2004 - 2008 F-150

Hard starting on 06 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:11 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Lift the fuel rail with the injectors still attached, and put paper under the injectors. Turn on the key and see if any of them drip.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dropped the truck off at my dealer again with the instruction to keep it until it's fixed. It might have to sit a day or two before it really starts hard and sometimes mixed with the black smoke is white smoke. There's a leak into the combustion chambers IMHO but it may be more than fuel. I asked again how they test the injectors and was told "with a computer." I again mentioned the method as written by glc and that their "computer" method wasn't doing any good. We'll see what happens.
Karl

Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Fixed! Maybe...(again)

Going to pick the truck up from the dealer this morning. Service writer said that #3 injector was leaking. Presumably they pulled them out and put them under pressure this time. We'll see.
Karl

Old 07-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes!

Along with the #3 injector, the corresponding spark plug was replaced as it was fouled. Kind of wonder how come they didn't notice the original #3 plug was worse than the others when they replaced them all last month. Anyway, the truck runs like it was when new and I haven't been able to say that for nearly half a year.
Karl

Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by ryjay7887
I started this post a while back and I haven't really had toooo many times where its came up again...I have been running some lucas fuel system cleaner through maby every third or fourth tank. Now up here in Maine, the weather is just now FINALLY getting warmer (above 50) and It did it to me twice just today. uggg this is a pain. Any new info from anybody about this?

Mine is doing the same thing now that the weather is getting warmer again. Last fall I had everything from the fuel tank up to the fuel filter replaced. Fuel pump, modual, filter replaced. I was sad to see the problem return. The warmer the weather gets, the more times I have to crank the engine for it to start. In the mornings it's about 30 degrees out and starts right up, when I leave work it's 50 degrees or more and it just turns over and over then finally starts. Frustrating.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:08 PM
2007 5.4 has hard starts especially when hot anyone know how to fix it I have done fuel pump, starter, spark plugs, coils packs, mass air flow sensor, and I have only put chevron gas in it the entire life of the vehicle. When I had the timing chain seal replaced the dealership said there was alot of Carbon in the engine! So much for spending more money for chevron gas all these years it didn't do anything to help the engine.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no matter what brand gas you put.. any gas with ethanol will foul everything it touches if not destroy it in time... included added carbon

Quick Reply: Hard starting on 06 5.4