Why is Ford STILL putting tiny tires on new F150s?

Old 08-29-2002, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is Ford STILL putting tiny tires on new F150s?

Yes, I know, they have always been a little 'under tired' for my taste. I also know that when the firestone 'fiasco' first broke Ford was scrambling to get what ever size tires they could get their hands on that would be at least close to the aready to small 255/70-16s. So maybe I cut them a break for a few months worth of production on the use uf the TINY 235/75-16s.

But now they are STILL shipping what would otherwise be great looking tough trucks with these puny little poor excuse for rubber. On a recent trip to a couple dealerships I saw lots full of trucks with them.I EVEN SAW THEM ON 4WD SUPERCAB LONG BED models!!! What a SAD site!!

I was embaressed for the salesman, for the dealership, for Ford and more important FOR all of us Ford Fans!!!

MY questions for all of you are:

1. Do you agree that these look pitiful?

2. Do you think that this is 'Hurting' the sale of new F150s due to the effect on the trucks 'Curb Appeal'?

3. Do you think that Ford is sticking with these tiny tires simply to save a couple bucks?

4. How can we get this message to Ford in a positive way?

Old 08-29-2002, 09:34 AM
I have 235/70/16s on both of my F150's, and they do the job just fine. I also get the benefit of a lighter tire which helps out fuel economy, brake life, and suspension wear and tear, and lower tire replacement costs.

Not everyone needs to have the wheel wells "stuffed". Different strokes for different folks. Besides, thats why pickups have so many different choices - so you can get what you need - not what somene else wants!

FYI - the "base" tire size has and continues to be the 235/70/16. This was NOT a change related to the Firestone issue.

Good luck finding a truck with the base tires on them around here. Everyting on the lot here is a fully loaded FX4 with all the goodies...

Old 08-29-2002, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure here but I'm going to take a stab. I believe the smaller tires allow the bumper height to be within a certain government spec. Trucks and SUV's took a lot of bad press about mauling other vehicles in crashes, due to weight, mass and height.... Again, I'm not sure of this, but over the last three to four years, I've noticed Chevy does it too.... Just look at a 2500 HD 4wd on a chevy lot, it is a sad sight...They look like skateboard wheels.

Old 08-29-2002, 10:25 AM
Yes, I do agree that these tiny tires look pitiful. Tire sizes should be proportional to the size of the vehicle and these dinky tires look sad! But, as Gopher said, different stokes for diffferent folks. Not everyone is concerned with tire size. People buy trucks for a number of reasons and tire size isn't always an issue. I do think Ford should offer another option; a variety of tire sizes when you buy the truck. That would give folks a chance to put the size of tire they want on the truck when they buy it instead of doing it as an aftermarket upgrade.

I bought a 2002 F-150 Supercab 4X4 King Ranch in December 2001. The truck came with 265/70/17s on stock 17x7.5 rims and the tire is definitely too small for the size of the truck. I do plan on upgrading the tire but for those of us that are too practical for our own good, I have a problem buying new tires until these wear out. So, for the next 2-3 years or until the tire wears out (which ever comes first), I'll ride on what I've got. If Ford had offered a tire option when I bought the truck, I'd have gone with something a little bigger. But they didn't so I'll run on what I've got.

Old 08-29-2002, 02:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry

I wish they had more choices in gear ratios!! Starting with a 3.55, not a 3.08……. I can’t believe they didn’t have a 3.73 in 1997 for the F150 (you could get it in the F250 Light Duty model). Mine came with the puny 235’s. Put on 255\70\16’s and it still looked too small. Finally went to a 265\75\16 and it’s better, but the 3.55 gears really prevent me from going any taller. I know I can just get new gears, but I shouldn’t have to. They should offer them in 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.30 and 4.56………. I would love to get a 4.30 gear set with some 285\75\16’s and 8” wide wheels…..

Old 08-29-2002, 05:29 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. Not only are the 255 70 16's too small, but the General Grabbers look terrible!! They are such a "car" tire. They don't belong on a truck. I just put 265 75 16 BFGs on my truck last month. They make it look twice as tough, and I haven't noticed a drop in performance or fuel economy. Not to mention, they GRAB the road in the rain, much unlike my old "Grabbers".

