2015 - 2020 F-150

LED headlights conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowFx4
I want the raptor retrofits bad bud 1650 is steep
Ya know **** 1650 counts me out for sure , has to be away to take our stock lights and make them like that could really careless for the trendy light bar style less but more so what turns me on is the smoked or paint to match color on the inside , my trucks black so the black part of the Inside of ballst looks nice!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LED headlights conversion

Originally Posted by 15Black4x4
Ya know **** 1650 counts me out for sure , has to be away to take our stock lights and make them like that could really careless for the trendy light bar style less but more so what turns me on is the smoked or paint to match color on the inside , my trucks black so the black part of the Inside of ballst looks nice!
You can! raptor retrofits, and many other places will open up your lights, install projectors and paint them any color you want for cheaper than the OEM LED price. And get this... The output will actually be alot better haha. So win win.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Why on earth would you do a HID retrofit is beyond me. An HID retrofit would run you about $500-$1000 whereas you are spending $2000 on OEM LEDs. I would spend the extra 1k and get LEDs all day, ALL DAY.

Here are the reasons:

LEDs
-Brighter
-Less blinding to incoming traffic
-Light travels further down road
-Will not have to replace any parts for a very long time
-more power efficient

HIDs
-Will need to be replaced every 3 years
-Blinding when looked at certain angles

I think LEDs have surpassed HIDs in every aspect except for fitment. Some cars, you can only do HID retrofit because of how the LED housing is made but if your car has an option of doing LED, itd be dumb not to buy OEM LED and install it. Even the way the projectors are made is very cool and different from the HID projectors

Last edited by Tuan Ha; 04-26-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
LEDs blind people when viewed from certain angles too

It's proven HID Projectors push light further than any LED projector on the market.

I have both retrofitted both LED and HID (side by side) in my 2014 F150

As for service life. I'd rather replace a bulb or ballast for less than 100 bucks vs replacing an entire headlight because the LED isn't serviceable

Old 04-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
LEDs blind people when viewed from certain angles too

It's proven HID Projectors push light further than any LED projector on the market.

I have both retrofitted both LED and HID (side by side) in my 2014 F150

As for service life. I'd rather replace a bulb or ballast for less than 100 bucks vs replacing an entire headlight because the LED isn't serviceable
All I know is that HIDs are going to be obsolete pretty soon.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ed-improvement

Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tuan Ha
Why on earth would you do a HID retrofit is beyond me. An HID retrofit would run you about $500-$1000 whereas you are spending $2000 on OEM LEDs. I would spend the extra 1k and get LEDs all day, ALL DAY.

Here are the reasons:

LEDs
-Brighter
-Less blinding to incoming traffic
-Light travels further down road
-Will not have to replace any parts for a very long time
-more power efficient

HIDs
-Will need to be replaced every 3 years
-Blinding when looked at certain angles

I think LEDs have surpassed HIDs in every aspect except for fitment. Some cars, you can only do HID retrofit because of how the LED housing is made but if your car has an option of doing LED, itd be dumb not to buy OEM LED and install it. Even the way the projectors are made is very cool and different from the HID projectors
This is so far off its funny! The 2013 OEM HIDs beat the 2015 OEM LEDs all day.. All the LEDs on these trucks are in output is a brighter halogen output, not much width and small hot spot..
Even the best OEM LEDs still can't beat OEM HIDs. There is a reason my buddy went from OEM Corolla bi-LED projectors to HID Rx350s. Because the LEDs just weren't good enough. Yes they were wide, but the rx350s were wider, yes they were pretty decent but outshined by the rx350s. And high beams on the LEDs sucked.
Next best thing coming out well be lasers. Haha seriously tho.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Not an expert but I can say that after driving a 2015 Expedition with the OEM HID lights my 2015 F150 OEM LED lights are far superior.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Do some research, the proposed IIHS standards can be met by halogen in a tuned projector

Old 04-26-2016, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by ab46501
Not an expert but I can say that after driving a 2015 Expedition with the OEM HID lights my 2015 F150 OEM LED lights are far superior.
Really? I've seen output shots of the 2015 LEDs and it's pretty pathetic.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by thelariat02
This is so far off its funny! The 2013 OEM HIDs beat the 2015 OEM LEDs all day.. All the LEDs on these trucks are in output is a brighter halogen output, not much width and small hot spot..
Even the best OEM LEDs still can't beat OEM HIDs. There is a reason my buddy went from OEM Corolla bi-LED projectors to HID Rx350s. Because the LEDs just weren't good enough. Yes they were wide, but the rx350s were wider, yes they were pretty decent but outshined by the rx350s. And high beams on the LEDs sucked.
Next best thing coming out well be lasers. Haha seriously tho.

