2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Back from the dead, looking at getting back into an F-150

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Back from the dead, looking at getting back into an F-150

I was a frequent member here about 4 years ago when i owned an 05 FX4. Really liked that truck, hated the mileage i was getting (6" on 35s with 4.56s) I was driving a lot for my job and eventually sold the truck in favor of an SVT Focus. Drove that car for a couple years and started a glass company so i bought a 2008 Super Duty with the 6.4L. Wife and i are expecting our first, being that the SD is an Ext. Cab. and rides like a tank, our little man will need a wee bit more room than an Ext. Cab Super Duty offers. I absolutely LOVE the Super Duty but sacrifices have to be made. Truck is going to its new owner in about a week.

I am wanting to get back into an F-150, but 11+ this time around. I want your advice on what i should be looking at or looking for. Here is my criteria

- 2011+
- SuperCrew
- FX4
- Want EcoBoost, may have to settle for 5.0

What should i be looking at if i find a 2011 EcoBoost? How about an 11 5.0? I haven't heard of many issues with these trucks in specific but i know there are a few that exist. My biggest fear is buying someone else's problem. I don't have a problem with buying from a private owner or dealer, i was in car sales before starting my business and know how to handle dealers. I wanted to buy new but i cant justify a $500 payment after putting 15k down, so used it is. I am looking in the High 20k, low 30k range.

Mainly wanting your opinion on what issues to look for with the 11-12 trucks. I think the 13s are priced a bit higher than i am willing to pay.

Thank you in advance!

- Mark

Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I just traded in a 2011 XLT with the 5.0. 81,600 problem free miles. A very good truck.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your input! I do like the 5.0 but heard the Ecoboost is better for towing. I also like the idea of the power you can get out of a tuned Eco as well.

If anyone has went from a tuned 6.4L diesel back to a gas engine, i'm sure you'd understand. lol

Old 10-03-2014, 08:05 AM

I had two 6.4s prior to my f150, one being a full out mod motor. Yes the truck was fun, but pulling the trans for broken input shafts got old. Not to mention the thought of the ever popular growing cracked block mod. Nice trucks, but expensive to own. I wanted something a little more worry free and less maintenance so I ended up finding myself back in an f150. For comforts sake, I'll take one of these anyday of the sd, and I was even running icon products all the way around. If you're a power junkie, you'll be disappointed, but coming for a truck that was capable of hitting four digit rwhp numbers, I don't think much could compare in that department. Overall I'm happy with the swap. Less fuel consumption, less maintenance, less broken parts, cheaper payment, etc. The diesel kick just got old to me. Not to mention every D bag and their brother with a CumminGz has to roll coal. It really brings a lot of undue attention, especially since I had a slight haze from running big injectors. As far a buying new, I bought my fx4 new about this time last year and was getting some killer rebates. The rebates coupled with the financing my bank was running at the time made me a deal I couldn't pass up on a new truck.

Last edited by One2nine; 10-03-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Back from the dead, looking at getting back into an F-150