2015 - 2020 F-150

Wind/road noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDutchman
Jayhawker, have you tried driving it without the tonneau cover on? Is it vinyl or aluminum? I don't have a cover on mine (yet), but its a 2015 Super Crew without the road noise.
I bought the truck in Texas and drove it 320 miles home in OK, I could hear it then and there was no cover on it, it is a ABS plastic Undercover brand flat tonneau.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, so its definitely not the cover.

When the tech was in the back, did he try pulling on the door to see if it eliminated it? I wonder if you would hear it as much if you sat back there and had someone else drive. I'm just thinking maybe there's a chance you could troubleshoot or pinpoint it.

Maybe you could remove the door panel and do some sound proofing in there?

Old 11-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by TheDutchman
Okay, so its definitely not the cover.

When the tech was in the back, did he try pulling on the door to see if it eliminated it? I wonder if you would hear it as much if you sat back there and had someone else drive. I'm just thinking maybe there's a chance you could troubleshoot or pinpoint it.

Maybe you could remove the door panel and do some sound proofing in there?
I tried to push in on the door from outside, it is tight against the seals and I could get no movement on the door and I tried pulling on the driver door while going down the road but it was too tight to get any movement, I am seriously thinking about ordering some Dynamat and putting it in the doors.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:12 PM
I am having the same noise problem with 2015 lariat Supercrew 4WD. The cabin noise level is ridiculous for a new truck. My 2009 Platinum was very quiet in comparison. The noise seems to be coming from behind the driver seat and is noticeable after 30 mph. It is not a squeak, rattle or wind noise, but simple road noise. It sounds like the rear wall of the cab or the floor is letting through a lot of road noise. I have returned it to the dealer but that was a waste of time. I have spent a lot of time trouble shooting the problem and I am down to a few theories. 1. Ford commented that they had to use a steel firewall because the aluminum did not provide a proper sound barrier from the engine noise. Why would we think that an aluminum rear cab wall and floor pans would be adequate?. I think the problem could be in the design.
2. I have not heard complaints from everyone I have talked to but a common thread is that trucks with skid plates seemed to be more prone to the problem. After looking at the new design of the skid plates I could see a situation where the air gets trapped between the skid plates and the floor pans and vibrates against the aluminum pans, which by Ford's admission is not good at deadening noise. I have not removed them to test the theory because I am rather tired of the research and my next move is to test drive a new Chevy. It is just too annoying to put up with. I wish I would have test drove the Ford before ordering it. Of course Ford says they have had no complaints. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Montyh
I am having the same noise problem with 2015 lariat Supercrew 4WD. The cabin noise level is ridiculous for a new truck. My 2009 Platinum was very quiet in comparison. The noise seems to be coming from behind the driver seat and is noticeable after 30 mph. It is not a squeak, rattle or wind noise, but simple road noise...
Welcome to the forum, Montyh; I want to see what I can do to help quiet your ride. How many miles are on it?

