2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jacking the truck with Airbags...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacking the truck with Airbags...

Purchased the Firestone 2525 kit for my '13 Limited.

Truck needed an oil change and I figured I'd rotate the tires at the same time (front to back and vice versa). I jacked under the frame at the middle of the truck. Right side in the air, left side on the ground. Right side suspension at full travel. Left side compressed.

Pulled front and rear right passenger side wheels/tires off. Figured I'd go ahead and install the airbag kit since access was excellent.

Bolted the bag and brackets to the frame, but there was no way in hell the bottom bracket was going to bolt to the leaf spring with the supplied U-bolts. Waaaaaaayyy too far away.

Now, I know this is due to the way I jacked the truck up... and to install the bags, you'd have to support the axle on stands with the weight of the truck on the springs... but does this not greatly LIMIT the suspension travel, or at the least, risk ripping the bags if the suspension were to ATTEMPT to travel fully??? And any future maintenance (tire rotation, brake work) means no jacking on the frame... only at the differential?

Old 10-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Curious to know as well being I just received the Airlift 5000 but haven't had time to put them on.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:44 PM
I have all service done with axle lifts. I keep 5-7psi in bags when truck bed is empty, not sure what full articulation might do?

Old 10-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
From Page 4 of the install guide:

Excerpt

Firestone 2525

NOTE:
Too much air pressure in the air helper springs will result in a firmer ride, while too little air pressure will allow the air helper spring to bottom out over rough conditions. Too little air pressure will also not provide the improvement in handling that is possible. TO PREVENT POSSIBLE DAMAGE MAINTAIN A MINIMUM OF 5 psi IN THE AIR HELPER SPRINGS AT ALL TIMES.

Once the air helper springs are installed, it is recommended that the vehicle not be lifted by the frame, as over-extension may occur, resulting in damage to the air helper springs. However, should it become necessary to raise the vehicle by the frame, deflate both air helper springs completely

/End excerpt

Essentially - if you can find the maximum extension spec for those bags (and not exceed it) you should be fine. For myself - axle lifts/supports as far outboard as possible is ideal - and safe.

BTW - never jack on the pumpkin - the fulcrum you create can damage the rear end, ( usually by cracking the axle tubes, and/or pumpkin casting ). There is even a prohibition in the truck's Owner's Guide - and you can be certain the warranty for any affected components will be voided for any damage incurred by doing so.

And yeah - befer y'all, 'er anywun else, goes there - lotsa of folks do it. I say let 'em - ain't my truck potentially bein' pekker'd. Doesn't change the fact that it's a Spectacularly dumb idear. lol

Good luck.

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-26-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

Once the air helper springs are installed, it is recommended that the vehicle not be lifted by the frame, as over-extension may occur, resulting in damage to the air helper springs. However, should it become necessary to raise the vehicle by the frame, deflate both air helper springs completely
Thanks MGD.

So they say it shouldn't be lifted by the frame, but if you do, deflate the bags. A little contradictory but I'll move forward in the future being aware and always supporting the axle.

I installed the bags yesterday without issue. Once the axle was supported by jackstands with the weight of the truck/bed on the axle, the bags slipped right in.

I used the two lower license plate mounting screw holes to mount the two Schrader valves for inflation/deflation.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BLK_03
Thanks MGD.

So they say it shouldn't be lifted by the frame, but if you do, deflate the bags. A little contradictory but I'll move forward in the future being aware and always supporting the axle.

I installed the bags yesterday without issue. Once the axle was supported by jackstands with the weight of the truck/bed on the axle, the bags slipped right in.

I used the two lower license plate mounting screw holes to mount the two Schrader valves for inflation/deflation.
Hi.

Good deal - nice install, BTW.

Perhaps they consider the bags, fully deflated, are in their most 'elastic' state. At least long enough to jack, then support the axle.

Best of luck.

Cheers
MGD

PS - are those air valves stainless? My BIL installed a set and within a year the things looked horrible - all rusty n'sich.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

Good deal - nice install, BTW.

Perhaps they consider the bags, fully deflated, are in their most 'elastic' state. At least long enough to jack, then support the axle.

Best of luck.

Cheers
MGD

PS - are those air valves stainless? My BIL installed a set and within a year the things looked horrible - all rusty n'sich.
Sorry for the late reply. The valves appear to be brass.

I located the Schrader valves on the lower license plate mounting holes (previously unused).

So far everything seems to be doing fine. Bags worked perfectly for leveling while towing. I don't really notice too much difference driving without a load.

Quick Reply: Jacking the truck with Airbags...