2015 - 2020 F-150

frozen power locks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having occasional frozen power lock problems in a 2016 F-150 xlt supercrew. It has happened about six times since late January, and each time at least one of the 4 power door locks opened, and I was able to reach inside and open the driver's door by using the internal mechanism on the door--the power lock itself is silent/not working, but the door works from inside the truck. I have about 1000 kilometers on the truck and cannot predict when it will open its power locks or not. This should be recalled.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:31 PM
there are lots of people with the same issues, myself included. There has been a TSB from ford on same and your local dealer should know about t. my truck was in garage 3 times for both the front and rear drivers doors lock issues. since its been fixed all is good so far

Old 10-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Frozen Locks

I have a 2015 F150 lariat Super Crew that I have had this problem for 2 winters now.
I have had all 4 doors not work at sometime or other.
In fact for the last 2 days at -5c I got my drivers door open but it would not latch closed once inside and had to drive to work holding the door closed with one hand.
had this problem last winter as well, this morning I drove straight to my dealer and dropped the truck. I will now refuse to pick it up until the problem is resolved correctly.
Surely Ford cant expect their customers to drive with hand holding a heavy door closed and one hand on the wheel.
I also had problems last winter where neither front would open at all, I had to open a rear door, reach through and open a front door to get in the truck. Will let you know what happens!

Old 12-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Hi guys, just created an account to talk about that subject.... This morning (-9deg.C)i went to the hardware store to buy some lumber. I got stuck in the parking lot with my stuff because my tailgate would not open. Had to return it!! First, when i arrived, i could not get the doors to lock on that POS(my fisrt new car btw). At that time i did not think that the tailgate would do the same thing.

About a week ago i went to work holding the driver's side door all the way because it would not close properly. I said to myself i washed it the night before at 1deg.C and the temps drop to -2deg.C during the night but,,, that's not really cold.... and for a brand new car to do that... This morning though....boy was i pissed off. I used to be a car mechanic so i know american cars are not that great but i need a full size pick-up truck. Not too look good in it, but to work with it! and haul dirt bikes and stuff!!

Even though Ford came with a solution, why did they not corrected the 2016's like mine? It's brand new, 2500km's on it! Can't believe a car can still have it's locks frozen in 2016. Did they even test that? Come on with all the technology available....

Based on my experience, the actuators are not enough powerful. I could hear my 2003 Toyota locks from inside the house....and never had an issue.

Easy to say: get it the stealership but i don't have time, like an other member said in this thread. I'm a busy guy. I need a reliable vehicule.

Others things wrong with it:

Contaminents in the paint. 55 000$ truck guys.
Drivers's side door vibrates when i crank up the volume to only 11-12.
OEM plastic bed liner does'nt fit properly
Had to reinstall some trims properly.
Vibrates when i tow my trailer. Same trailer i towed with my Toyota with no problem. The water bottles shake in the cupholders.
I balanced the tires, but did nothing. And it's not heavy. Around 1000lbs max.
Strange noise coming from under the glove compartment when rolling. Same noise as a speedometer cable, but i know it's electronic now.

Toyota here i come. I will lose money trading it for a Tundra but will have a pretty reliable truck. I don't thrust Ford Tough.

I know a guy whom i worked with at Toyota. He quit because of a supervisor we could not live with and went to a Ford dealer. He said to me don't buy a Ford. You can't believe the amount of work we have in the shop compared to Toyota. If you really want to, an F-150 and Mustang are only the ones i would say ok. Seeing that, when time came to buy a new car, he a bought a, well you know what.

Thanks for reading me, usually i don't participate much in forums, but writing this has been like a therapy. Agree or not that's how i feel right now.

Time to put the trailer on that thing and head back to the store once again. I won't hose it down with hot water, things will be worse tomorrow morning.

Thieves welcome, will be easy for you. Plus i have been robbed once by Ford so...
55 000$ truck!!!!! Yeah!!!!!

Last edited by Brad27; 12-10-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Well, all 4 of my door locks froze today. Couldn't get in my 55g POS truck! Owned Fords my whole life, this is garbage. I took in this truck 3 times last winter for this problem, apparently they didn't solve this problem. Had too warm up the truck for 20min before one door opened then crawl across and open another with door lever. Got to my destination and now the doors won't lock! WHAT A POS! Frustrated beyond with this truck, can't believe I traded my Tacoma in on this thing!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Hahaha, you're right what a POS. I find it unconceivable that they did not hose this thing with water and put it in a frozen container or something like that to see how it would react in low temps! When i was younger i did have some problems with frozen locks but we're in 2016! Have'nt encountered this for many many years until i bought this POS truck. One of my friends told me the same thing. I can hear my wife's 2015 Camry unlock from inside the house just like my 2003 Toyota. But these actuators sound so weak!

