Bad Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Bad Rotors

I have a 2001 Ford F150 (Off Road) with 34,500 miles on it that is now going on it's second set of rotors. The Ford folks tell me this is normal on some vehicles and I will just have to service the rotors roughly every 12 to 15 thousand miles. I do alot of highway driving (very little city) and would consider myself to be a slight bit harder on stopping than normal but not anywhere near excessive or power-braking. I would like to know if anyone out there has experienced the same problems as I am having, especially on the 2001 trucks. I absolutley cannot believe that this is normal on some vehicles and am pretty sure I am getting the run around from these guys. Also there is a constant "squeaking" that occurs during slower driving and is very noticeable. I have reported this problem to the dealership on four previous occasions and each time they tell me they cannot find anything or even hear anything yet it is continous when I drive it. The sqeak disappears when the brakes are applied. Is there some connection between this and the rotors? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-10-2002, 07:48 PM
How are the rotors going bad? Do they pulsate?

-Jon

Old 09-11-2002, 09:28 AM
The rotors are warping out of tolerance. The first set, around 17,000 miles was replaced and then as of yesterday they turned them on the truck running out .001 to remove the warp (this is at 34,700 miles). The truck starts showing problems when braking by minor front end vibrations which over a short time gets progressively worse until it feels like the front end is going to eventually vibrate apart. It is very noticeable at speeds at or above 50 mph. I feel no pulsation as would usually be associated with warped rotors. They checked the rear brakes and told be they are good but cannot give me any reasonable explination as to why the fronts keep failing. They also cannot find the "squeaking" but it will rear it's ugly head again soon and I will drive to the dealership and give them a first hand listen. I was told by the service manager that there was a part change to the rotors and calipers on the 2001 models but they would not order and replace my present set with the different ones.

Old 09-16-2002, 10:07 PM
Go get your rotors from somewhere else.

Old 10-11-2002, 02:14 AM
Hey guys, I have a 98 supercab with 100Kmiles. When I bought my truck new, within the first 36K my dealer replaced the rotors 2X, since then I replaced my rotors 2X and 2X getting both sets turned, and I'm due again. The vibes start at about 10K-12k miles and progressively get worse.

I used Wagner and Raybestos rotors. I get good pad life but the rotors don't stay true.?????? I don't get it. I don't do heavy towing or braking, just normal highway driving. The rear drums are fine, yes, the have been checked.

Any Ideas?

98 F150 4.6 Supercab Flairside
3.55 traction lock
K&N GenII intake
Flowmaster scavenger Y behind cats
Flowmaster 3"BigblockII muffler
3" tail pipe
Superchip

Last edited by HarleyD1; 10-11-2002 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:48 PM
Hopefully, I will get my rotors replaced with my new Powerslot rotors this weekend....if I do get them installed I will let you know my impressions of the new rotors over the old stock OEM Ford rotors. BTW, I have had mine turned twice and getting the vibes again. Ford is known for having not so great rotors.

Old 10-12-2002, 11:19 AM
they warp mostly because of improper lug nut installation. also a lot of people i have talked to have a caliper that is "slow" so when you have the wheel off it slides back and forth fine but when you brake it is slow to return so there is a lot of heat build up.

you can feel it when you brake at high speed whe the rotors are "pulsating really badly let off the brake pedal all the way you will feel the pulsation for a few more seconds. that means you have a Slow or Stuck caliper

In my opinion I would not buy slotted or cross drilled rotors unless you replace your caliper because they can not be turned to be fixed.

if the brakes squeak then stop when you push the pedal it usually means your wear sensor is rubbing the rotor. Remember wear sensors ONLY make noise when the brakes are NOT being applied.

good luck-

Old 10-12-2002, 12:21 PM
hcmq, thanks for the info. I can rule out the lug nuts though, they are torqued to 100lbfts in proper order. I learned that a long time ago.

Old 10-13-2002, 02:57 PM
brakes

the prob i have with my 98xlt 4.2l is this time of year for me it is ice i have reg all. wheels i get vib if the wife drive's to work and runs through pudles that over night freeze next day i get vib's until it warm's this is my second winter with this truck nice'est one me and fordcredit have had yet

Old 10-18-2002, 04:04 PM
I have a 2000 4X4 and have the same problems with my rotors. I have not come up with any solutions yet. The last set I put on were Raybestos, they warped within about 5K miles.

Jamey.

Old 10-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Rotors

I finally got our local Ford dealership to replace the front pads and turn the rotors again. They found that the queaking/rubbing noise I had continuasly complained about was from a high spot on the outboard (?) pad causing a hot spot. I can't say with all certainty that this contributed directly to the warping rotors but definately question it. I have about 1000 miles since this fix and am awaiting the long term results. I do have a gut feeling I will be bringing it back again to have the rotors either replaced or turned. Bad carma I guess. I will keep all posted.

Quick Reply: Bad Rotors