Grinding of the brakes....Pads are good

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding of the brakes....Pads are good

Need advise on grinding of the front brakes.
Can't seem to find any thing on this.

2002 F150
4X4
121,000 mi
Bought new in the fall if 01

Problem:
Can feel a grinding when I get on the brakes. Sometimes its worse than other times. There is no sound of metal on metal....just the a "sound" that maybe is like a rubber vibration or something. Cant really explain it.
Have pulled the wheels and check the pads....plenty of pad left. Rotors are in good shape also.

Talked with my NAPA dealer and he said to have the rotors turned. So I carried them down to our local "Gateway Tire & Auto Center" and had them turn em.

After about 3/4 weeks....they are doing the same thing.

I don't pull much...a fishing boat ( Aluminum ) or a ski boat ...( ski boat has surge brakes on it )

My thoughts are...to replace the pads.......Wagner's TQ
replace the rotors.......?
and maybe the calibers too.

Pads have been replaced before.....NAPA
Rotors have been replaced too......NAPA also.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Hump/ Phil

Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 PM
yep, sounds about the same problem I have. It doesn't do it all the time either, I ran the most expensive brakes autozone had. Only thing i can think of is maybe the pad is hanging up inside the caliper or something... I am about to warranty out the pads and rotors and change the calipers and hardware and see if that makes a difference. I havent seen anyone reply

Old 07-20-2015, 09:50 PM
I did a search and it came back with 2 things, either one the caliper slides are blacked up and gummed up with brake dust and need to be cleaned and lubed, or there are hairline cracks in the pads. Most changed pads and rotors and it fixed the problem. I myself am just going to order some nice calipers, and warranty out the pads and rotors.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:14 AM
Originally Posted by ruckus226
I did a search and it came back with 2 things, either one the caliper slides are blacked up and gummed up with brake dust and need to be cleaned and lubed, or there are hairline cracks in the pads. Most changed pads and rotors and it fixed the problem. I myself am just going to order some nice calipers, and warranty out the pads and rotors.
What make are your pads and rotors?

Old 07-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the come back, ruckus. I was in the "CARQUEST" store yesterday and the guy behind the counter said something of the same thing. That if any of the hardware was messin up....then that might be the problem. In my case....I have change out the pads and rotors.....but have never changed the calibers. And the calibers may be my problem. Will have to change out, but that's going to be a few week till I get back from vac. Got my priorities straight.....cold beer and the lake for a week.....that comes first. These brakes have been doing this for a while....so a few weeks longer aint going to hurt. Keep me updated on your side and Ill post back in a few.

Hump.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Have either of you done a brake flush? You can also rebuild the calipers and save some cash for more cold beer. They aren't that hard to rebuild.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 AM
RSTHD150, no..I have not done a brake flush. I was thinking of doing that when I do the calibers. As far as the calibers go.....I would rather just swap out the calibers than rebuild. What are we talking $ difference? I may have to look into that. Note: If I do the calibers....doing only the front?

Hump

Old 07-21-2015, 10:21 AM
In my humble opinion I would flush the brakes and do new rotors and pads. I like using the synthetic dot 3 from valvoline but it's up to you. Also I would use fords parts for pads and rotors. I warped two sets of rotors from autozone and decided not to go with their product due to lack of quality but again it's your call. Cost of camper will vary from 80-130 probably depending on where you get it. Rebuild kit is $10.

My experience I. Brakes is it depends on the compound of pad and rotor. Hope you find the problem soon!

Old 07-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by RSTHD150
In my humble opinion I would flush the brakes and do new rotors and pads. I like using the synthetic dot 3 from valvoline but it's up to you. Also I would use fords parts for pads and rotors. I warped two sets of rotors from autozone and decided not to go with their product due to lack of quality but again it's your call. Cost of camper will vary from 80-130 probably depending on where you get it. Rebuild kit is $10.

My experience I. Brakes is it depends on the compound of pad and rotor. Hope you find the problem soon!
Thanks for the info. I will check into it and post back. It will be a few days till I'm able to ck and repair. Sounds like I will be going with the kits. That's a lot of difference in $.

Hump

Old 07-21-2015, 03:56 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I have Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic pads and Centric Premium rotors on the front of mine. They are smooth, quiet, and are almost completely dust-free. They also have 115k on them and just passed inspection. Still on the OEM front calipers and complete rear brakes at 180k.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:12 PM
It might not be the pads and rotors, but it could be the wheel bearing that is producing a grinding sound every time you step on the brakes. It happened to me once and turned out it was the wheel bearings crown.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Thanks, lowrider. I'll check into this when I dig into this again.

Centric PQ......sounds like their pretty good........ Google

Hump

Old 07-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Brake calipers are less expensive at rockauto if you can wait for delivery. They even accept the old calipers when you return them for cores. You get a shipping label from them at their corporate rate when you ship them back.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Roadie....looks like we be going down the road in the same model. That may be true...but I hate to buy over the web and then its wrong when it shows up @ the house.
I'll have to check and see the what the difference is.

Thanks,
Hump

Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I bought new hoses left front and all 3 rear and rear calipers from rockauto when my rear brakes were overheating. I was lucky that everything was the correct part and was much cheaper than the parts stores. The right front hose ruptured on the boat ramp and had been replaced already. But, I'm retired and had a car and 2 motorcycles for transportation besides my wife's car.

Quick Reply: Grinding of the brakes....Pads are good