Crystal

Old 11-30-2015, 01:58 PM
I am having the same noise problem with 2015 lariat Supercrew 4WD. Of course Ford says they have had no complaints. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
I had mine to two different dealers and they could not determine the source. Like yours mine is right over my left ear, I traveled over 800 miles over Thanksgiving and on certain roads the sound was onlu slight, I reqlly think mine is road noise generated by the tires. I'm thinking about ordering some Dynamat or other sound proofing material and installing it in the doors.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:41 PM
My F150 has 5000 miles to date.
I also plan on getting the tires changed on Thursday. Hopefully that helps somewhat. The truck definitely needs some more sound deadening material under the carpet, in the doors and behind the rear seats. On the weekend we travelled to the lake with the backseat area full of various duffle bags etc. And it was noticeably noisier on our way home with the backseat area empty. I will post how it is this weekend on the Same trip but with different tires.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My F150 has 5000 miles to date.
I also plan on getting the tires changed on Thursday. Hopefully that helps somewhat. The truck definitely needs some more sound deadening material under the carpet, in the doors and behind the rear seats. On the weekend we travelled to the lake with the backseat area full of various duffle bags etc. And it was noticeably noisier on our way home with the backseat area empty. I will post how it is this weekend on the Same trip but with different tires.
Thanks for offering to keep us in the loop, Montyh. If you'd like, I can push this up the line to your regional customer service manager. All I need to get started is a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Update on road noise. Changing the tires did help lessen the road noise. It is now more noticeable to hear wind/road noise through the door seals. It is very difficult to trouble shoot the exact cause because the severity of the leak is quite inconsistent. Some times it seems like the passenger door is ajar and sometimes the noise is behind the drivers seat. I Also discovered the sun roof leaks on both sides at the mid point. I am going to have all the doors tightened up and sunroof looked at. Hopefully that helps. I did have a second opinion from a very knowledgable mechanic who drove my truck after the tire changes and he was very surprised how loud the cabin is. He said his F250 diesel was far better. He commented that it has the road noise of a cheap work truck. That is my sentiment exactly. I should say that for the most part I really like a lot about this truck. I have been looking at competitive trucks and I sure hope we can solve the noise issue because I like the Ford.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Update on road noise. Changing the tires did help lessen the road noise. It is now more noticeable to hear wind/road noise through the door seals. It is very difficult to trouble shoot the exact cause because the severity of the leak is quite inconsistent. Some times it seems like the passenger door is ajar and sometimes the noise is behind the drivers seat. I Also discovered the sun roof leaks on both sides at the mid point. I am going to have all the doors tightened up and sunroof looked at. Hopefully that helps. I did have a second opinion from a very knowledgable mechanic who drove my truck after the tire changes and he was very surprised how loud the cabin is. He said his F250 diesel was far better. He commented that it has the road noise of a cheap work truck. That is my sentiment exactly. I should say that for the most part I really like a lot about this truck. I have been looking at competitive trucks and I sure hope we can solve the noise issue because I like the Ford.
Have you considered taking a drive in an identical (or as close as possible) truck off the lot and comparing it to yours? My supercrew is silent except for the drone of the V8 during acceleration. Very surprised at how quiet it is. Trying another truck might not find the cure but at least let you and the dealer see what the difference is. You shouldn't buy a new truck and have to change tires or do undercoating or soundproofing to make is sound like everyone else who bought one.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the post Daniel. I would agree with your sentiment. It is frustrating to pay north of 50K for a truck and be disappointed. Hopefully the issue can be resolved to my satisfaction soon. I certainly will post any meaningful updates.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Just a thought...

Thanks for the post Daniel. I would agree with your sentiment. It is frustrating to pay north of 50K for a truck and be disappointed. Hopefully the issue can be resolved to my satisfaction soon. I certainly will post any meaningful updates.

Had the rear window replaced recently. Prior to going in the shop I had the rear seat backs folded forward and the sound insulation behind that removed. Was thinking I might do the window myself (not).
Anyway, driving around for a day with the seats down I noticed a heck of a lot more road noise. Apparently there are flap vents along the back wall.... They sure let in a lot of noise when open (anytime the fan is on). Perhaps this may be something to check??

Old 01-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Update on noise complaint. The sunroof has been replaced because it failed to seal properly. The doors have been "tightened". It is marginally better. The tech suggested it should be better still, but they are not sure what to try. They recommended undercoating to deaden the road noise. That will not happen at my expense because I do not wish to spend my money to fix a design deficiency. I also do not know what to try next. I believe Ford has a design issue they need to solve. I plan to live with it for now and I am shopping for a new truck. I would say that I appreciated the dealer taking the complaint seriously because noise complaints are quite difficult to deal with. Thanks to Kelly at River City Ford.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:00 AM
It's stories like this that make me the rest of us (or at least me) nervous. I've just come off a 10 year nightmare with a Chevy Silverado. Bought it new, I think I paid for it twice trying to keep up with it. Engine was great. The rest of it was one thing after another. I'd owned chevy's all my life with on and off luck with them. This time I did a Ford for the first time. I have an xlt and I absolutely love it. With just 2000 miles on it it's been great. Like what happened with the Silverado I hope it doesn't give me reason to hate it over time. I really want to keep on loving this vehicle. It's always buy and hope... fingers crossed.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With the exception of the sunroof which appears to be a legitimate issue that Ford cant get a handle on, there seem to be no other chronic issues.

I think some of the people complaining are just really hard to please. Or buyers remorse for spending $50 grand on a truck (come on people... really?). My 300A 5.0 supercrew is awesome, and while I think it should cost less than it did (thanks Ford...) I am supremely happy with the purchase and it has exceeded my expectations.

There's a couple glitches (Sync) now and then, but it gets great gas mileage and power and comfort compared to my 2005 it replaced. I am happy.

Quick Reply: Wind/road noise