I called my friend i talked about in my 1rst reply yesterday night. He said Ford has a fix for the doors but....still working for a solution about the tailgate. What??? It' a known failure for more than a year and no fix yet? He said call and we'll order the parts. Hurry up because we have some coming in since a few days....

Today i'm very lucky because for once it's sunny outside. So i grabbed my heat gun and pointed it at the tailgate and came back in the house to let the sun do it's job. It' -8deg C. I could hear the actuator starting to work. So i'm heading outside in few minutes and if i can get the tailgate open on that POS i will get access to the actuator and unplug it for good. Then tomorrow i will call the dealer for an appointment and then leave home to the Toyota dealer.

FORD:Factory Ordered Road Disaster

Last edited by Brad27; 12-11-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:30 AM
Well it's opening. So time for the surgery. I'm sure the mechanism is covered in ice....

Last edited by Brad27; 12-11-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm having the same issues, after leaving my truck with the dealership over night they called me this morning to say that the parts are on backorder until the beginning of the year. Went to pick up my car and guess what.. I couldn't get in. After remote starting the truck twice the service manager was able climb through the back to get the car into the shop to let it defrost so the drivers side door would close. Driving my truck home the rear door popped twice while driving and now my truck will not lock. Great to know I have a $55k truck with 1100 miles sitting in my driveway that I can't drive or lock.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:15 PM
I have a 16 Supercab XLT. Bought it the day after Labor Day. 2 days last week with temps of about 2* & 13* F, my door would not stay shut after I got in. Almost called off work, but after liberally spraying WD-40 in and around the latch and slamming the door several times it latched. I haven't washed the truck in a month because of hunting season so I'm not sure what the deal is. I find it funny, sad and pathetic that Ford had issued TSB 15-0052 for my concern, but said it was only vehicles built before 3/25/15 then issued TSB 16-0155 to address the same issue. Love the truck, hope they figure this out quick. Only problem I've had so far in 5,500 miles......

Last edited by 02RegularCab4x4; 12-21-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:39 PM
I bought my 2015 in Oct of 15(built in September) and waited for ford to actually adress the frozen locks and latches with a solution that should work ( didn't want doors taken apart a bunch of times for nothing lol), took my truck in last Wed to be diagnosed and they replaced front door locks, latches and the lower rear supercab door latches with the rain shield versions and got it back a week and a day later but I also had them do the rough shift tsb and change the melted Cargo lights and fix a few paint blemishes. They rented me a truck while mine was in the shop. So far so good after a few washes n cold nights. I had heard a couple horror stories about the dealerships service dept but I couldn't be happier with the service from them. Truck shifts silky smooth now and I guess we will see how the new latches and locks hold up

Old 01-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Unhappy Frozen locks '15 F150

Yeah this is a real problem, sounds like nationwide. Has anyone had an acceptable solution from the dealer? The condition is, when it's below 32f some of the doors won't open using the key fob and or will not close. This seems to be related to the physical lock button sticking in the up or down position. The temp-fix is to pull it up (or push it down) from inside the truck but that's a PIA if you are trying to crawl over the seats to get to the back to get the doors open.

So anyone had any preventative/corrective from dealers or Ford on this issue? My local dealer has a long waiting list for service and timing that against the right temps is probably unlikely.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:18 AM
[QUOTE=marshland;5210224]Yeah this is a real problem, sounds like nationwide. Has anyone had an acceptable solution from the dealer? The condition is, when it's below 32f some of the doors won't open using the key fob and or will not close. This seems to be related to the physical lock button sticking in the up or down position. The temp-fix is to pull it up (or push it down) from inside the truck but that's a PIA if you are trying to crawl over the seats to get to the back to get the doors open.

So anyone had any preventative/corrective from dealers or Ford on this issue? My local dealer has a long waiting list for service and timing that against the right temps is probably unlikely.[

mine has done it 2 times, but not as you described. Mine opened fine, but would not latch and stay shut until I slammed it several times.

Last edited by 02RegularCab4x4; 01-07-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Took my 2016 xlt super crew in for door not shutting today. Dealer said they are aware of freezing problem in new aluminum trucks. Did a new lube job on locking mechanism and said that's all they can do until they get in new steel locking mechanism parts for the two front doors that are on back order.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by toxz434
Took my 2016 xlt super crew in for door not shutting today. Dealer said they are aware of freezing problem in new aluminum trucks. Did a new lube job on locking mechanism and said that's all they can do until they get in new steel locking mechanism parts for the two front doors that are on back order.
First I have heard of steel locking mechanism, current TSB - 16-0155 doesn't mention them. It only specifies rain shields and cables.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:00 PM
Sorry if info is correct thats what the service guy told me.

Quick Reply: frozen power locks?