2005 F150 Front Passenger Brake Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 Front Passenger Brake Sticking

Hi all, I'm hoping for some help diagnosing a problem. I've got a 2005 F150 Screw with 285,000 miles. A few weeks back the front right brake locked up on me, so bad that I had to "force" it into the garage (hi reving in to break it loose and then into our garage). I attributed it to another bad/stuck caliper that I have had to replace a few other times over the years so I replaced all the front pads, rotors and calipers. All seemed to be running fine except a small shutter on the highway that did alarm me too much. I got about 10 miles on it total until last night coming off the interstate on an off ramp the front right completely locked up again (luckily I was on the off ramp and not the interstate!) When I released the brake pedal and gave it gas it broke loose, so I was able to drive it to a near by park using 1st and 2nd gear and only hitting the brakes once I reached a parking spot, where front right completely locked up again. My questions is where do I go now? Does it sound like I screwed up something while putting the new pads, rotors and calipers on? Or is it the hose that needs replaced? Or worse? Looking for suggestions on things to try, keeping in mind I'm doing this in a parking lot and not the luxury of my garage! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Side note that I believe to be unrelated, the front tires both have excessive wear on the inside (likely I am long over due for an alignment!)

Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would say your hoses need to be replaced.

I do that as standard practice when replacing calipers. Especially since the rubbers are so cheap.

Take your truck to a dedicated axle and alignment/spring shop to get it aligned. You won't regret it.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Thanks. I will get the hoses and put them on. Do you think I've ruined my new pads? I didn't drive too far...

Old 06-18-2019, 12:24 PM

At this point, let's correct the problem.

I would rather you replace the hoses, and find out it still happens on an already used set of pads.

Once they get used up, then replace them. Unless there is a pulsation/vibration, or they just don't stop good.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the help. I just did a drive by my truck on the way to pick up parts and the tire has gone completely flat . I'm guessing the sudden locking up of the brakes loosened it off of its bead?

Old 06-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I would say your hoses need to be replaced.

I do that as standard practice when replacing calipers. Especially since the rubbers are so cheap.

Take your truck to a dedicated axle and alignment/spring shop to get it aligned. You won't regret it.
You can buy a life time alignment at TiresPlus for less than what two alignments would cost you. I don't know if anyone else offers a life time alignment but it's well worth the costs.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:24 AM
So I went out to the parking lot where my truck was camping out, intending to replace the brake flex hose, I pull the wheel off and discover the caliper was awfully loose... upon further inspection it appears that I forgot to put in the bottom bolt when doing my brake job a few weeks back. looks like I’m not winning mechanic of the year award this year. Quick trip to Parts Store for another bolt and everything appears to be in working order. I put the spare on to go pump up the tire that was flat and soap the whole thing to discover that the caliper wearing on the inside of the rim has caused a hole to develop in the aluminum. Looks like a new wheel is in my future too.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:36 AM

Wow! You are lucky nothing worse happened.

At least you found the issue.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
We all screw up occasionally. Thanks for being man enough to tell us what the issue was!

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Front Passenger Brake Sticking