Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How To Add Ford Ambient Lighting

Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Add Ford Ambient Lighting

Tools needed:
Drill, 5/16 drill bit, 3/4 drill bit(spade), 7mm socket, Side cutters, wiring tools.
Contents: Ford Ambient lighting Part # 8S8Z-13E700-AA
1 Bag of hardware, 2 Glass rods for LEDs under dash, 2 LEDs that fit into cup holders, 1 Push button on/off switch, 2 Plug in modules.

Remove center console cover. I pulled up on the back passenger side corner, it came right off.

Remove kick panels in front of console on drivers/passenger side. I pulled on back bottom corners.

Place the Plug in modules, LED wires, On/off switch inside the center console. Run the tube LED wires down front of console to dash.

Just loosen the 2 bolts at the bottom of dash passenger side with a 7mm socket.

Take the Metal clip, Plastic clip, Black screw, Tie wrap out of the bag of hardware.

Make the pieces look like this, leave tie wrap loose.

Intall 2 metal clips that you just made onto metal (not plastic) beside the 2 loosen screws on passenger bottom of dash. Plastic clips facing front of dash.

Place Glass tube into the loose Tie wraps. Pisition Glass tube silver side up, and tighten Tie wraps. Tighten the 7mm bolt on bottom of dash.

On drivers side run the glass tube led wire to under dash. Install the 2 Metal clips/tie wraps onto 2 metal plates under dash. Place Glass tube into the loose Tie wraps. Pisition Glass tube silver side up, and tighten Tie wraps.

Run the Black(-) White(+) wires Under carpet, or under dash to E-brake. Fasten Black(-) to a ground bolt on side frame. Fasten White(+) to solid brown wire (parklight) in the wire cluster under drivers door sil.

Use the drill and 5/16 drill bit. On the center console cover drill a hole in the front of front cup holder and in the back of back cup holder just above cup rubber.

Last edited by powerz69; 11-07-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 AM

Attach the two screw in LEDs to the front and back of cup holders.

Attach the modules with the velcro tape provided to the passenger side of console. Plug in all led wire plugs into modules.

Place the center console cover into place, make a mark where the back cup holder LED touches back of console. I used side cutters and cut out a square 1 inch x 1 inch. On the console where the led touched.

Use drill and 3/4 drill bit (I used a spade bit) Carefully look over place where you want to mount your power button hole from top and bottom on the center console cover. I mounted mine in middle area. In case I wanted another kit I have room for another button in same area. Drill hole from top. Line up and install Push button on/off switch. Install the console cover back on.

Now turn on your park lights and push the on/off Ambient lighting button. Each time you press the button it will scroll through 7 differnt colors then shut off. Colors are white, lightblue, yellow, pink, green, red, darkblue (not in this order).

Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Very nice and nice write up. How much did the kit cost you?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM
It looks like list price is $270.

Ambient Lighting Kit

Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Is this the same kit that comes standard on the 2010's? If so doesn't that kit also have ambient lighting for the rear? I'm really really interested in this mod

Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 AM
looks nice!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:13 AM
One other thing. The part number from Ford's website is 8L8Z-13E700-AA. What is the difference in these two part numbers b/c the kit looks the same

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/...8L8Z_13E700_AA

Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
It looks like list price is $270.

Ambient Lighting Kit
Tasca has them listed on eBay for ~$240.

- NCSU

Old 11-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Interesting

Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats a pretty sweet mod, id be interested in the rears and maybe something on the overhead console

Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by XPerties
Very nice and nice write up. How much did the kit cost you?
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Interesting
Originally Posted by bjp207
thats a pretty sweet mod, id be interested in the rears and maybe something on the overhead console
Thanks I did it in the spring, just got around to do the write up now. I am very happy with it. It's made very good.

Originally Posted by pmason718
Is this the same kit that comes standard on the 2010's? If so doesn't that kit also have ambient lighting for the rear? I'm really really interested in this mod
I'm not sure I never seen the 2010. I was just going to buy another kit for the rear. As far as I know there is nothing for the rears.

One other thing. The part number from Ford's website is 8L8Z-13E700-AA. What is the difference in these two part numbers b/c the kit looks the same
The number might be just updated no change in the product. I have heard of the ford flex having clear rings that sit in the cup holders to even out the light glow. After market never had these rings maybe they do now with the new number.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife's Mustang has this from the factory. The floorboards are lit with a single led (front and rear) and the cup holders have a ring around each one. It does make a nice touch at night and is pretty cool......

Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by 08FX4
My wife's Mustang has this from the factory. The floorboards are lit with a single led (front and rear) and the cup holders have a ring around each one. It does make a nice touch at night and is pretty cool......
This is what I'm looking for. Do you happen to know the part number for it. I would love to have the LEDS in a circle for the cup holder and rear lights.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Nice mod. Great writeup.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 PM

This is what I'm looking for. Do you happen to know the part number for it. I would love to have the LEDS in a circle for the cup holder and rear lights.
Thats what i'm saying. If you get it as a factory option you'll have rears and clear rings that fits 1 LED per cup holder. The LED will light up the clear rings.
If you buy this after it is made this way. Front floor, and cup holders with no clear rings. This is still the ford product but it's made without rears and rings. I have heard it's easier for the installers to install it this way. I do not know if this is true or not. It did take me 1.5 hours taking my time and pictures to install the lights. I'm thinking of trying to find a 7 color led and tap into it to make some rears.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Add Ford Ambient Lighting