1997 - 2003 F-150

Power Windows (Help) 98 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Windows (Help) 98 F-150

I'm having a problem with my power windows and I'm wondering if there is a fuse for them?
I've looked through the book and all I can find related to them is the (one touch down relay). My driver side window hasn't moved since I bought it and I'm finally getting her finished up and back on the road and now so I'm trying to get this all figured out. The Driver side switch as of yesterday was activating the relay. Now It doesn't click and the passenger side window won't roll back up from either switch. I've tried swapping the switches out of my 2000 with no luck there either but my switches from my 98 work on the 2000 so I've ruled out. I'm just having a hard time believing I have two bad window motors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Nic

Old 06-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There is a fuse for power windows. Last year I was having a problem with the driver side window binding up from wear & tear and grime build up and it blew a fuse. I pulled my "in truck Ford manual" out and it listed a fuse for the power windows. If you can't get an answer on which fuse it is, I will pull my manual out and find out which one it is. I also had an intermitten problem with the window not wanting to go up/down. I tore the inside door panel off and cleaned the track really well and used a water resistant grease on the track and the motor gear.
I also took apart the switch and used emery sand-paper and cleaned the contacts off until they were shiney again.(this fixed the intermitten window operating problem).
I had so much fun on the drivers side, I did the passanger side. I havn't had a problem with them since.

Last edited by tjk_in_cny; 06-10-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: info
Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Power windows are protected by CB601 in the underhood power box. This is a circuit breaker.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't have any circuit breakers that I know of in my 1998.
Sorry for the confusion, I pulled my manual out and did the following.....
When I had my problem with the blown fuse, the "in truck Ford manual" wasn't clear on the power windows so I referenced my Haynes manual.
Under the hood you have a fuse / relay box and #7 (15 amp) ties into the power window circuit and fuse #18 in the truck fuse / relay panel ties into the power window circuit.
Note that, You have alot of other functions that also tie into these fuses as well.
Also, inside your truck...... fuse/relay box, you have a relay in position #4 that is called a "one touch down relay" that directly feeds to your power windows.
I can not remember what fuse I changed to get my power windows back but I do remember changing a fuse. I know I didn't have to change the relay. Good luck with the problem.

Last edited by tjk_in_cny; 06-11-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: info
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
That's possible - I was going by the 2003 manual, no fuse, just that circuit breaker and the one touch down relay.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by glc
That's possible - I was going by the 2003 manual, no fuse, just that circuit breaker and the one touch down relay.

Ye, the manual I use is a Haynes manual that covers 1997-2003.
That manual has saved me multiple headaches and has helped out quite a few other people.

Quick Reply: Power Windows (Help) 98 F-150