On 2nd set of Poeerstop slotted/drilled rotors and seeing uneven wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On 2nd set of Poeerstop slotted/drilled rotors and seeing uneven wear

2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 XLT Lariat, 5.4l. I replaced all 4 calipers/rotors/pads 18 months ago, put 5k miles on them, and the pads were shredded, with the outer 1" of the front rotors being worn considerably. Sent everything back to RockAuto, and they honored the warranty. Put new set on the front ONLY (rear looked fine). But, 1,200 miles into new set, it looks like Im getting the same wear on the outer 1" of the front rotors (plus they seem to sound like sandpaper sliding on wood anytime I step on the brake pedal.) I set the mounting bolts and slide pins at the appropriate torque per Haynes. But Ive got no clue what's happening. Any ideas?

Old 10-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IMHO, sounds like brake material issues (primarily) combined with crossdrilled/slotted rotors I bet?

Try Bendix- TitaniuMetallic™ II, a newer lining (semi-metallic) and although I have not personally used this, I have always been impressed with Bendix brake linings and this particular lining IIMHO would be a low dust, excellent oem upgrade/mild performance type brake lining.

Fyi- braking co-efficient is what identifies the bite rating of the linings- you want the CE to be no less than that of the OEM.....this will drive most e-base distributors & big box store "experts" right out of their mind because they either cannot verify this info or you will find the spec is less than oem. IMHO, i would look for a CE that is .49 or greater.

If you are looking for more high end brake linings, I will suggest Carbotech engineering (used these for 25+ years on all my vehicles

Old 10-20-2017, 05:51 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct pads in the outer and inner positions?