Cruise control not working

Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise control not working

Anybody know why my cruise control would not be working? Nothing happens when I push any of the cruise buttons. I've checked a few things but I haven't come up with anything. The fuse is good. Brake lights work. Brake must be depressed to shift out of Park. Any help would be appreciated. 2002 F150 Supercrew Lariat.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1. Did you have the recall done ?

2. Did you run the self test ?
-----------------------

With the key off depress and hold the cruise control off button while turning the ignition to the run position,don't start the truck, the cruise light will flash once to let you know it is in self test.
Five additional flashes indicate a bad cruise control servo

Release the cruise off switch and within 5 seconds depress the other switches in sequence:
1. on
2. resume
3. coast
4. set/ accel
The speed control light will flash as each switch is depressed.

If the last one does not flash it may then flash a code

After this the cruise will move the throttle to test the actuator and the cable.
Make sure the throttle returns to idle and turn the key off.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I bought the truck a few months ago and the cruise control never worked. I did not personally have the recall done, but I checked the myford.com site with my VIN and it said "There are no outstanding recalls on your vehicle."

I did the self test and here's what I got - After holding the Off button and turning the ignition on the CRUISE light blinked. I then pushed ON, RESUME, COAST, and SET/ACCEL and the light blinked with each button. Immediately after the last blink the CRUISE light blinked two more times.

You said after the test the cruise will move the throttle. Should it actually move the gas pedal or just the throttle cable under the hood? I had my foot slightly rested on the pedal and did not feel it move.

Does this give you anymore ideas? Thanks for the help.

Note: While driving and trying to use the cruise control the CRUISE light does not come on at all.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 PM

The throttle cable under the hood is what is moved by the servo.
You might only notice a slacking in the pedal in the truck, would be hard to tell, you really need to look at the servo to the cable movement.

Did you read the post by projectSHO89 ?

— 2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
BPP = Brake Pedal Position Switch
CPP = Clutch Pedal Position switch ( or jumper if it is an Auto trans ).

Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I did read projectSHO89's post about the 2 flashes. It said, "If the lamp does NOT flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

— 2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped)."

Mine did flash with the last button, then the 2 flashes followed. Does it still apply if I got a flash on the last button?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 PM

That would be my thought, that there is something up with the BPP, or the circuit.

The CC recall, you should have an additional fuse at the end of the plug on the master cylinder. Is that there ?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't have a whole lot of experience under the hood, but I'm willing to dig in. Can you tell me where I need to look to find the additional fuse?

Also, do you know how I would check the BPP?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Same problem on a 2000

I tried all the above things but nothing happens. When I turn the key to on while holding the off switch no cruise light comes on. Any other suggestions. Also checked all the fuses.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by dv8r123
I tried all the above things but nothing happens. When I turn the key to on while holding the off switch no cruise light comes on. Any other suggestions. Also checked all the fuses.

Thanks
Check fuses F5 and F13 in the passenger compartment fuse box.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
1. Did you have the recall done ?

2. Did you run the self test ?
-----------------------

With the key off depress and hold the cruise control off button while turning the ignition to the run position,don't start the truck, the cruise light will flash once to let you know it is in self test.
Five additional flashes indicate a bad cruise control servo

Release the cruise off switch and within 5 seconds depress the other switches in sequence:
1. on
2. resume
3. coast
4. set/ accel
The speed control light will flash as each switch is depressed.

If the last one does not flash it may then flash a code

After this the cruise will move the throttle to test the actuator and the cable.
Make sure the throttle returns to idle and turn the key off.
We tried the self test. It will flash the cruise once when pushing the off button. But than nothing after that and pushing any of the other buttons nothing. We've put our vin number in on the ford site and it doesn't show that our truck has any recalls on it even though our ford F-150 is a 2000 model and we have had it since 2003. Cruise stopped working this last year and we are trying to figure out how to fix it. The horn wasn't working either and it was the fuse, changed the fuse on the horn. And checked all the fuses for the cruise and all of those showed to be good.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:20 PM

Are you pressing the on button within 5 seconds of getting the single flash and then releasing the off button ?

Press and hold Off button, turn key to on ( not start or assy ) position then single flash. At this point the 5 second count down starts. Release off button and press on button.
- If it is longer than 5 seconds to releasing the off button, self test mode is exited.

Your symptom sounds is either the self test was not done ( missed the 5 second count ) or the switches are bad.

Way to test the usage of self test mode, pop the hood and watch the servo motor cable movement. Once finishing the self test with the buttons ( < 1 sec ) , the servo motor will move the throttle cable 8 to 12 mm and then back to the idle position. If the movement does not happen, and you only got a single flash entering self test mode, this would point to missing the 5 second window.
- If there is a servo motor issue, you should have gotten more than a single flash when entering test mode.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 PM
The Horn and cruise not working and if your Air Bag light is on you probably have a broken clock Spring, that's what happened to my Truck

Old 09-03-2014, 02:30 PM
2006 F150 cruise control not working

I searched this sight, read many good tips. Here are my results. My cruise would not engage and diagnostic codes did not work. We noticed a post about third brake light and sure enough mine was out. $5 at the auto store and 10 mins later, we had the third brake light working. Headed down the road and cruise control now works like a champion. Thanks to everyone that posted their comments and tech tips. Very very helpful. I suggest you check this out first thing. It's the easiest, quickest and cheapest fix for me to date. Check your third brake light. If it is out and cruise not working, Ford has made this a "feature" to notify you to replace the bulb.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 AM
It's more of a coincidence than an actual plan on Ford's part because Ford changed where they pick up the brake applied switch as an input to the PCM for 2005 models.

If the HMSL bulb is open, the PCM's input for the brake position switch is allowed to float (the bulb serves to pull the input pin's potential to ground when not illuminated). In most logic schemes, an open circuit on a logical input is interpreted as a logic high which happens to be the same logic level as is applied to the input pin when the brake pedal is pressed.

2005 models are the first that exhibit this peculiarity and continues at least through 2008, the last year I can check in my library. 2004 and older trucks will not exhibit this characteristic as the PCM's input is in common with the shifter interlock which will provide the pull-down.

Originally Posted by Wed0wrapz
I searched this sight, read many good tips. Here are my results. My cruise would not engage and diagnostic codes did not work. We noticed a post about third brake light and sure enough mine was out. $5 at the auto store and 10 mins later, we had the third brake light working. Headed down the road and cruise control now works like a champion. Thanks to everyone that posted their comments and tech tips. Very very helpful. I suggest you check this out first thing. It's the easiest, quickest and cheapest fix for me to date. Check your third brake light. If it is out and cruise not working, Ford has made this a "feature" to notify you to replace the bulb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise control not working