What's best for winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's best for winter driving?

We at The Tire Rack have recently tested summer, all-season and winter tires on one of the worst winter driving conditions......ice. We know summer tires are not intended to be driven on ice, however, we still receive a large number of questions inquiring about summer tires for all-season use.

Watch as we compare the distinct differences between each of these tires by evaluating acceleration, stopping and cornering capabilities.

Click to watch Tire Testing on Ice Video

Click here to find out what is available for your vehicle

Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 AM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very few people up here in Michigan give a **** about winter tires and I find it mind-boggling.

Biggest lie - okay, I'm exagerating, ONE HUGE BIG FAT Lie people tell themselves..

"My car goes great in the snow!"

No...your car's TIRES go great in the snow. And probably NOT great, they might get your car moving okay, but your car can't turn or stop.

I spent hours last winter debating with a co-worker. Her hubby told her she only needed 'snow tires' (dated term) on the drive wheels of her van cuz 'that'd help her make it just fine!'.

Blah. Dont. get. me. started. But you already did, AJ. See what you've done? It's august but I'm already on my Winter Tire Rant!

Keep preachin' truth.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I run vredestein xtremes in the winter....definite improvement over all season tires...

Old 08-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor
Thanks for the replies!

DMP, the amount of traction and confidence from winter tires simply can't be spoken about to someone who is hard-headed about how they can transform winter driving. I say the word transform because that is what they truly do.

I enjoy driving people around in the nasty winter conditions with my winter tires and watch their amazement. And you are correct, winter tires are to be used in sets of four.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:23 PM
I bought my first set of snow tires at Tire Rack about 5 years ago. (I actually had them installed at the South Bend location)

I agree that the difference is amazing.

I originally did it just to save money - 17" snow tires and a used set of OEM wheels were cheaper than new 18" all season tires for my stock wheels.

4WD might get you going with all-season tires, but it won't steer you or get you to stop on ice!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Tires make ALL the difference, I've driven in Minnesota winters for 30 years in everything from a '68 Riviera on skinny bias plies to 4x4s on all terrains to my little Focus SVT on Dunlop Graspic snows and that little Focus was better to drive in the winter than anything else I've ever driven.

Obviously something bigger and heavier with four wheel drive and modern snows would do even better but I've not had the chance to drive one.

Modern snow tires are miraculous.

-Steve

Old 08-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor
They really are. We are doing our annual tire testing at the ice skating rink this week.

Testing is always a good time!

Old 08-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by AJ@tirerack.com
They really are. We are doing our annual tire testing at the ice skating rink this week.

Testing is always a good time!
My favorite story about my Focus on Graspics was when we had an ice storm so all the roads were pure glare ice, it barely slowed me down.

Got next to a 4x4 Dodge at a stop light and when it went green he was stuck spinning all four wheels while I simply drove away from him with zero drama.

-Steve

Old 11-03-2014, 04:20 PM
New Tires Needed... not sure what to buy

Spent good money on some goodyear wrangler mt/r kevlar for my crew cab about a year n a half ago and they wore terrible and ready for new ones, but having a hard time finding a source for good reviews of a nice truck tire with some meatiness to them that also is good for pulling a cargo trailer. (Construction)
I was recomended the mastercraft couser axt 10 ply, but not real impressed with the looks of it. Any suggestions on a good road tire that looks great would be appreciated.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wrangler Duratracs.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks for input- I will check those out

Old 11-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor
A good all-terrain tire would be a better solution. I would also recommend the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain with Kevlar or the Firestone Destination AT.

There is a big difference between a very good performing all-terrain tire and a off road tire that performs on road. They are designed for two different things. The MTR is an off road tire, designed for such. In its element, it is amazing.

As someone else mentioned, the Duratrac would be about as far as I would go for an aggressive off-road tire that will be used on the road.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the input AJ... I would have took a serious look at choosing the Firestone Destination AT, but made a choice last week on ordering some that our local company who works on our vehicles recommended...mastercraft axt (50,000 mile tread wear warranty) 10 ply.
I hope they are a decent tire, I have had Mastercrafts on my previous owned fords and they seemed to hold up decent. We will see.
Thanks again.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor
You are welcome.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by AJ@tirerack.com
A good all-terrain tire would be a better solution. I would also recommend the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain with Kevlar or the Firestone Destination AT.

There is a big difference between a very good performing all-terrain tire and a off road tire that performs on road. They are designed for two different things. The MTR is an off road tire, designed for such. In its element, it is amazing.

As someone else mentioned, the Duratrac would be about as far as I would go for an aggressive off-road tire that will be used on the road.
I know this thread is sort of old but i recently purchased a set of toyo open country at2 extreme tires. They are all terrain and come in two different types the regular at2 and the extreme. In the winter no matter what tires you have eventually you will slip and slide but so far these tires have been performing pretty well especially for an all terrain. Been through it all mud, water, snow and slick conditions they have gripped the road. I will probably only buy this tire for the rest of my trucks.

Quick Reply: What's best for winter driving?