My lil 4.6L working VERY hard well it should have been..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i moved a 15,000 lbs trailer abotu 20 feet my truck didnt like that to much at all.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I just read this thread from start to now and I love it. I don't know why people have to flame you for using your truck I think most people forgot what trucks are meant for.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby FX4
I just read this thread from start to now and I love it. I don't know why people have to flame you for using your truck I think most people forgot what trucks are meant for.
Thank you!

i dont do it so i show how retarted i am i do it bc well 9/10 my truck is the only one running. and has a bed.

Yeah ull find that about 99.5% of the trucks on here are pavment queens that dont get used for anything 90% of them have prob never even been in 4x4. ha wish i had some vids of places my 2wd has gone haha

Thanks again thoe

Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
hmm..I don't haul anything with my truck other then some empty pallets now and then...regardless....My 5.4 doesn't satisfy me empty, I can't imagine 2500lbs, haha especially in a 4.6

Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 PM
with my new tuner my lil 4.6 barks into 2nd

Old 01-29-2010, 12:53 PM

I read the 1st page, then skipped to the end.
I agree, if you have a truck, take advantage of it.
Being a home owner, I need a truck for Home Depot and trips for landscaping supplies.
Originally, one yard of loom had the back dragging low, too.
But then I installed some Timbrens in the rear with a set of C rated Coopers.
No more sag, even with one yard of stone.
No major hills in my area, either, so I didn't kill the brakes.
I bought a "loadhandler', it works great with loom and bark mulch.
But not with stone.

I do not think I'd drop a pallet of those landscaping blocks in my bed.
Besides being concerned for the truck, that is a LOT of unloading!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 AM
the reason is because he is far more than overloading his truck to the point that it is extremely unsafe

I totally agree with you to a point, if it is THAT unsafe...it is just plain stupid

Old 01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Nhford. we had a skid loader it made life easy ha

Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
Nhford. we had a skid loader it made life easy ha
Skid loader?? Very nice.
I wish I lived closer, I could use your help (including that skid loader) around my yard.
Glad to hear you had some help with that end of things.
Those blocks get heavy very quickly.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 AM
ya they do we had to hand stack them on the pallets. 10 pallets in all....blah that sucked

Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by shifty_85
that load didnt need to be tied down it wasnt going anywre i got one of those rubber mats that stop stuff from moving around. the tires didnt look too bad. im not on bump stops im about a 1/4 inch from them. and the front tires never left the ground....you guys cant get enogh of flaming shifty on this fourm can ya?
I've hauled 3,000 lbs on my old '77 F150 4x4 a few times, once 3200 pounds of stone, usually no further than 5 - 10 miles. I've hauled a ton many times, most often wood pellets by the pallet, sometimes 35-40 miles ... or hand loaded with a heavy several hundred pound fibreglass shell that prevented loading a pallet on and scooting it forward. You could tell it was working, I'm all about just using part throttle and being patient, using lower gears on grades.

Haven't hauled heavy in my '07 yet.

What I would suggest with the kind of load you have is load it as far forward as possible, would drive better and give some room on those bumpstops.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 AM
have to try that the next time i have somthing thats crazy heavy. i always thought right over the axle is the best place to put weght.

77 F-150s were trucks i mean TRUCKS im sure it didnt mind that 3K to much. my lil 4.6 was dieing with 6000. when i had 2,300 it didnt do to bad but you knew it was back there.

what motor did you have in the 77? 400M?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unbelievable! I don't have a problem working a truck; heck, I bought mine to pull a travel trailer. But overloading it is not only shortening it's life, it's dangerous to you and anyone else sharing the road with you.

Adding heavier springs is not the answer. You will still be overloading the rear end and frame. Fishplating or boxing the frame at the rear still won't keep you from lunching the rear end and the frame could still fail where the reinforcements end. If you have to haul such heavy loads, get a trailer that can handle the weight (just don't exceed the truck's towing capacity) or get a bigger truck.

That said, the pictures of your jacked up front end reminds me of the '63 F300 (yes, F300, not F350) crew cab I once had. The longest wheelbase for 1 ton trucks back then was 132". Put a crew cab on that chassis and the only way to put a bed on that thing was to chop the first 2 feet off an 8.5' bed (I'm not even sure this was a factory rig). That put most of the bed behind the axle. Anything more than 500 lb spread across the bed started to pull weight off the front end. About 1k was all I could put in it (unless the weight was concentrated at the front of the bed) and still be able to control it at double nickel (shows you how far back that went; for you kids too young to remember double nickel, that was the derisive term we had for the mandatory 55 MPH speed limit initiated back in mid seventies). Even then, it felt like I was driving on ice (in June in Phoenix?). And this was in a truck rated for far more than that (it was registered at 9800 lb GVW to avoid higher plate fees but the actual rating was higher).

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 05-30-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
With today's technology truck frames are lighter and stronger than they were back in the 70's. That said, the demographics have changed too. In the 70's one purchased a pickup mostly as a work/utility vehicle. Break the truck and you are out of work. Warranties were not what they are today. No free rides there.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald
Unbelievable! I don't have a problem working a truck; heck, I bought mine to pull a travel trailer. But overloading it is not only shortening it's life, it's dangerous to you and anyone else sharing the road with you.

Adding heavier springs is not the answer. You will still be overloading the rear end and frame. Fishplating or boxing the frame at the rear still won't keep you from lunching the rear end and the frame could still fail where the reinforcements end. If you have to haul such heavy loads, get a trailer that can handle the weight (just don't exceed the truck's towing capacity) or get a bigger truck.

That said, the pictures of your jacked up front end reminds me of the '63 F300 (yes, F300, not F350) crew cab I once had. The longest wheelbase for 1 ton trucks back then was 132". Put a crew cab on that chassis and the only way to put a bed on that thing was to chop the first 2 feet off an 8.5' bed (I'm not even sure this was a factory rig). That put most of the bed behind the axle. Anything more than 500 lb spread across the bed started to pull weight off the front end. About 1k was all I could put in it (unless the weight was concentrated at the front of the bed) and still be able to control it at double nickel (shows you how far back that went; for you kids too young to remember double nickel, that was the derisive term we had for the mandatory 55 MPH speed limit initiated back in mid seventies). Even then, it felt like I was driving on ice (in June in Phoenix?). And this was in a truck rated for far more than that (it was registered at 9800 lb GVW to avoid higher plate fees but the actual rating was higher).
i know its dangerous that why we didnt go over 10 MPH when i had the really heavy load. i could still steer and stop just had to leave plenty of room.

truck still runs and drives fine even after all this. gotta love the Ford truck

havnt put much weght back there latey i had 2 4 wheelers but thats about it my truck didnt seem to care about those.

Quick Reply: My lil 4.6L working VERY hard well it should have been..