1997 - 2003 F-150

Slider Fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
epoxy those cracks and sand them smooth, will be water tight with minimal effort

Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe try and find a non slider window, I have a 97 with one and has never leaked a drop also its tougher to break into and you can see through your rearview better. Just a thought.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Sorry for the year later revive, but I have been thinking of doing the same thing If i could find the materials, money, and time.

Originally Posted by fairlaner
While I'm certainly not going to give up without a good fight, I'm not real hopeful I'll find a permanent solution ( I spent a hour reading threads from people who tried all kinds of things with little success).
Did you ever figure out how to fix the leaking window frame? If I was to look into this would you recommend looking for a 03 or does it not matter, Did you just have rare bad luck with that window or was it the wrong variation for your truck??

Originally Posted by kyl_e27
Maybe try and find a non slider window, I have a 97 with one and has never leaked a drop also its tougher to break into and you can see through your rearview better. Just a thought.
He was trying to get rid of his solid window for a slider, Don't know if you noticed or not.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Ace_Boy-I know the 97's and 98's were common for leaks, and I think for a couple more years after that but I cant say 100% for sure. One of the guys on here will chime in soon I am sure.

As far as materials.. I just went to NAPA and got a window sealent kit (somewhere around the $20 range), and a couple hours to pull my window our and reseal it. Actually was a little longer because I painted the rear window trim piece, but had I stayed on task it would have been around 2 hours if I had to guess.

Good luck to ya man!

-MColford

Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace_boy2099
Did you ever figure out how to fix the leaking window frame? If I was to look into this would you recommend looking for a 03 or does it not matter, Did you just have rare bad luck with that window or was it the wrong variation for your truck??
I haven't had a chance to mess w/ the window yet. The leak is manageable, as it just doesn't rain much where I live. It's on my "to do when I get some damn free time" list. I really want to keep this window as it's a '97 w/ the brown tint which looks real nice w/ my tan truck/tan interior.

This is what I remember about the research I did:

The sliders which originally came on the '97-'02 +/- F-150's developed cracks in the frames (possibly from repeated minor flexing of the cab) which caused leaks which are difficult to repair. Some trucks also had leaks where the frame mounted to the cab, which is easy to repair (there are several how-to's on this). In '03 +/-, Ford came out w/ a redesigned slider for the '97-'03 trucks, and would replace the original sliders if customers complained.

The way to tell the windows apart is that the old type has the edge of the glass exposed (see pic below), while the new type has a small plastic frame wrapped around the edge of the glass. If you look at a few '97-'03 F-150's, you'll see the difference right away.

If you want a slider, get the new type (most of the sliders I see on ebay are the new type). They are easy to install ... just get some 3M 3/8" x 15' Window-weld Ribbon Seal (approx $15 at any auto parts store), and place it on the window frame following the marks on the frame. There are several good how-to's on replacing the back window.

Old-type Slider (lower left corner of glass pictured)

New-type Slider

Last edited by fairlaner; 10-06-2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add pic of new type slider
Old 10-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
5 year update ....

I finally decided to do something about replacing this slider, as the frame had developed numerous large (like see daylight through them large) cracks. While searching for a new slider I came across a window I didn't know existed ... a "new" style slider with the '97 Bronze tint. I paid waaaay too much for it, but I now have a leak free slider with the tint I wanted.

As I understand Carlite part numbers ...

DB09638YPY
D Domestic
B Back
09638 Part Number
YP Privacy Tint could also be GT for Solar Tint
Y Attachments Yes don't know what this means

09638YPY is the '97 Bronze tint and is listed as obsolete, to be replaced with 09639YPY, which is the standard gray tint.

Probably more than anyone would ever want to know about '97-'03 Sliders ...

Carlite part numbers ... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...04615367,d.cGU

Last edited by fairlaner; 10-06-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks great! I would like to have one in mine.

Quick Reply: Slider Fail