerdyne blowers so PERFECTLY!!!

they have a bad rep, everyone i have ever known to run a powerdyne, either the belt snaps or the impeller explodes. all were running under 10psi

Old 11-06-2011, 11:26 AM
good luck man.. might think about getting a large particle screen on the outlet to keep foreign objects out of the cylinders

Old 11-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The likelihood of an exploding impellar is remote. The Powerdyne is belt driven and the belts will shred if the blower is spun beyond the design limit......very common issue on some Mustang boards.
Most of the Powerdyne carnage posts I have read elsewhere are a result of asking a small blower to do more than it was designed to do, or some fool asking if he should run a bypass valve after spinning the blower some 30% more than he should have.
The Powerdyne I sold to Marty was making 8+ psi through a large intercooler, no problems.

Edit: I should add that it is nothing short of extremely bad manners to come here and dump on someone's project, real nice. If you can't say something constructive..........

Last edited by ONELOWF; 11-06-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: 2nd thought........
Old 11-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I have had a PD on my truck for 8+ yrs and 60xxx miles later, still going strong. I also got a 9# pully on it.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by justin mccluske
I have had a PD on my truck for 8+ yrs and 60xxx miles later, still going strong. I also got a 9# pully on it.
Iirc, a 9 psi pulley on a Pd truck is equal to 7 psi pulley on a Mustang, stock kit. Rpms make the boost higher on the Stang. Your's should be safe for a long time.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Ok, project delayed a few weeks as we got a '98 Jeep Cherokee and have been messing with it.

Pulled all the front off- fan, shroud, installed the pulleys and then attacked the power steering reservoir relocation and coil pack relocation. What a MF'er. Had to take off a bracket to make room that was rusted on- bolts rounded and all. Finally had to use a large chisel/spear and cut/break it off. Next is the injectors... 116k engine and they are really stuck in. Did the passenger side after a fight and now got the drivers side off and ready to put them back in. That back cylinder will be a real pain. Next will be the brackets for the coil, PS and throttle body install and hopefully today the SC mounting plate. More later.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by cobramarty
Ok, project delayed a few weeks as we got a '98 Jeep Cherokee and have been messing with it.

Pulled all the front off- fan, shroud, installed the pulleys and then attacked the power steering reservoir relocation and coil pack relocation. What a MF'er. Had to take off a bracket to make room that was rusted on- bolts rounded and all. Finally had to use a large chisel/spear and cut/break it off. Next is the injectors... 116k engine and they are really stuck in. Did the passenger side after a fight and now got the drivers side off and ready to put them back in. That back cylinder will be a real pain. Next will be the brackets for the coil, PS and throttle body install and hopefully today the SC mounting plate. More later.
take pics !

Old 11-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Pics are in the camera, to come.

Good day today, 36lb injectors installed- now I know why they did the FMU- injectors are a tough job. Relocated the PS, coil pack, MAP, and another sensor?. Pulled off the coil bracket and tried the SC mounting plate and the spacers are too short- will get some washers to space out.

Have to unwrap one harness for the MAP, coil pack, and cam timing sensor and redirect the wires and rewrap it with wires going different ways.

Will mount the larger 75mm throttle body later. Maybe energize the fuel pump and make sure no leaks- that would suck.

Now the question is how will the spacing all align up with the crank and SC pulleys.

Last edited by cobramarty; 11-18-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Best thing I bought so far---> TOPSIDE CREEPER !! This is a must. Makes the job so much easier.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Good to hear the project is moving forward!

I don't recall having any issue with the spacers for the s/c. This may be a dumb question, but have you removed the original three bolts? You will need to replace them as the originals had the threaded studs for the accessories amd the hex portion will move the blower mounting plate forward.....I'm sure you see that.

When it is adjusted correctly, you should be able to put a long straight edge on the hb pulley and it will sit perfectly flat when it extends to the s/c pulley, ie, faces of both pulleys in exact alignment. The tensioner may need a little shimming once the other two are correct.

Quick Reply: Powerdyne S/C Project '98 4.6L