2004 - 2008 F-150

Accessory/cab power will not go off - 2004 F-150 SuperCrew

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessory/cab power will not go off - 2004 F-150 SuperCrew

Last week, I had my instrument cluster repaired so that the intermittent brake light no longer comes on and off. Prior to it being fixed, the dome lights would not come on when the driver door was opened, but dome lights came on when all other doors were open.

After the instrument cluster was repaired, everything works as it should: no brake light, domes lights come on when there are supposed to, chimes work right;

but now the accessory power is on all of the time. I can turn the truck off, pull the key, open the door, and the radio still plays and the power windows still work. I can leave it alone, go back later, and accessory power is still on with no key in the ignition.

I've searched and read, and I'm in the process of trying things. I swapped relays for accessory power in the fuse box, but this had no effect. I've read about a purple wire splice under the rear driver side sill that goes bad and causes this, but from what I read, this usually prevents the door lights and chimes from coming on when the door is opened. There are a few other wire/splice/corrosion issues that I've read about, but problems due to these seem to be more than just the accessory power stays on.

I can't help but think that this problem is tied to the instrument cluster repair due to the timing of my problem showing up: accessory worked like it was supposed to before the repair, accessory won't go off after the repair. Can this accessory power be due to something wrong in the instrument cluster? Thank you.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM
I have the same problem. When I turn off my truck I have to reach over and open and shut my passenger side door for everything to disengage. Please help. 2005 F-150 Fx4

Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Chaz904, I'm speaking out of ignorance here, but based on some of the things that I've read, you may need to check your driver's door switch, since it seems that only the driver door is not cutting the accessory power off.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 PM
I'm still troubleshooting without any luck. Some more information:

With the key out and the door open, accessory power is still on - power windows work, radio plays. I can shut all doors, walk away for hours, come back, and accessory power is still on. It does not time out.

I can disconnect the right harness out of the instrument panel, and it kills accessory power and all lights in the cab. If I have all doors shut and reconnect this harness, the accessory power remains off, but as soon as I open any door, the accessory power is back on and stays on until I disconnect the right harness again. If I reconnect the harness with any door open, then the accessory power comes back on.

I have been disconnecting the harness every night to make sure the battery stays up.

If I can't find the problem, I'm sending the instrument panel back to see if they can run diagnostics on it. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I'll post back if I find the problem.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM
I had this problem in my '04. In the drivers side rear sill I found the purple wire that was spliced in and corroded. There was also a pile of water that was sitting in the sill. I drilled some holes for drainage and fixed the splice. No problems since.