F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes (https://www.f150online.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-29/)
-   -   inadequate brakes (https://www.f150online.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes/77623-inadequate-brakes.html)

dabigdog 05-14-2002 08:34 PM

inadequate brakes

I have a 2001 SuperCrew 4x2 w/ 5.4. I notice that during regular driving, the brakes seem inadequate. Particularly the rear brakes - they seem to hardly work at all. Prior to this truck, I had a 1997 F-150 SuperCab w/ 4.6L (both had 4 wheel ABS) which also had similar problems.
When adding ANY kind of trailer, you really have to think about breaking FAAAAAAAAR in advance. I'd find it ridiculous to add trailer brakes to a 5'x10' trailer!
Took the '97 to the shop in the past on numerous occasions regarding this problem (not a ford dealership) and they couldnt really locate a problem, but offered to readjust the brakes which worked for a brief period of time. They also said if, occasionally, I would drive in reverse at about 20mph (on a dirt road) and then slam on the brakes, it would help to adjust them.

anyone else have similar problems? feels like only the front brakes are working. any fixes anyone can think of / suggest??
steve

Ford4ever 05-15-2002 03:43 PM

Have the rear brakes adjust and make sure the self adjuster is installed properly and is working. I don't know about the slamming on the brakes in reverse thing, if it doesn't say to do that in the owners manual (trust me it doesn't) then you shouldn't have to do it. As far as i know the rear brakes on these trucks are adjusted by using the parking brake. Since no one with an auto tranny uses there parking brake the dealers like to adjust them manually every 7500 miles.

-Jon

67mike 05-16-2002 07:42 AM

You need your system bled/checked. My 99 supercab 4x4 with the 4 wheel disks stops like a formula 1 car!

Definately get yours checked.......something is wrong.

dabigdog 05-16-2002 09:56 AM

parking brake

thanks for the suggestions guys...

by the way, i had also heard about the parking brake adjusting the brakes for you. i park on a hill both a work and at home and use my parking brake twice a day (sometimes more if i have to drive down to the mailbox or leave work to go get lunch or something) and i'm still having the problem.
had the '97 supercab adjusted several times by a brake shop and what i'm feeling with the brakes now on the '01 supercrew is the same i was feeling with that '97.
called the local dealership yesterday and the service manager agreed about bringing it in and having it adjusted....of course, he advised that it would NOT be covered by the warranty or even by my premium extended warranty i purchased thru ford. guess i'll be finding a new reputable brake service shop in the dallas area.
thanks again guys,
steve

TexfordD 05-27-2002 08:41 PM

best brake guy in big d

go see the guy that runs the brako shop on midway road at linbergh next to the addison airport. the brako shop on the EAST side of midway not the just brakes on the west side(idiots). he diagnosed a brake problem for me,repaired it and charged me a fair price. hell i was telling him i thought it was the master cylinder was going out when all it needed was to be flushed and bleed and he charged me 60 bucks and he could have easily taken me for the master cylinder and made a tidy profit. an honest shop,a true rarity these days :D