BFG AT or Goodyear MT/R

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BFG AT or Goodyear MT/R

I think I've decided to go with a 285/70R17 rather than the 33x12.50 or 305/70. These sizes are recommended for at least an 8.5" wide rim so I think it's pushing it to put them on a 7.5" rim. Anyway, these are about the only two companies I found that make this size. Which one would be the "better" tire as far as mileage, wear, handling, etc.? Any opinions appreciated, thanks!!!

BTW, WHERE CAN I GET THEM THAT WON'T CHARGE ME $900!?!?

Old 09-12-2002, 09:56 AM
Well, I just checked reviews on tirerack.com and it doesn't look good for the MT/R's. Who else makes a 285/70R17?

-AR

Old 09-12-2002, 10:27 PM
Jackal,

I think you need to compare apples to apples. You are trying to compare an AT to a mud tire. No worries though.

I have owned several sets of bfg at's and am on my first set of mt/r's. I read through the 67 reviews on tirerack also, and thought the mt/r reviews were pretty favorable. I have a review I put on there around a year ago (I think) and I actually rated the tire lower than many. Here's the kicker, I have said many times that the mt/r is, without a doubt, the best compromise tire I've ever owned. And there have been many mud tires around our farms and houses for many years. I will definitely purchase these tires again. I have put them through every off-road situation I could find and have never been dissatisfied. My experience has been mainly mud. I also have close to 25,000 on them and am planning on another 15,000, at least.

I like the bfg AT fine. I just don't think they can hold a candle to the mt/r in a off-road situation. On-road I have not been surprised by the mt/r. It is a quiet and even wearing tire with good traction.

It all comes down to what you will be doing with your tires. If I didn't see deep mud fairly often I would consider the bfg's. I always had pretty decent traction and good wear from them. If you're going to be on the street a lot look closely at the bfg.

I know this is a tough decision. Good luck, Rich.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:39 AM
you can try the tirerack. I think they have the BFG T/A KO in that size. They may not show it on there site, but you can call them, and they are very helpful. Or try 1010tires.com. They really have some low prices.

Quick Reply: BFG AT or Goodyear MT/R