Which tire? Toyo MT, MT ATZ p3, DC FCII

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tire? Toyo MT, MT ATZ p3, DC FCII

I'm in the market for a new set of tires and i was going to get the toyos but i heard that they dont do so well in snow. I live in Iowa so i do a bit of driving in the snow and dont want a tire that sucks in it. I like the look of the toyo and the tread life of it. I guess my question is has anyone had experience with the toyo in the snow? I have heard some reviews about the other two tires doing pretty well in the snow but i havent heard anything about tread life with them. I was interested in the duratracs but saw that they only come in load range d in a 285 70 17 and i would like to have a load range e tire. Please give me any information on the tires.

Thanks,
ccdline73

Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 AM
ive ran two sets of toyos in the snow. an ~11 inch wide and a 12.5 inch wide. both load range e. both did well in "snow" so either fresh fluff, slightly compacted, or slush. the 11 inch wide did better once it started getting firmer because the wider tires will try to float over it, but that goes for every kind of tire in snow/mud/sand....

ive had them both on frozen/compacted snow and neither did fantastic, but an mt isnt designed for that. thats where the blizzaks come in to play. mts will pull better through fresh snow. neither of my sets were studded btw.

toyo is a great mt, the best in my opinion. they are the quietest and longest lasting (50k easy if you rotate) mt out there

Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
jdecon is leading you down the right track! Tire comparisons are all relative and should be taken with a grain of salt (not referring to tire comparo's in magazines however where they compare several tires in the exact same conditions)

What I mean by this is you will get folks jump on here and tell you that their [insert favorite brand here]'s do great to excellent in the snow [insert other condition here]...OK...compared to what? From the tires you listed, the Toyo's will be the worst in snow. I'm not saying in any fashion they're bad, I'm saying simply by design, they'll be the worst of the listed choices...see the difference?

Someone once told me nothing sticks better to snow than snow! You don't get this effect with a MT because the big open voids clean themselves out.

On a personal note, I won't ever own a set of the Toyo's simply because everyone and their brother has a set. My next tire will be the P3! I've been following it since it came out and haven't seen anything bad about it yet. Look awesome and looks like it works great everywhere.

I have GY Wrangler MT/R-K's on my truck right now and love them. Hybrid, asymmetrical tire desigend to work "good" everywhere. They're awesome and I love them. But on no kidding, serious winter roads, we take my wifes RWD Lexus shod with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's...this car with those tires and electronic conrols out the wazoo will kick my trucks butt in winter conditions, peroid!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I agree with you Galaxy on how everyone runs the toyos so I was kind of trying to stay away from them but if they were a good tire I wanted to consider them. I love the look of the p3 because it reminds me of the Baja racing tires so I was hoping its performance was going to be good. Im currently running kanati mudhogs and they are about bald at 28k miles so I want to get something that performs and last longer. Any info on the DC fun country's? What's the tire life on the atz p3?

Quick Reply: Which tire? Toyo MT, MT ATZ p3, DC FCII