Smoking Hot!,

Old 12-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking Hot!,

Not sure if it’s in a good way though. I changed out rotors and pads (ceramic pads) on my ‘04 F150 FX4. Took it for a test drive, and it seemed to function as advertised. Initially the brakes were a little spongy, but I thought that was due to some air in the lines and th8ngs gettIng pressurized again. But close to home seemed to be ok.

however when I got back home, my front rotors were smoking (visibly smoking) and pretty hot. I want to say that is kinda normal, but I haven’t changed rotors and pads in years. I’ve put the truck in neutral and it rolls at the slight incline on my drive without an perceived binding. No noise whatsoever ever. Driving slow and speeding up doesn’t introduce any new noises. And during the rotor install everything went pretty smooth.

so as loaded as this might be - is the smoking normal? Should I worry about ruining something or worse?

Thank you

RTT

Old 12-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smoking is no good. Did you clean the rotors off of brake fluid or shipping coating?
Most rotors come with a special coating on them to prevent rusting in the box.
Also, did you follow the break in procedure for new rotors and pads? that helps seat
the pads to the rotors.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I'd replace the rubber brake line hoses to the front calipers. When they get old, they can collapse internally and prevent the pads from retracting right away.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 gt f150
Smoking is no good. Did you clean the rotors off of brake fluid or shipping coating?
Most rotors come with a special coating on them to prevent rusting in the box.
Also, did you follow the break in procedure for new rotors and pads? that helps seat
the pads to the rotors.
I finally figured out that I had forgotten to use brake clean on the rotors. They are not smoking any longer .

i came really close to the break in procedure. But that was just pure luck from me doing my functional test. I did all of the 40-10 portion, but blew it ffor the most part on the 35 MPH part. Largely in part because I didn’t know such a thing existed.

thanks for the reply.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sweet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoking Hot!,