2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 F150 FX4 sun roof question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 FX4 sun roof question

I have two questions regarding my sunroof.

1. With my factory stereo, my moon roof will automatically close when I shut the truck off and open the doors. It appears it was somehow wired to the stereo. I recently replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket unit. Now the feature will not work. I am looking for some help determining how exactly the factory stereo controlled the sunroof. My truck DID NOT have a subwoofer, but the factory radio had two harnesses that plugged into it. With the aftermarket unit, the smaller harness just dangles freely.

2. One fine bone freezing cold day, my sun roof started to make a lot of noise as if wind is blowing through. I tried to open it, but it will not budge. The next day was a bit warmer and it did start to open and close like it should. However, it seems it is not sealing quite right as it is still very noisy. I checked around and do no see any leaks per say. Took it through a carwash and did not see any water gushing through either. It is noisy only at highway speed. Looking for some ideas where to look.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm not positive on 2004, but my 2008 moonroof does not open or close unless I push the button to operate it. Doesn't matter if the radio is on/off or the ignition is on/off. I feel like someone tampered with the wiring. As far a the wind noise, I'd check the tracks/armature mechanism to see if something has come loose and is allowing the sunroof to drop under pressure.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:47 PM
I do not think any sunroof will automatically close...someone/thing can get stuck it it...at least that is the thinkin behind it...

My 05 will open all the way with one touch...I have worked on alot of cars over the years and have not seen one that closed automatically...not sayin that it isnt possible...just haven't seen one...

Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ive seen plenty of moonroofs that will auto-close, but the F-150 doesn't do it unless someone messed with the controller module.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Very interesting on the auto-close....This was a program truck I bought about 10 years back with just 25k miles on it. Oh well, guess I need to make sure I manually close it when I get out of the truck.
I am going to install a sub-woofer here soon - made the box myself. When I go to install it, I will try to test with the factory radio just to check my theory that somehow someone did tie it to the factory radio.
Good point on the sunroof coming down under pressure. I will check the track this weekend.
Thank you all for the responses so far.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 FX4 sun roof question