Well if HIDs were better than the LEDs, why is it that the LEDz are only offered in the top packages of the F150? I think you already know the answer to that.

HIDs are not better than LEDs. What HIDs are is that they are a better lighting source than halogen projectors which also isnt bad compared to halogen reflectors.

I got to compare side by side a '14 Lexus rx450h that uses HIDs and a 2015 TLX that uses LED. As with any oem HID system, it provided excellent lighting but the Tlx's LEDs were I would say, 30-40% brighter. Don't believe me? Go find a TLX or MDX and see for yourself.

The problem with TLX jewel eyes are that its too damn bright. If you look at it from under the cut off line, youd think someone have their high beams on and its even brighter than HIDs seen from under the cutoff line. Its fine if you live on even roads but if you are driving on hilly roads with alot of traffic, the cut off lines go above eye level and this blinds the chit out of everyone.

You also have to consider the manufacturer of these Oem LEDs. It seems like there are new makes and models every year while with HIDs, your' stuck with Fresnal, Phillips, Osrams making your lenses and D2S bulbs.

With the above mentioned, a strong wall beam pattern should not be a determining factor when it comes to picking the best source of light. It is if you are comparing HIDs to HIds but not HId to LEDs. What determines the best lighting source is 1. Lumen output 2. Acceptable glare levels.

This meets the two criteria and notice that the beam isnt that strong and thats fine. Leds from f150 platinum

This on the other hand, will blind the living chit out of everyone in its path. Not to mention, you cant throw the light further up without blinding people unlike LEDS.

Last edited by Tuan Ha; 04-26-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Global Moderator &

OEM f150 LED lights are non projector. You can not possibly think they are even half as good a HID Projector.

Even then head to head, LED projector and HID projector, the HID wins every time in wodth, and distance. LED only slightly has an edge on foreground lighting.

Again I have both, side by side, in the same headlamp, and can tell you first hand the differences

Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
OEM f150 LED lights are non projector. You can not possibly think they are even half as good a HID Projector.

Even then head to head, LED projector and HID projector, the HID wins every time in wodth, and distance. LED only slightly has an edge on foreground lighting.

Again I have both, side by side, in the same headlamp, and can tell you first hand the differences
The f150 uses a lens to project its light so it DOES use a projector. Its just not cut the same like the fresnal lenses you see HID systems. The only car that I know of that uses LEDS for its lowbeams WITHOUT projector lenses is the honda accord. The leds sits in a reflector bowl lol.

The crystal block is the projector and the black box behind it sits the led diode that lights up. Its the same chit as hids dude

Am I crazy here? It seems like you havent got to compare side by side. Like I said, the Tlx is 30-40% brighter than OEM HIDs. Go see for yourself FIRST and than come back here and tell me it isnt brighter. If anything, Hid are much brighter on forground lighting. Its like everything you said is backwards lol.

Last edited by Tuan Ha; 04-26-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:42 PM
Global Moderator &

No, Clear lens is just a fluted plastic/glass. and the black box is a heatsink.

The fluted lens refracts light, not magnifies and focuses, therfore not a projector

Old 04-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Can you not see where Patman says he has them both in his headlights. Literally he has 3 projectors in his lights he made. So yes be has compared then side by side.

Explorer also has LEDs in reflector housings fyi

The HID projector your comparing is it bi-xenon and is the LED on the TLX single LED no high beam solenoid? If so you're comparing apples to oranges. Every projector is set up different. Don't better low beam light and ok high beam. Some decent low beam with amazing high beam. Single xenon which has the hot spot focused more in the low beam making it brighter. You have to take that into factor to.
And that picture of the HID projector that cut off is meant to be there so it doesn't go into people's eyes. You wanna see further you turn on the high beams, the shield raises and you get more distance.

Quick Reply: LED headlights conversion