1997 - 2003 F-150

major electrical problems. need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
major electrical problems. need help

well everyone, here we go with a major brain twister.
i have a 2001 f150 supercrew. i got home today from working out of town and went to start my truck and the battery was low from sitting so we used a jump pack to start it and i went to roll the windows down and they didnt work. so i started checking other things and i have no wipers, turn signals, brake lights, hazards, radio, and i cannot shift out of park. i pulled the negative battery cable and was able to turn the key to the run position and it went into gear but as soon as i hooked the battery back up it wouldnt work again. i pulled and checked every fuse and none of them are blown. any ideas. and help would be awesome

Old 04-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
There is something wrong with this picture.
Pulling the battery negative loses all power to the truck.
The shifter lock out depends on power to the relay after the brake pedal is pushed to allow actuation.
Being able to shift out of park with the battery disconnected usually can' be done.
If the battery is down, check for charging first.
Then proceed from those results.
Good luck.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:50 AM
1st jumper packs are weak batteries. They are used to HELP start a weak battery that cranks too slow, not start a dead truck. Pull off the cables and recharge your battery. If you use the alternator to recharge it, you will be buying a new Alternator! its use to maintain , recharge a dead battery!!! Or take the battery to Advanced or Autozone and have it recharged/tested if you can't do it yourself. they do it for free. Low battery voltage is your problem, not everything else.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:42 PM
If you can't get the entire truck to autozone or advance, pull the battery, take it there and get it tested. If it tests fine, pull the alternator and get it tested. if you have time, pull both and take them at the same time.
Beware: I have had them tell me my battery was bad before (and I bought a new one) only to find out my alternator was bad.

Quick Reply: major electrical problems. need help