2004 - 2008 F-150

Cam phasers? Timing tensioner bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam phasers? Timing tensioner bad?

Hi everyone, I have a 2007 Ford F-150 FX2 5.4 3V. For the past month I began to here a rattles coming from the engine, but could not pin point where it was coming from. I did not see at the time a performance drop until recently. The rattle became louder and the engine during acceleration would bog, hesitate, struggle to give any power until I reached 30mph and at 50 mph would begin to misfire. Now reading threads and posts over and over, my mind has become fried. I already have been through the whole spark plug issue and they were replaced months ago for a second time. So anyway I took it to a retired Ford mechanic I know and he stated it was the driver side cat. So I took it to a local exhaust shop, had both cats replaced and 2 O2 sensors, $650 dollars later and same issue.
So I took it to another mechanic and he stated the transmission. Now in my head I'm like no way. Sure enough a hour later after I left that shop the check engine light finally came on. I was in relief since the truck rarely will throw a code. I scanned the truck and P0340 pooped up Cam Shaft Position sensor bank 2, drivers side. Now know I can ghost the sensor by unplugging it, I did. Sure as hell truck ran fine. So for the heck of it I replaced that sensor, plugged it in and reconnected the battery. Same symptoms. So for the past three days I have been running the engine without the sensor connected.
I am looking for members that have experienced my issues or know what would be causing whats going on, cam phasers, chain tensioners, VCT solenoids.
To note the Cam Phasers do not make the howling ticking noise. All I hear is rattle when the cam shaft position sensor is connected. When the the sensor is disconnected, the rattle is 99% gone, but at times I would hear for a slight second a rattle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-19-2015, 06:16 AM
The VCT solenoids have been known to cause some issues like this. If it's the wire that goes into the top of the valve cover you're disconnecting, that is the VCT solenoid, which controls flow to the cam phaser to adjust retard or advance cam timing. They are about $50 a piece to replace. Sometimes they can get gummed up or the screens on them can come apart and cause this. The part # for the new updated solenoids is 8L3Z-6M280-B. It's not a guaranteed fix, but it's not uncommon.

Last edited by 07F150Lariat5.4; 06-19-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:12 AM
would the VCT make that rattle noise? I disconnected the cam shaft position sensor on the front of the engine. I might try that first since I was going to replace them as you stated a common issue.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Yes, it can make it rattle. I would start off with solenoids and hopefully it will fix it. Been several have similar symptoms and fixed with new solenoids. If that doesn't fix it, then you may have other issues with your timing components. As you said like a bad tensioner, stretched chain, broke chain guide, among other things.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:41 PM
On the 2007 model can you pop the VCT's out or do I have to remove the valve covers to remove them? I read some threads that stated yes and no

Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 PM
On the 2007s, you do have to remove the valve cover. Here is a good video of the procedure I found on YouTube.

Quick Reply: Cam phasers? Timing tensioner bad?