2004 - 2008 F-150

Oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil usage

Have a 04 new body style fx4 5.4/3 valve.

Trucks has just started using oil all of a sudden. Do most if my own maintenance. I've always used Mobil 1 5w-20 and motorcraft filters. It would normally be between 1/2-1qt I oil low between changes(5000 miles).

Truck had a bit of a tick this morning that lasted longer than the normal start up. Thought it was strange so I shut it off and checked the oil. Nothing on the dipstick!! Put 2qts in(all I had). Drove to get more. Truck sounds fine, no idiot lights, and gauge says it's ok. Read some have had trouble with the dipstick so just got everything for a oil change. Drive home drop oil measure and there's only a bit over 4qts in it. Filled it up with 6.5 qts and the dipstick reads correct.

How did an idiot light not come on?

Never made any funny sounds or drove other than normal.

Have had a cel for p0442 evap that I never could trace and stopped worrying about. I don't think the 2 problems are connected, but getting all the info out there.

I know the PVC is inside the valve cover. How do I check it? Any other ideas on where to start?

Old 01-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lsc8
Have a 04 new body style fx4 5.4/3 valve.

Trucks has just started using oil all of a sudden. Do most if my own maintenance. I've always used Mobil 1 5w-20 and motorcraft filters. It would normally be between 1/2-1qt I oil low between changes(5000 miles).

Truck had a bit of a tick this morning that lasted longer than the normal start up. Thought it was strange so I shut it off and checked the oil. Nothing on the dipstick!! Put 2qts in(all I had). Drove to get more. Truck sounds fine, no idiot lights, and gauge says it's ok. Read some have had trouble with the dipstick so just got everything for a oil change. Drive home drop oil measure and there's only a bit over 4qts in it. Filled it up with 6.5 qts and the dipstick reads correct.

How did an idiot light not come on?

Never made any funny sounds or drove other than normal.

Have had a cel for p0442 evap that I never could trace and stopped worrying about. I don't think the 2 problems are connected, but getting all the info out there.

I know the PVC is inside the valve cover. How do I check it? Any other ideas on where to start?
Found ~60 threads on this topic via a quickie Search.

Here's one with some checks you can perform:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...4l-triton.html

Old 01-25-2015, 05:39 PM
I've done a search, as a matter of fact I read that exact article this morning. I wouldn't be happy about a motor using a quart every 3000 miles but could prob live with it but mine just used 5 qts in about 2 weeks. Not really the same, not to mention the truck has never drank oil before this. All that I mentioned earlier.

I guess the your advise is to live with it?

Old 01-25-2015, 05:47 PM
I've done a search, as a matter of fact I read that exact article this morning. I wouldn't be happy about a motor using a quart every 3000 miles but could prob live with it but mine just used 5 qts in about 2 weeks. Not really the same, not to mention the truck has never drank oil before this. All that I mentioned earlier.

I guess the your advise is to live with it?
No - don't put words into my mouth. And how would I know how extensively/effectively you've searched? The vast majority of folks asking fer help here don't do it at all.

I'm indicating you still need to keep looking, because in those threads are mention of things like stuck ring packs that allow excessive blow-by, compression checks, head gaskets passing oil to the coolant, and just how unsuitable M1 is in a Triton.... and so on ....

Additionally -There are hundreds more threads on F150forum ....

MGD out.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:48 PM
No external leaks
All fittings tight
All caps are there
From my search I learned that the PVC valve is built into the valve cover. What I cannot find is how to diagnose it. Is it a replacement only part? I don't want to move onto blocked oil passages until I've checked the PVC per the article you suggest. Hence my prior question in this and the first post.

How do you diagnose/check to make sure the PVC is working? I know on other vehicles you remove and shake it to see if plugged. Do you just have to remove valve cover and check the same way?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 PM
No external leaks
All fittings tight
All caps are there
From my search I learned that the PVC valve is built into the valve cover. What I cannot find is how to diagnose it. Is it a replacement only part? I don't want to move onto blocked oil passages until I've checked the PVC per the article you suggest. Hence my prior question in this and the first post.

How do you diagnose/check to make sure the PVC is working? I know on other vehicles you remove and shake it to see if plugged. Do you just have to remove valve cover and check the same way?
On this engine, it's just an orifice, IIRC. Hence, to inspect/clean it, the valve cover needs to come off.

MGD

Quick Reply: Oil usage