1997 - 2003 F-150

New guy. Possible new buy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy. Possible new buy.

Hello, I'm new here and joined hoping maybe some of you could offer some advice.
I'm looking at a 2003 F150 with 77000 miles. It is 2wd, 5.4 liter Triton, crew cab.
The truck also has a 7.5 inch Fab Tech long travel kit with a 3 inch lift.
Everything looks pretty good on the truck and the price is good but I don't know anything about the long travel kit on there. Is it going to be a maintenance nightmare? I don't plan on banging the hell out of it off-road, basically daily driving with occasional forays into the dirt. I live in L.A.
Is there anything specific I should look for when I check the truck out? Possible problems, etc.? I'm trying to be as informed as I can and figured I'd ask some experts. Classic Mustangs I know a lot about, 03 f150s? Not as much.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not a expert...but I'll toss out a few thoughts.

I would crawl under it and look around...looking for beat up components or leaking fluids, or rust. Being from LA...the rust might not be a huge concern...but ya never know where the truck has been.

Big thing is try to get as much previous maintenance records as possible. I would change all the fluids and the spark plugs...doing a compression check along with the spark plugs. And toss on a new fuel filter too. Oh and torque the spark plugs to 28 ftlbs

check the exhaust manifolds for cracks or corroded /missing bolt heads on the exhaust manifolds.

If it is running rough....check for vacuum leaks. The elbow from the PCV on the firewall side of the intake manifold, ( plugs into the IAC), tends to be troublesome spot.

Quick Reply: New guy. Possible new buy.