2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BREAKING NEWS: Ford – F150 EcoBoost Shudder Fix Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jlc41
Or I could keep driving my trouble free 98 f150, just saying.
Sounds good. My 97, 06 and 11 F150s have all been trouble free. I see a pattern here.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was my problem and I went to the dealer again and they ordered the parts for me. Waiting for them to arrive.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Timely fix!

Just finished 3-day 1500 mile round trip in new Eco FX4. Amazingly comfortable. Avg. 17 going combining speeds ranging from 55-80 as engine broke-in. Coming back 400 miles into return trip, raining, in passing lane accelerating thru 75 - boom - truck shudders, shakes and loses power. Check engine light comes on and goes into a "limp mode" continuing to decelerate. Lucky traffic accommodated such a sudden collapse. Stumbled along for several minutes, drive out pf rain and truck began to recover. Hope the fix is really a fix, this could've been disasterous.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Dear Ford,
I bought a new 2011 F-150, SuperCrew, 4X4, lariat, 3.5L Ecoboost.
VIN. # 1FTFW1ET9BFC82950
Plant Built: Dearborn
Make Date: 9/11
I’m having a Rough Idle / Shake in gear and a Shudder issue at take off from a stop.
This is a Safety Problem, the truck feels like it wants to shut off.
I had the truck in several times for this repair, the problem is still there.
I have Marilyn from Ford Customer Service working with me.
My Case # 1372571502
I had the truck in the shop on 12/12/12, Customer # 72462
Echelon Ford
Stratford, New Jersey. 08084
856-627-8400
Parts needed to be ordered: As Per. TSB 12–10–19
Brought truck back for repair, they installed the TSB 12-10-19
The truck still did the same thing; Rough Idle / Shake in Gear and Shudder at take off
From a stop.
Called Echelon Ford Dealer on Monday 01/07/13 @ 8:45am for service, appointment was made to drop off same day at 3-3:30pm.
After waiting 40-45 minutes. in service, for the foreman John.
Walt the Service Manager came out to test drive my truck, needless to say we never got to test drive the truck.
Walt asked me what the truck is doing. I said the same thing as last year, just change the date on the work order. Walt went off on me and spoke down to belittle me. he said all ford trucks idle that way. I had ford trucks and cars my whole life I never had these problems before with any of my ford vehicles.
I spent Good Money $52,000 for this Truck!
After getting verbally beat-up he said there is nothing he can do for me, He sent me home with no fix and no paper work to even say I was there for service.
I left work early to make this Ford truck appointment, spent over 3 ½ Hours and got nothing done. At this time I felt so SICK and UPSET with your Ford Service Manager Walt.
He had the wrong approach to handle my Truck Problems with Me. The last thing you want to here is: THAT IS HOW THE TRUCK IS!!...
If I did that at my work! They would let me go. I would be OUTSIDE LOOKING IN!..
It’s time to fine a new FORD DEALER.

THANK YOU for YOUR TIME.
I AM ONE VERY UNHAPPY FORD CUSTOMER!
Richard Maciocha

Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tractorboat1
Dear Ford,
Walt went off on me and spoke down to belittle me. he said all ford trucks idle that way.

After getting verbally beat-up he said there is nothing he can do for me, He sent me home with no fix and no paper work to even say I was there for service.
Richard Maciocha
Wow! I just ordered a 2013 KR with about the same sticker price and I would have been irate to be treated in that manner. I know there are thousands of parts that go into a new vehicle and sometimes, there will need to be some work done to get it right. But there is no excuse for being treated in that manner.

I would have walked out of that dealer and my next call would have been to the Ford district manager. Maybe ole Walt was having a real bad day, and maybe he's won about a hundred customer service awards in his time. That's up to the owner of the dealership to ponder. But I know that would have been the last time he spoke to me. Life is just too short to be treated like that.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tractorboat1
Dear Ford,
I bought a new 2011 F-150, SuperCrew, 4X4, lariat, 3.5L Ecoboost.
VIN. # 1FTFW1ET9BFC82950
Plant Built: Dearborn
Make Date: 9/11
I’m having a Rough Idle / Shake in gear and a Shudder issue at take off from a stop.
This is a Safety Problem, the truck feels like it wants to shut off.
I had the truck in several times for this repair, the problem is still there.
I have Marilyn from Ford Customer Service working with me.
My Case # 1372571502
I had the truck in the shop on 12/12/12, Customer # 72462
Echelon Ford
Stratford, New Jersey. 08084
856-627-8400
Parts needed to be ordered: As Per. TSB 12–10–19
Brought truck back for repair, they installed the TSB 12-10-19
The truck still did the same thing; Rough Idle / Shake in Gear and Shudder at take off
From a stop.
Called Echelon Ford Dealer on Monday 01/07/13 @ 8:45am for service, appointment was made to drop off same day at 3-3:30pm.
After waiting 40-45 minutes. in service, for the foreman John.
Walt the Service Manager came out to test drive my truck, needless to say we never got to test drive the truck.
Walt asked me what the truck is doing. I said the same thing as last year, just change the date on the work order. Walt went off on me and spoke down to belittle me. he said all ford trucks idle that way. I had ford trucks and cars my whole life I never had these problems before with any of my ford vehicles.
I spent Good Money $52,000 for this Truck!
I left work early to make this Ford truck appointment, spent over 3 ½ Hours and got nothing done. At this time I felt so SICK and UPSET with your Ford Service Manager Walt.
He had the wrong approach to handle my Truck Problems with Me. The last thing you want to here is: THAT IS HOW THE TRUCK IS!!...
If I did that at my work! They would let me go. I would be OUTSIDE LOOKING IN!..
It’s time to fine a new FORD DEALER.

