Falkens

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Falkens

Shopping for new tires for my recently bought 18" lightning wheels and was looking for "feedback" from the group if anyone has bought Falkens and what they thought about them. Looks like I can get Falken 285-60-18 for about $130-135.00 a piece. Bridgestone duellers are about $150.00 and the Michilin Pilots are closer to $200.00 each. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. They are going on a 2001 SuperCrew.

thanks

Old 07-24-2002, 11:21 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have only had mine on for a week but they seem to be very good tires. This is the first time I have used Falken tires. Seems they are trying to provide a quality tire for a decent price. Mine are the performance type, here is what they look like on my truck in the 17 inch size.
You can see the size in my signature.
Good luck...

Last edited by WLF; 07-26-2002 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Mark

Had mine for about 15,000 miles now. They are reallly quiet and grip very well. No complaints so far and would probably go with the same set next time. The price you quoted is not bad either. Got mine for 140 each.

One suggestion, I have the L rims on my screw also (see pic below) and I have the 285-60-18. Next time I think I am going with the 285-55-16. Not much difference but when you turn the wheels all the way there is a slight (and I mean slight) rubbing the fender well.

Old 07-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Victoria tire has Falken's for $133
http://www.victoriatire.com/t_search.html

Take a look at Kumho ECSTA STX. It's a good looking performance tire. I don't know anything about it though, other than Korean made. I spent all of 2000 in Korea, they are improving in thier overall quality. Tire rack has 285/60/18 for $107.

Old 07-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Mark-441 - funny, I was on here to see what others were putting on their trucks - time to replace my Falkens - 51K miles!!!! I have absolutely loved these tires - great wet traction up until about 5K ago - now if I punch it on a wet street, the truck is all over the place. I have had many other brands of tires (on other vehicles) and by far these have been the best. My problem is they are very hard to find in our area. I originally got mine from eBay with the wheels. Had to replace one about 20K ago, and it was a hassle to find a local dealer that could order them. Paid $159 installed for the one.

GA Eagle - since you have bought yours more recent than I have, where were you able to find these in the ATL?? Also, I was thinking of going down in size to get a lower profile look - you think a 55-series would accomplish this?? I have been looking at going to a 265-60-18, however I am afraid that it will increase the tire well space because this size is closer to the diameter of the factory 17-inch wheels and tires that I had. And unfortunately I still have not been able to talk the wife into letting me lower it!!! But if I can do a 285-55-18, that would work for me.

Old 07-26-2002, 11:37 AM
OK - went to Falken's website - they do not offer a 285-55-18 in the STZ-01. Only 265-60 and 285-60 in 18's. Also, Sears carries the Falken tires - man I hate to go there to have them do it - maybe I can just buy them from there and have someone else install them - I only say this because I worked for Sears for 12 years and know how the automotive department is.

GA Eagle - again, if you know of another local dealer, please let me know.

Old 07-26-2002, 11:51 AM
WLF
Lightningcrew,
Looks like you and GA Southern Eagle have about the same set-up (both FINE LOOKING TRUCKS by the way) and the tires look real good on his truck. Mind what he is saying about the rubbing, my last set of tires rubbed just a little and it made me NUTS.
That is the main reason I went with this new wheel. The offset is and inch further out (mine was rubbing on my larger front sway bar).
BTW, I am running the Falken Ziex and they have so far been very good tires. They are directional, speed rated and today on the way in it was raining like hell and no problems at all. They also are very attractive on the sidewall.

Last edited by WLF; 07-26-2002 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:00 PM
Lightningcrew,

I went to the local Firestone place in Acworth and he found me a set from a tire guy in Woodstock. He told me they most places can get any set of tires they do not have the room to keep them in stock. Sears is probably the same way. They will more than likely have to order them. I also got the guy to price match mine from the cheapest price I could find on the internet.
Sorry I thought they came in a 55 series. The only reason I want ot go with a 55 series vs a 60 is my tires rub teh inside fender well just a little and I think a 55 would be smaller to clear the rubbing but would not look noticably smaller.
Also I htink your truck looks great. Don't lower it just get a set of grd effects like I got and that will make it look low enough. Cheaper that a drop kit also and no loss in that nice a comfy ride.

Hope I have helped some.

Old 07-26-2002, 12:20 PM
GA Eagle - hey man, 'preciate it. I am headed to Goodyear today to get rear brakes put on, so I will find out if they can still order the Falkens and how much. Also, I did check out the Kumho tires - not bad for $107 ea. Don't know much about them, though. I am going to call Butler Tire today (they are a local dealer for these) to see what they think of them - Butler carries some nice stuff, so I am thinking they must think pretty good of them to carry 'em. I'll keep yall updated.

Old 07-27-2002, 12:58 AM
Lightbulb falkens

Hello LightningCrew...
Check out the following link on ebay. This is the second time i've seen these listed. First time they must not have gotten any takers. Let me know what you think of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1846888574

or to compare sizes & prices

http://store.yahoo.com/wheelsmarket/falken.html

Happy Hunting

mark

Old 07-29-2002, 08:39 AM
Mark - actually I had seen those on eBay. I have the STZ01's which are unidirectional and I believe a little more high performance than those, but I was really considering them. However, I see that they have sold. My Goodyear dealer said their price on the Falkens (STZ01) were about $160/ piece, not including install. This is high, but they said if I find a lower price that they will match it. Found a website where they were $140/ piece with free shipping, so I might throw that price at them.

Have not had a chance to check out the Kumhos.

Old 07-29-2002, 10:24 AM
LightningCrew

Hi...
Check out the Victoria tire site.
http://www.victoriatire.com/t_mfg_se...en&source=goto

The 04 falkens appear to be a newer version than the 01's. They sell them 01's for $133.00 and the 04's for $150.00. Must be some reason. Take a look and see what you think.
Could you send me the website of the place that offered free shipping?

thanks

Mark

Old 07-29-2002, 11:09 AM
www.discounttiredirect.com

Sorry, they are $149 each with free shipping. I went to the website that you sent - the picture that they have for the STZ04 is actually the STZ01. Look at the pic on the above website for the 04's and on Falken's website. The 04's are not unidirectional, so they can be rotated from side to side. I was afraid though that I would lose some performance with the 04's. The 01's handle great and are real stiff - and I had no problem with their limited rotation (restricted to one side). I was very please getting 50K miles out of a performance tire.

Old 07-29-2002, 12:34 PM
WLF
LightningCrew,
What pressure did you run in your STZ01 Falkins. I have set mine to the pressure on my door sticker but the dealer states they should be run at 40psi.
I burned up a set of Nitto NT404's in less then 20,000 miles somewhat because I overinflated them so am worried about pressure. You are right, the STZ01's are fine tires.

Old 08-01-2002, 08:48 AM
WLF - not really sure - I will check today to see what they are running at - I want to say around 35 psi, but I will verify that.

Quick Reply: Falkens