1997 - 2003 F-150

97 Odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Odometer not working

I was talking with my Mom today who lives in NC and I live in GA. She still drives my Dad’s, who passed away 3 years ago, ‘97 F150. She told me that the odometer doesn't work anymore but the speedometer still works. She took it to her local mechanic and once she told him what her symptoms were he said he knew exactly what it was without looking at it and she would have to leave the truck for 2 weeks and it would cost $250 to repair. I did a quick search after getting off the phone and found that a common problem for the 97’s, which is analog, is the worm gear that attaches to the motor that drives the odometer. Is this accurate? I can order the worm gear online for $25. I’m fairly handy and feel that I could replace this part if that is indeed the problem. What are y’alls thoughts on this problem? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by evolbob
I was talking with my Mom today who lives in NC and I live in GA. She still drives my Dad’s, who passed away 3 years ago, ‘97 F150. She told me that the odometer doesn't work anymore but the speedometer still works. She took it to her local mechanic and once she told him what her symptoms were he said he knew exactly what it was without looking at it and she would have to leave the truck for 2 weeks and it would cost $250 to repair. I did a quick search after getting off the phone and found that a common problem for the 97’s, which is analog, is the worm gear that attaches to the motor that drives the odometer. Is this accurate? I can order the worm gear online for $25. I’m fairly handy and feel that I could replace this part if that is indeed the problem. What are y’alls thoughts on this problem? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a Good reason to go Visit your Mom!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 PM
I agree Apittslife, any reason is a good reason to visit your mom! Have you had any experience with this particular problem?

Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Not with a Ford, But My Old-BMW has a bad Odometer & the Fix is the same as your 97 F150. A new set of gears will fix it.
I just have Not done the fix, as I do not care about the mileage as I have no plans on selling the car.

Quick Reply: 97 Odometer not working