1997 - 2003 F-150

Rear leaf spring squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear leaf spring squeak?

Hey guys I have a terrible squeak coming from my rear springs. The sound is deff. Coming from the spring eyes and or bushings. Is there any way to eliminate the sqeak without removing the springs, and if removal is neccasary how should I go about fixing the problem? Also if I remove the springs can I reuse my u bolts for the rear end or replace them?I've heard replacement is not neccesary but I've also heard that it's not safe to reuse them? Any advice is appreciated and btw I tried wd40 and pb blaster bt that just doesn't work the only time the squek quits is when the springs get wet in rain or after washing the truck, just thought I'd throw throw that out there.... Thank you in advance, muddy

Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
take a floor jack and jack your truck up from the trailer hitch, then loosen the bolts on the ends of the springs and put marine grease in them, then soak the rest in pb blaster, it will take a little while to work in but i finally have eliminated the squeeking, now i just need brakes haha

Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You need new spring spacers. Once they wear out, they squeak like crazy. I made my own, but you can get them at the dealership, cheap..

Old 04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
You need new spring spacers. Once they wear out, they squeak like crazy. I made my own, but you can get them at the dealership, cheap..
Are you refering to the little plastic discs? If so i may need to do those on mine, i know at least one is missing.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf150farmer
Are you refering to the little plastic discs? If so i may need to do those on mine, i know at least one is missing.
Yea, there's usually use a hole in the spring, like a dowel hole. They might be called inserts, I can't remember.

Quick Reply: Rear leaf spring squeak?