THANK YOU for YOUR TIME.
Richard Maciocha
Update?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oneminddoc
Lucky traffic accommodated such a sudden collapse. Stumbled along for several minutes, drive out pf rain and truck began to recover. Hope the fix is really a fix, this could've been disasterous.
This is why I think this should be a safety recall and not just a TSB. Has anyone had this CAC replacement done WITHOUT prior symptoms? Id like to be proactive about this, but unsure of how to approach a dealer with a as of yet to happen issue.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 AM
I had it done yesterday but I only had the problem after driving in 100* plus heat for over 5 hrs. I wont know if it was fixed until my next long road trip.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 PM
As far as I know this issue is still lingering, couple of my buddies around here with EB's are having the same issues regardless of the new CAC.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by prime81
As far as I know this issue is still lingering, couple of my buddies around here with EB's are having the same issues regardless of the new CAC.
Everyone else with the latest intercooler (TSB) or trucks built after 9/18/12 are claiming no more issues.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
My EB only misfired once and threw a code P0430, I also never had the shudder That y'all talk about. It is currently at the ford place waiting on driver side catalyst and the new CAC - not too thrilled about it either. It took 27,500k for anything to happen / go wrong with my 2011 EB

Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm looking at buying a new F-150 within the next week or so, I was sold on the ecoboost until a guy I work with said he was doing some research on them because he was thinking about getting one as well. He told me about the "limp mode". I came across this thread among many others and now I'm hesitant on getting it. I don't know if they have solved this problem in the 2013 models or not. I'm more than likely still going with a Ford but not sure on the ecoboost or if I should go with the 5.0. Does anyone have any information about the new models and what Ford has done to fix the problem if anything?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by rstewart1989
I'm looking at buying a new F-150 within the next week or so, I was sold on the ecoboost until a guy I work with said he was doing some research on them because he was thinking about getting one as well. He told me about the "limp mode". I came across this thread among many others and now I'm hesitant on getting it. I don't know if they have solved this problem in the 2013 models or not. I'm more than likely still going with a Ford but not sure on the ecoboost or if I should go with the 5.0. Does anyone have any information about the new models and what Ford has done to fix the problem if anything?
If the Ecoboost F150 is built after 9-18-12 it will have the newly designed intercooler etc. and won't have the issues.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by NASSTY
If the Ecoboost F150 is built after 9-18-12 it will have the newly designed intercooler etc. and won't have the issues.
My 2013 ecoboost was built in October 2012. I have had the shudder happen when I pulled onto the highway in -15•c in Alberta. ( I've read a ton of forums that state this usually occurs in high humidity locations.. last i checked Alberta winters are far from this) I went to the local dealership who basically advised me to get in line and that although a "fix" is available that there is no date when these parts will arrive.. I was also told that there is at least 2000 ecoboosts in Canada with this problem.

What bothers me is that they continue to sell these engines to people every day. If Ford is saying that the fix launched in September 2012 fixes the problem, I'm here to say nothing has been fixed. To me this is a huge safety issue and I'm shocked that this hasn't been made public knowledge by consumers watch etc..

Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon40
I have had the shudder happen when I pulled onto the highway in..What bothers me is that they continue to sell these engines to people every day. If Ford is saying that the fix launched in September 2012 fixes the problem, I'm here to say...
There multiple issues. You may have an issue the new parts are not meant to correct. This whole thing got started because of 5.0 owners experiencing the shuttering so it's not EB specific.

There is a slight shudder at steady speeds that many have solved by the reflash and checking their plug gaps, and then there is a complete loss of power/shake which the new parts were supposed to have corrected.

Which problem do you have?

Quick Reply: BREAKING NEWS: Ford – F150 EcoBoost Shudder Fix Confirmed