Front End Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Front End Vibration

2007 F 150 XL, 4.2 V6, 140K miles

Back in June 2017 I had new tires put on my truck. I noticed a vibration in the front end ONLY at 50-53 MPH. Actually, it's more pronounced at 51 MPH.
I brought it back to the tire store and they checked the balance on the front tires. They were still balanced ok. So, they switched the front tires from side to side and went ahead and re-balanced the rear tires while I was there. Only 1 tire needed to be re-balanced on the rear.
So, off I went again. As I approached 50 MPH, here comes the vibration again. I do know this for a fact, that the previous tires NEVER gave me any problems. I had to replace them because they were showing signs of dry rot. They were starting to get cracks in them.
Anyway, I was thinking that if they switch the front tires to the back, back tires to the front, and the vibration stops, it can only mean 1 of 2 things;
1) A bad tire.
2) A bent rim.
Opinions, please?

Old 09-22-2017, 02:03 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The tire store should be able to find a bent rim or bad tire. The tires may need road force balancing.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by glc
The tire store should be able to find a bent rim or bad tire. The tires may need road force balancing.
GLC, you might have something there. When I first bought my F 150 in 07 there was a slight vibration somewhere on the truck. The Ford tech took it for a test drive with a WDS machine. The machine tracked it to somewhere in the right rear. Back then there was a vibration damper kit Ford would install on the frame to cure this problem. Well, they installed one, but the vibration was still there. They then did the road force balancing to ALL of the tires. Vibration gone!