1997 - 2003 F-150

5.4 32V swap started this weekend!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 32V swap started this weekend!!!

Well I took the plunge this weekend and purchased my donor navigator. Story says that the motor only has 60k on it but no proof. I can tell it has been swapped by the difference in how clean it was compared to the rest of the drive train.

Name:  FB_IMG_1476483061402_zps1muh5kqg.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  140.0 KB

I have been trying to get everything in order for a 5.4 swap for some time and was going to go 2V but came across this 4V for a good deal so im going to give to a whirl. My biggest concern going into it was the lack of aftermarket parts, more or less headers were my big concern.

I found a few surprises though after i got it in the shop and started ripping into it. Went to drain the radiator and the drain valve was plugged. Started digging into it and found a rust colored sand..... STOP LEAK and not just a little bit. IT was caked in there so much i couldn't get drain to even work so I just dropped the lower hose. That worries me a lot. The radiator looks like it might have had a leak as there was a ton of dirt caked to just one area in the fins. But who knows what that looks like inside the block.

Also I came across my first snag in the electrical department. I found a valve on top of the intake manifold. Im assuming it is a manifold runner control valve but cant confirm. It looks like a big 3in X 3in paddle diverter moving air from one side of the intake to the other. I was worried about this as i found one reference to it in all my research but couldn't find it anywhere else and no reference to solving the issue and i have found several mustangs running this motor with their wiring harness.

Name:  20161014_153011_zps6zh7gvtx.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  205.7 KB

My plan was to run my harness and make brackets to support my coil packs. Then run the 96-98 cobra valve covers and the matching plug wires. But this valve has me questioning if i need to make the PCM and harness for the navigator work on my truck. I came across a mustang that did what i was planning and that is where i have hatched a lot of my ideas. But he didn't give any reference to the runner. Can it just be deleted?

Any ideas?

Im sure i will run across more stuff that im not sure about.... Hoping mot much though. I have pulled 8 or 10 4.6 or 5.4 2v's but never messed with the 4V. Shouldn't be to much different once I get down into her.

Here some info on the receiving truck. 97 4x4 4.6 with the 5spd. Someone swapped out hte 3.55 gears for 4.10's and it makes for one fun truck to 45mph and then not so much after that. I know the trans wont last to long once i get the 5.4 in so i have already purchased a ZF6 and that will go in after i get everything done up top.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:54 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You can delete the IMRC, but you will lose low end torque. From what I can find, you can actuate it with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COOOG0

Set it to about 3500 rpm.

Quick Reply: 5.4 32V swap started this weekend!!!