1997 - 2003 F-150

New Fuel Tank: Tank Straps To Short

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Fuel Tank: Tank Straps To Short

1997 Ford F150 Ext. Cab Lariat 5.4L

So I spent my day replacing the fuel tank in my truck. After running to get a replacement fuel sensor, went to put Humpty Dumpty back together, and was going good until I started messing with the tank straps.

The straps I got from O'Reilly happen to be oh... 1.5-2 inches short of the holes to bolt in.

My thought is to get a couple of grade 8 bolts, and rig it together. But there's a small voice in the back of my head saying don't do it!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why are you replacing the tank when Ford has a recall on it?

Jim

Old 10-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Thats the last post I needed to see after the last 2 days I had under her. Ill have to look into that. Old one is still sitting in the shed. Might just swap it back in and let them deal with the strap issue.

My fix did work (for now). Holding 18 gallons with no sign of letting up. I'll take her down the highway tomorrow and see how well it does.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by ajf227
Thats the last post I needed to see after the last 2 days I had under her. Ill have to look into that. Old one is still sitting in the shed. Might just swap it back in and let them deal with the strap issue.

My fix did work (for now). Holding 18 gallons with no sign of letting up. I'll take her down the highway tomorrow and see how well it does.
I have to admit this one gave me a good chuckle! Call your ford dealership and give them your VIN, and they'll tell you if your truck is covered; it probably is.

I had the straps replaced on my '97 XLT 4X4 and my Lightning.

Let us know what happens.

Jim

Old 10-27-2014, 03:43 AM
I think it comes down to my tank being aftermarket, not OEM. After getting blown off by my Ford dealer, i rhink ill just have my regular mechanic take care of the strap issue. Hasnt fallen off in 100+ miles so I think it will be fine.

Looking forward to getting her back into shape so I can just enjoy the ride.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by jaymz
Why are you replacing the tank when Ford has a recall on it?

Jim
I thought they released this recall only for some snow/weather related areas only? I know my brother is covered in NY but I was not in NC now.

Quick Reply: New Fuel Tank: Tank Straps To Short