Brake pads installed incorrectly- does this seem plausible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pads installed incorrectly- does this seem plausible?

New to this forum, so hi everybody! I've had my truck for 3 years now and love it. Its a 2013 supercrew King Ranch.

In November 2016 I had new front brake pads and rotors installed. Today I had my truck at a different mechanic for some unrelated work, but when they got it up on the lift, he called me to say that the brake pads and rotors were shot. I hadn't heard any wear indication or noticed issues- the biggest complaint that I had was that every once in a while at slow speeds I thought I heard one of the wheels squeaking. After further inspection, the mechanic today said that both of the inside pads were on one wheel and the outside pads on the other wheel, so that is why there was no wear indication.

I've seen this thread about mixing up the inside and outside pads, but it seems like that this was fairly catastrophic and caused damage right away.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...wheel-tip.html

I drove like this for almost 20k miles over a year and a half. Does that sound plausible? I paid for the mechanic today to replace the pads and rotors, so I'm trying to figure out if the first mechanic was incompetent, the second mechanic was dishonest, or both.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pretty sure there are inside and outside pads on the new rigs..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 06-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember the exact year range. I believe it's 2011-2014? On the front, the pads are "Inner"/"Outer" specific. The "Inner" pad has an "Ear", or nub at the top of the pad. It's purpose is to make full contact with the brake cylinder pistons. I have an '11 Lariat. Two years ago I bought a complete front/rear brake kit from Brake Performance. It was with the slotted and dimpled rotors. I couldn't do the install myself because of back issues. So I took it to a shop that my sister uses. I told the guy, these are slotted and dimpled rotors, so they are "drivers side"/"passenger side" specific. AND, I told him about the front pads being inner/outer specific. He screwed it up, Twice. I picked the truck up late on a Friday. I took a look before I left and saw he had the front rotors on the wrong side. I immediately went inside and told him he had to pull it back in to correct it, which he did. On the way home I found a stretch of road to "Seat" the pads. It wasn't until after I got home and looked at the rotors that I discovered that on the front passenger side, only the outer portion of the rotor (Outer half towards edge) was getting pad contact. So the dummy didn't re-install the pads correctly. I had to wait till Monday to take the truck back to have him fix that. Then I had to go out and redo the seating procedure. Sorry for the long story, but yes, the front are "Inner"/"Outer specific.....

Attached Thumbnails Brake pads installed incorrectly- does this seem plausible?-16jan24_0120bw.jpg  

Last edited by Scarlet; 06-19-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I guess it is possible that I drove on them installed wrong for that long. From the thread above that I linked to, it said that it can chew up the wheels pretty easily if the pads are put on the wrong way because the caliper mounts at a slight angle.

Either way, I guess its probably time that I start doing it myself. That way I can know it was done right.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I do brake jobs myself for this very reason.

I've experienced and saw stuff like this before with expensive brake parts.

I saw a shop install a $600 EBC front rotor and pad kit wrong. The shop had to eat the cost, and the customer was livid.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
When I worked at Land Rover they had 4 individual pads, each marked for its location

LO, LI, RI, RO

Quick Reply: Brake pads installed incorrectly- does this seem plausible?