1997 - 2003 F-150

Sputtering, jerking and then no power /rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sputtering, jerking and then no power /rpm

2001, v6, 5 speed f150 XL 180,000 miles. I originally purchased this truck to teach my 15 year old to drive a stick, manditory for all of my kids before they get thier first car, and to use around as a second vehicle and truck when ever I needed one. It originally sat for a year with periodic starting to move around a couple time a month by the previous owner, a friend of mine who bought it for similar usage .. My first trip after a few drives around town was approx 100 to get everything lubricated again and after oil change, tune up etc., it was driving as smooth and a glove to good to last I guess, as we were driving down the hwy at 75 the truck appeared to loose all power and jerked but emmediately picked back up. Of course I turn around and headed home with no excelleration at times, jerking if I gave hard excelleration and torque so I kepted it as light on the pedals as possible making it back home. I turned the truck off for about an hour and went and grabbed a fuel filter and replaced it. The truck worked great, well I thought it did for about 50 miles of short drives and I noticed if I would shut it down when it jerked and sputtered with loss of power, give it a little time, and it would run fine after that . Untill the other day. it lost all power, sputtering to stall out as if I let off the gas pedal, so working the gas pedal again I managed to get it home and omce again, ran great in the am. I had not drove it in about a 4 days and once I started it, it had no power at all. I managed to go approx 2 blocks and it wouldn't move. It shut off, after a while I managed to get it started and the power up enough to get it back home. Changing out the fule filter again, this time its still has no power, no rmp range at all. would this be the fuel pump? PMC? anyone else experience this? jchervinskis@gmail.com

Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
First off, I'm guessing English isn't your primary language. Your post was difficult for me to read, so sorry if I ask questions you answered in your post.

It could be a fuel pump, but it could be many things. Did you ever get a check engine light? Fuel filters generally don't start off good and then suddenly clog and then work again, so I would avoid buying a 3rd fuel filter.

You stated that a tune up was done. Can you elaborate? Was the MAF cleaned? Plugs? Wires? (not sure if the V6 has wires), Air filter? Coolant flush? Did you degrease the engine by any chance?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Sounds like a bad misfire. Can't really help much more without some trouble codes or service history.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Sorry Guys, attempting to blog in between working. and yes , English is my primary language but the rush to explain was the cause to not check grammar or spelling and I apologise. Big Brother is looking over my shoulder you could say.... Lets clarify everything. The truck drove great for the first 100 miles after the oil change,oil, filter and tune up which consisted of plugs,wires, gas treatment, air filter. front end lube, tranny gear box fluid change, No other items were changed at that time. The "stall" actually originally occured on the hwy at a speed of 75 mph after approx 100 miles. I hit an expantion joint on a bridge on the hwy really hard , shaking the truck and the stall/loss of power was emmediate. It lead me to believe maybe something loosened in the gas tank or under the hood. I checked all connections under the hood.. Once I turned off the truck, it sat for a while and drove great until a "load " was put on the engine such as A/C. then the loss of power returned and so did the stall /pick up. kinda felt like you turned off the truck to turn it back on giving me a jerkey feeling in the drive. Now as I drove slow and light on the throttle, it would run but if any presure was placed on the throttle. it would then shut down and come back on. Now this was spiratic for the next month with some driving being perfect for any distance even another 100 mile round trip one day. Then the next day, back to same original issue. I noticed it originally happened at low fuel in tank only and would keep the tank full and no issues. But the other day, it appears to be starving for fuel and no throttle pressure responce and no power or torque at all. I cant even get it to move 10ft in first gear at this time. I have had no lights come on the dash, no codes on odometer. I hope this was a better and shorter explainationof my issues

Old 05-29-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
so there's a chance there is a code (yes you can have a code without a CEL illumination)

Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, hope I didn't insult you about your primary language. None was intended. I'm not sure what to suggest here. I'd definitely check for codes as a start though.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Without the codes it is hard to tell. To me it sounds like it could be a bad coil. But the fuel system should be checked also.

Do a fuel pressure test on it and post up the results.

When you first turn on the key does the CEL light up? Could have a code and a burned out bulb. Just for S&G try pulling the codes.

What plugs did you use? Wrong plugs will give you fits too.

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 AM
A bad coil would cause the jerking possibly but not he loss of power and RPM correct? There are no codes showing on he dash so ill invest in having someone run diagnostics on it and get back to everyone.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
wrong, a misfire causes a loss of power

Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You don't have to pay to retrieve codes - in all states except California most auto parts stores will do it free.

You could have some crap in the gas tank that's intermittently plugging up the sock filter on the pickup. A fuel pressure test may help check this - most parts stores have fuel pressure gauges in their tool loaner kits, and there's a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to connect it.

I'd consider replacing the coil pack - it may be cracked and intermittently crapping out.

Quick Reply: Sputtering, jerking and then no power /rpm