Old 08-30-2002, 01:38 AM
You are 100% correct. And as far as different strokes..nope. Some people have good taste and some have bad. I have heard more bad press on the look of the F150 as it regards the little "skate board" size wheel/tire combo then anything. They should put on real size tires and make those lame little tires an option. I'm sorry, I have been in this board a long time and normaly keep my yap shut when people give a post, "look at my new wheels and tires" and man some of them look like crap! Some people have bad taste. Different yes, because it's bad. You can say everyone has their own opinion all you want. I don't go along with that, and Ford needs to wise up. Yes it hurts sales. Bottom line..good looking is good looking and ugly is always ugly! The truck looks like crap with small tires and wheels.

Old 08-30-2002, 09:54 PM
I agree them 235's make the truck look like crap. They might look good on a Yugo, but not an F150. However my truck came with the 275-60-17 BFG's and they look awesome. To be honest it is what caught my attention to the truck. They looked perfect for the truck. My dad had always said and I agree the wheels and tires make the vehical you can make a crappy looking car/truck look good with the right wheel and tire.

I don't know if Ford will pull their head out, I mean why should they all the other brand of trucks have crappy looking tires as well.

You can always do what my dad would do. Get everything final and just before you sign the papers tell them you don't want the tires. They will look at you like WTF? then you tell them what you want as far as size and have them make a good deal on them for you since you'll be trading in the tires off the truck.

And God no don't let tires be an option from the Ford dealer up front just another opportinity for them to overcharge you on something.

Old 09-03-2002, 01:25 PM
If you don't like the small tires, then upgrade them when you order the truck! Ford does give you some options, its not like they don't give you any choices! Some folks like the stuffed wheel well look, others don't. Just because your truck fits your tastes doesn't mean it fits everyone elses.

I always chuckle when I let people know I get over 20 mpg on a regular basis. The responses are ususally yeah, right. My trucks are set up the way the are to fit my driving needs - which includes decent fuel mileage the larger tires won't ever let me get. You may not like the looks, but they work just fine for my needs.

Oh, and all of this talk about the tires not being adequate for the job is bunk too. Last I checked my truck was rated to handle 6200 lbs. 4 235/70/16's at 1984lbs each is 7926 lbs, well over the weight rating of the truck.

Old 09-03-2002, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I used to get 20 mpg, too... then I traded in my Ranger... Do some people really buy full size trucks with fuel economy on their minds?

Old 09-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Fuel economy is not THE concern, but it is A concern. It shouldn't be a surprise to find a fullsize truck that gets over 20 mpg - almost all of the current chevy 1/2 ton engines will and can do it regularly. Ford is next in line and don't even get me started on the dodges fuel mileage...

Old 09-04-2002, 05:07 PM
2 things......profit and cafe standards. They pay less for a smaller tire and it get slightly better fuel milage.

For example: Tire rack has BFG long trails 255/70/16 for $113 and GY wranglers ST 235/75/16 for $94. Thats $19 difference. Lets assume Ford can get 235's $5 cheaper than the 255's. At 300K trucks a year that's $1.5 million. It's probably much higher than that if you add up light duty, heavy duty, explorer, expedition and ranger.
If you don't think Ford isn't trying to squeeze every nickel of profit out of each vehicle then do some reading on www.blueovalnews.com

The cafe standard is probably more important to them than the profit.

Old 09-13-2002, 10:14 AM
Some people have wives that wear skirts, too...

My truck (slightly used) came with the smaller wheels and tires. Sure, it doesn't look the best - but there are trade offs. Not the least of which is that I can take my wife out for an evening dressed up, and she'll be able to get in and out without a step ladder. This has certain "unmeasureable returns" when we get home.

What pisses me off the most is that when I DO decide to step up to a bigger tire (and tube step) - I have to pay the dealer $100 to reprogram my computer. What a crock of *****. Tell me they couldn't build that kind of thing into a cheap-o set of DIP switches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is Ford STILL putting tiny tires on new F150s?