17" Fuel Hostage

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17" Fuel Hostage

I have been searching and searching for 17" wheel offset and I can't find anything. I am purchasing 17" Fuel Hostage wheels that are available in 17x8.5 +25 offset or 17x9 +1 offset. I will be running a 285-70-17 tire. I would love the tires to stick out a small amount past the fender (1/4 to 3/4 inch). Can any one give me any advice or better yet does any one have pictures?

I am a first time wheel buyer so I apologize. I'm just kind of confused.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mannarino
I have been searching and searching for 17" wheel offset and I can't find anything. I am purchasing 17" Fuel Hostage wheels that are available in 17x8.5 +25 offset or 17x9 +1 offset. I will be running a 285-70-17 tire. I would love the tires to stick out a small amount past the fender (1/4 to 3/4 inch). Can any one give me any advice or better yet does any one have pictures?

I am a first time wheel buyer so I apologize. I'm just kind of confused.
These are pics of my '04 Lariat 4x4 leveled with 17x9 wheels with 0 degree offset (5"BS) with 295x70x17 Toyo MT's (33.5x12) stuck out 2 inches more then stock...

Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 PM

The +1 offset wheels will give it a pretty wide stance, which prefer personally. But I have 20x8.5 wheels with +20 offset with 275/60/20 tires and they stick out just past the fenders by about an inch in the front. I just went out and looked at them, but only have my phone so I don't have any pics. I think the +25s would give you what you're after, since my setup is pretty darn close to what you'll have.

Actually, I have a pic in my album labeled "pavement princess" with 7 pics in it:

Last edited by KMAC0694; 11-01-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM
17x8 wheels with a +25 degree or 5.5 BS with same 295x70x17 Toyo's...stick out only 1/2 inch more then stock.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 PM

PawPaw, you're making me upset again with how low my 2wd is compared to a 4wd, and with a truck you don't even have anymore no less!

My pic was sideways when it was originally uploaded, sorry about that. And that pic makes it look like the wheels are sticking out more than they actually do. Either offset would look good, but I think it depends on what type of tire you'll be going with. Mud terrains like PawPaw's look good to me when they're poking out, but milder tires like mine are sometimes best to have tucked in a little more

Old 11-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
PawPaw, you're making me upset again with how low my 2wd is compared to a 4wd, and with a truck you don't even have anymore no less!

My pic was sideways when it was originally uploaded, sorry about that. And that pic makes it look like the wheels are sticking out more than they actually do. Either offset would look good, but I think it depends on what type of tire you'll be going with. Mud terrains like PawPaw's look good to me when they're poking out, but milder tires like mine are sometimes best to have tucked in a little more
For awhile I thought you rolled your truck! Before I retired I was putting 20K miles a year on my truck's so I would go through tires pretty often. Living out in the country 4x4's are the norm...I've got one and so does both of my son in laws. Mostly Ford's and Chevy's in this part of the bayou country!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by PawPaw
For awhile I thought you rolled your truck! Before I retired I was putting 20K miles a year on my truck's so I would go through tires pretty often. Living out in the country 4x4's are the norm...I've got one and so does both of my son in laws. Mostly Ford's and Chevy's in this part of the bayou country!
I do have a friend who rolled his Chevy, but not me! A bunch of people out here have 4X4s and I'd love one, but the truth is, a lot of us don't use them very often. If you're in the swamps, you gotta have it, but most of our land is pretty dry. If I would have made it a higher priority if I would use it more, but I wasn't willing to pay the $3-4k extra once I stumbled upon my truck for thousands less than all the others I was looking at. I want it just to have it more than I'd actually use it. We've got a lot of everything though, unfortunately, very unfortunately . . .

Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help. I will probably go with +25 offset because I am going with an AT.

It is going to be weird going from MT to an AT. I am hoping they wear better!

Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 AM

What size MTs do you have right now, and on the stock wheels, right? MTs are strange cause some people get incredible mileage out of them, while some get terrible mileage.

No problem though! These forums are for helping out in situations exactly like this. God definitely knows I've been helped out multiple times

Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 AM
I ran the firestone destination m/ts for about a year in a 285/70 on 17in eagle alloys maybe 20k on them rotated every 6k miles, but that's all they lasted, I assume due to a bad wheel bearing.....I went back to the tires that were on the truck when I bought it, 285/70 17 firestone destination a/t and have about 40k on them looking to make it through til spring time. Going from a m/t to a/t made all the difference to me, a quieter ride and a smoother ride. Around here a mud tire is not really a must have a good a/t that cleans out is just as good

Old 11-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
What size MTs do you have right now, and on the stock wheels, right? MTs are strange cause some people get incredible mileage out of them, while some get terrible mileage.

No problem though! These forums are for helping out in situations exactly like this. God definitely knows I've been helped out multiple times
I have Cooper STT 285-70-17 on stock 17" wheels now. I had them for a year and a half. Less than 20,000 miles and they need replaced. I will not make it through winter on them. I paid $1200 for them.

I found a tire package with 17" Fuel Hostages and Toyo Open Country AT2 for $1550. I figured for a couple hundred extra dollars I might as well go for it. The Toyos will be a 285-70-17 as well. I am hoping they last a lot longer and perform to my expectations.

I mainly drive paved roads half in town and half on the highway. My truck does see the woods a good bit though for hunting and fishing spots. Most is hard pack dirt and rocks but there are some spots of mud/clay. The coopers did pretty good but in the nasty stuff they wouldn't clear as good as I hoped. I will be happy if the ATs do good in everything but the mud. I figured they wont have a very good chance in any thick mud.

Name:  smithtonoffroading033.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  268.2 KB

Last edited by mannarino; 11-02-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Hmm . . . did you rotate them every 5k or so? That's pretty terrible to get from any tire and that isn't typical. My tires never last, but that's cause I spin them too much haha.

That's an awesome price for wheels and tires though! I sometimes forget that 17" wheels make everything so much cheaper. Toyos are great for most people, so they should last twice as long as long as you ball joints, alignment, etc. didn't mess the Coopers up. I'd consider checking everything out to see if anything looks worn out or something

Old 11-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Ya every other oil change, so every 6000 miles. I read all kinds of good reviews on the STT that is why I bought them. I loved the tire just hated how fast they wear.

I made sure those tires never ever spun unless in mud. Well until now... Now they spin all the time! haha

Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 AM

Huh, that certainly is odd then. I've tried to be better about ruining tires once I stepped up to $200 a piece ones. I'm gonna REALLY have to whenever I get mud tires. Spinnin 'em is fun, but not when you can feel the money being sucked out of your bank account as it's happening haha. I miss when I purposefully trashed the tires on the 22's that were on my truck when I bought it, good times, good times . . .

Old 11-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Okay I need more help Haha. For $100 more I can get Nitto Trail Grapplers instead of the Toyo AT2.

Like I said before I drive mostly on the road but my truck does see the woods a good bit.

I am not worried about road noise, I just want them to last more than 20,000 miles!

Do you think its worth it?

Quick Reply: 17" Fuel Hostage