1997 - 2003 F-150

going on a trip from west texas to north colorado (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going on a trip from west texas to north colorado (maybe)

I might be going on a trip in late september, I just wanted to know wat I should do to my truck to get it ready for a long trip. or if it can even make it that far.

I have a 1997 super cab 4.6 auto with 263,000 + miles on the engine.

I know i would have to:

1) oil change
2)transmission filter
3)clean air filter
4)flush radiator- how much does it cost? never had one. I tried to do it but failed
5) check tires

what else? or can i even take my truck, Id really like to take my truck rather than my sisters mitsubishi eclipse. plus mine has cruise control and a working stereo

Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Not a bad list to start from. around here a radiatior flush runs right around 40 bucks, but that includes all new fluid, the flushing agent, and the labor of the job.

Are you two or four wheel drive? A good thing to check into would be your differential fluid, depending on when it was done last, I would go ahead and change it. If it was done recently, id check for leaks and double check the fluid level.

Then your tire wear, and pressure is next on the list. as well as your alignment

also brake fluid, and power steering fluid should be checked and topped off.

Good luck and enjoy driving your Ford on a long road trip!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The best thing to do is take it to a qualified and honest shop and have them give it a full inspection. If you have been keeping up with recommended maintenance, there shouldn't be much that needs to be done unless problems come to light in the inspection. If all you do is drive it and change the oil and ignore other periodic maintenance items, that may be a different story.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM
its a two wheel drive. as of right now the engine is running ok. but i dont have my muffler on. it was bolted on and the sleeve broke sum how. so no muffler, would that make any difference just wondering.

and also my a/c isnt working. I think it might just be the ac compressor. when i turn the ac on, the compressor doesnt sound like it turns on, it blows hot air and strong, and it has freon in the system. any suggestions

Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Check the a/c fuse under dash. With that many miles it may very well be dying. It'll just be louder w/o the muffler

Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 AM
This may sound stupid, but for my trips between Mpls and Dallas, I always detail the windshield (inside and out) and put rain-x on, and install new wipers. There are some areas on that drive that are pitch black at night, and if it rains it can be really difficult to see. A super clean windshiled and Rain-x really helped on one such trip.

Quick Reply: going on a trip from west texas to north colorado (maybe)